Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

good stuff jed, you selling the cassette copies?

Ya, probably only a few though Chill, maybe 20 copies or less. They sound good though. I like the sound of them better than the cd's, they're a bit more, ah, 'rounded' might be the word?

Jed, what did you use to print the tape labels and covers? What kind of blank tapes did you use?

I've got a local guy who still supplies cassette tape products Steve Gamma Magnetics so I get my cassettes and labels from him. I use a cheap old Casio digital camera that can store hi-res .tiff images and a cheap canon flat bed scanner for the images. The artwork I do in MS Publisher and print off on a Canon color laser on both sides on 100gsm paper. Then I just cut them with a 15" steel ruler and a craft knife on a cutting pad. The CD wheels I print on another Canon edge to edge ink jet.

:)

This was running a bit hot towards the end of the track, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. A little less happy at the fact that it was first written in 2005 and has taken until now to get into a state I'm happy with.
I wouldn't try to read too much into the lyrics, it's a long story.

Music by myself, lyrics by myself and James Rolls.
Recorded on TSR-8, using a Watkins copicat for echo on the combo organ and mellotron(*), and 7.5 ips delay on the vocals using a Revox B77.
Mixed to a Studer A807.

(*)which are, unfortunately, fake

There is a house in new Orleans...
Yes, I suppose there is. Actually the main inspiration for doing this (musically, anyway) was "Mists of Time" by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.
Though I'd be lying if I said the House of the Rising Sun didn't contribute as well.

I like your stuff JP. What it makes me think, not that this is a genre but I think Sci Fi Rock.
There is definitely a strong fantasy/SF element to it, yes. A lot of it reflects my reading habits really - the best music happens when I get emotionally involved in a particular story or concept.

And thanks for the feedback, guys.

I like the sci-fi rock, but i'd really like to hear the rest of that radio theater piece - did you finish that? is it posted somewhere in toto?

Sort-of. One of the problems with the production style I've used is that we don't really have much editing of the story to make it more accessible in an audio-only format, so it can be confusing if you haven't read the comic it was based on. What I usually do is take the strips from the webcomic, edit out all the speech bubbles and lock them against the audio in iMovie. This is a somewhat labour-intensive process.

The first two productions we've done are available on youtube in that format and I could link to them if you're interested. The third production, which is probably the one you're thinking of has not yet been put into slideshow format.
I was negotiating to try and obtain the original strips from the author in multilayered format so that I could simply turn off the speech bubbles instead of redrawing the missing images, which is a lot harder as her artistic skill has improved. However that's still going slowly.
I can link to the soundtrack and the comic if you're happy to try and run them side-by-side, though.

Also, that particular arc of the comic long and so the most recent production is only the first part of that story arc. Production on the rest of the audio is stalled until the lead actor recovers from his cold and is able to record the lines we're missing :rolleyes:

If you're curious, a 'test reel' for one of the key scenes in a future episode is here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/tapewolf?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p&fmt=22
...not the usual voices, it was just a test. IIRC the music was done on tape so it does kind-of count as analogue :P

("SAIA Blues" is also taken from an earlier story in that comic, by the way)

Last edited:
What is your recording process? I like the song but I think it will sound better in the final mix.

Well it's pretty basic, I had the drums set up about 10 feet from my bathroom, threw 2 mics in the bathroom, a ribbon and a tube mic and panned them a little left and a little right, which I thought gave the drum set a strange like half mono half stereo sound and I then threw a mic over the drummers left shoulder to get a little more of the snare. Then I put the organ thru the MPA gold and cranked it until it was distorting as much as possible, then hit it with a compressor. On the guitar cab I believe was a gt 67 (wearing a winter hat to cut out some of the highs :D) placed where my ear told me it sounded good. and then a 57 between the cab and the 67 pointing directly at the 67, then those two were panned left and right a little bit which stretched it out in a pretty cool way can't remember if I flipped the phase or not but I remember it was an important decision :confused: , and I threw a 112 in the back of the cab to get some of low end. For the guitar in the intro I had two of my friends walking around the room with microphones while the guitarist played, I sat at the console and rode the faders. When we did vocals I had the singer stand outside of the bathroom singing into the bathroom at the 67 which went to the MPA which I tried to get to distort only at the loudest moments of the song. It was all recorded to my Tascam MSR 24 through my soundcraft ghost. I like to print all of the EQing so that's all pretty much done except for some minor adjusting. As far as the final mix I definitely don't want to have the backing vocals panned like they are now, and I think we're gonna cut them out for the first 2 bars. I think there's just some minor level changes as well. Like I said I'm a beginner, but I'm trying my absolute hardest and having a fuckin blast.

Thanks so much for listening, I really appreciate it,
-Barrett

Oh and when you said you liked the song, did you mean the music or the recording?

Sounds like your making do with your location (bathroom recording and such) and your equipment. I've never worked with an MSR-24 (own an MS-16 and MSR-16 though) - but the Soundcraft is a great board, isn't it?

Do you have the Ghost or the Ghost LE? If you've got the standard Ghost, I definitely recommend using one of your tracks as a SMPTE track to set up mute automation. I'm just starting to get into that now, but since I'm not using noise reduction on the MS-16, I kinda have to.

Glad to hear someone your age playing prog/space rock!

-MD

Well it's pretty basic, I had the drums set up about 10 feet from my bathroom, threw 2 mics in the bathroom, a ribbon and a tube mic and panned them a little left and a little right, which I thought gave the drum set a strange like half mono half stereo sound and I then threw a mic over the drummers left shoulder to get a little more of the snare. Then I put the organ thru the MPA gold and cranked it until it was distorting as much as possible, then hit it with a compressor. On the guitar cab I believe was a gt 67 (wearing a winter hat to cut out some of the highs :D) placed where my ear told me it sounded good. and then a 57 between the cab and the 67 pointing directly at the 67, then those two were panned left and right a little bit which stretched it out in a pretty cool way can't remember if I flipped the phase or not but I remember it was an important decision :confused: , and I threw a 112 in the back of the cab to get some of low end. For the guitar in the intro I had two of my friends walking around the room with microphones while the guitarist played, I sat at the console and rode the faders. When we did vocals I had the singer stand outside of the bathroom singing into the bathroom at the 67 which went to the MPA which I tried to get to distort only at the loudest moments of the song. It was all recorded to my Tascam MSR 24 through my soundcraft ghost. I like to print all of the EQing so that's all pretty much done except for some minor adjusting. As far as the final mix I definitely don't want to have the backing vocals panned like they are now, and I think we're gonna cut them out for the first 2 bars. I think there's just some minor level changes as well. Like I said I'm a beginner, but I'm trying my absolute hardest and having a fuckin blast.

Thanks so much for listening, I really appreciate it,
-Barrett

Oh and when you said you liked the song, did you mean the music or the recording?

I really liked both.

Haha thanks! I didn't mean to get weird, its just I usually get torn apart whenever I post something and it's rare that I get a compliment.

Thanks a lot,
-Barrett

Sounds like your making do with your location (bathroom recording and such) and your equipment. I've never worked with an MSR-24 (own an MS-16 and MSR-16 though) - but the Soundcraft is a great board, isn't it?

Do you have the Ghost or the Ghost LE? If you've got the standard Ghost, I definitely recommend using one of your tracks as a SMPTE track to set up mute automation. I'm just starting to get into that now, but since I'm not using noise reduction on the MS-16, I kinda have to.

Glad to hear someone your age playing prog/space rock!

-MD

Yeah if you listen closely enough its obvious I would benefit from using the mute groups. But I do have the standard board and I love it!

A note about the song, when we started tracking we had the intentions of recording the drums at 15 ips and then playing it back/ recording everything else at 7.5, but we ended up scrappin the idea so we ended up recording it all in 7.5, saves tape but I would have liked to have done it all in 15.

Thanks so much for listening,
-Barrett

Haha well that's good, at least it saved me about 2 and a half minutes of tape!

Sadly I sent the recording to a mastering engineer about 2 days ago and got the track back today and he just destroyed it :( It sounds so harsh and noisy and loud now, he didn't preserve any of the subtleties or nuances of the song, and it no longer sounds raw or pure or natural (all of the things I took pride in recreating). I have to look for a new M.E. any suggestions!?

-Barrett

Haha well that's good, at least it saved me about 2 and a half minutes of tape!

Sadly I sent the recording to a mastering engineer about 2 days ago and got the track back today and he just destroyed it :( It sounds so harsh and noisy and loud now, he didn't preserve any of the subtleties or nuances of the song, and it no longer sounds raw or pure or natural (all of the things I took pride in recreating). I have to look for a new M.E. any suggestions!?

-Barrett

Try it yourself and see how it turns out.

Back