v3.0 Just downloaded it today

After playing with it some more, the only thing I'm missing is some sort of built-in track EQ. There isn't by chance anything in the works, is it?

Well personally, I love the 'reaEQ'...it's parametric...you can just keep adding bands/low cut/high cut etc...it normally uses around 0.5% of your Reapers CPU power, so say you're mixing ten tracks and you drop one on each, that's around 5% for all your EQ processing. It's my favourite EQ without a doubt.

By the way just incase you don't know...if you grab the mixer(top bar normally just below the rate slider), you can drag the mixer up which reveals all your plugs and sends and is alot easier than having to use the effects button.

I then just drop one rea EQ on my first track...then just drag it to all the others. Ok it's not quite the inbuilt track EQ you're talking about but try it...it does me just fine.

Mart.
ps..don't forget also, you can configure a template...so when you insert a new track, you could have it pop open with a rea EQ mounted...though I've never done this as I just drop one in from my favs folder or even easier as I say...I just drag one from the adjacent track.

Another silly little thing I miss from Sonar is a hotkey that mutes/unmutes or solos/unsolos the active track. I'm sure there is probably a way to do it, but I'm one of the guys that adapts to the tool, rather than adapting the tool to my own needs.

I'll have to force myself to figure it out.....

Another silly little thing I miss from Sonar is a hotkey that mutes/unmutes or solos/unsolos the active track. I'm sure there is probably a way to do it, but I'm one of the guys that adapts to the tool, rather than adapting the tool to my own needs.

I'll have to force myself to figure it out.....

It's under options somewhere - I'll dig it out tonight.

Mart - yeah, EQ plugins aren't the issue. I just liked the fact that in Sonar (and, I gather, a lot of other multitrack programs), the channels were modeled like a real channel on a mixing board, with trim, volume, and EQ controlls already there.

It's under options somewhere - I'll dig it out tonight.

Mart - yeah, EQ plugins aren't the issue. I just liked the fact that in Sonar (and, I gather, a lot of other multitrack programs), the channels were modeled like a real channel on a mixing board, with trim, volume, and EQ controlls already there.
Vegas was like that. E.Q., compression and a noise gate were all preloaded when you inserted a new track. They were off by default, but if you went in and tweaked it, they would be active.

When I was thinking about getting Reaper, I was told that Vegas was the model for the interface. It's close, but there are subtle differences I don't even notice any longer.

Vegas was like that. E.Q., compression and a noise gate were all preloaded when you inserted a new track. They were off by default, but if you went in and tweaked it, they would be active.

When I was thinking about getting Reaper, I was told that Vegas was the model for the interface. It's close, but there are subtle differences I don't even notice any longer.

A buddy of mine who's been using Vegas forever (I think he's been running like V2.0 or something crazy :p) tells me that too - he had no desire to try anything else since he knew Vegas, it was stable, and ran well on his machine. Someone told him that so he downloaded it, and he's boon hooked ever since.

If that's the case, I wonder if there's a way to configure it? Even, I guess, saving a new default template or modifying the parameters so every time a new track opened up, by default it had an EQ plugin in it would get me there...

Yep.. what he ^ said. I bought mine on version 2.54 and still have the e-mail that tells me I'm good till 3.99.
So there's an actual mention of the one version upgrade policy in the mail? I had a feeling that was something they decided on during version 2, as I bought it a couple weeks before the official 2 release and figured I would have waited a bit had I known of that policy. My email doesn't say much more than the license number and thank you for your purchase. I'll probably hang in 2.58 unless 3 gets something I really need (I'm a Steinberg head).

- yeah, I know... boo hoo :D:D:D

Take Care

If that's the case, I wonder if there's a way to configure it? Even, I guess, saving a new default template or modifying the parameters so every time a new track opened up, by default it had an EQ plugin in it would get me there...

As I said earlier...just create a track template.
Insert a new track...drop an EQ on it and/or a gate or reverb or whatever you like then, right click on the track and select save as track template...name it and save it and then whenever you want a new track...just click insert, scroll to track template and select the name of the one you saved earlier....you don't even have to pick it from a folder or anything, it's just there in the menu waiting for ya.

Mart.

A buddy of mine who's been using Vegas forever (I think he's been running like V2.0 or something crazy :p) tells me that too - he had no desire to try anything else since he knew Vegas, it was stable, and ran well on his machine. Someone told him that so he downloaded it, and he's boon hooked ever since.

That's what I do...

After playing with it some more, the only thing I'm missing is some sort of built-in track EQ. There isn't by chance anything in the works, is it?

Even better. You can create virtual knobs for any plug-in parameter. If it's not visible by default, right-click the master track in the MCP and select "Show FX parameters when size permits."

Now just click on a knob and you'll get a list of plug-ins on that particular track and its parameters.

So for the SONAR EQ, you can load ReaEQ (or whatever your favorite EQ is,) click an empty knob and either select the parameters you want to use, or select "all parameters." You can then save that track as a template for future use, as mentioned before.

Pretty dang close if you ask me! (I'm an ex-sonar user)

Examples:
TCP View
MCP View

Even better. You can create virtual knobs for any plug-in parameter.

Wow dude...I had no idea you could do this...that's brilliant and will really help out. I'm gonna have a play with this now, thanks...

Mart.

Edit:-what is so good about this is that, now I can add a bypass for the plugin directly to the strip...even for plugin's that don't normally have a bypass. So much easier for mixing down.

Last edited:
Edit:-what is so good about this is that, now I can add a bypass for the plugin directly to the strip...even for plugin's that don't normally have a bypass. So much easier for mixing down.

Also, shift-clicking an effect in the MCP will bypass it (alt-click removes it), or did you mean something different?

You guys should really read the manual. This program is so rich with functionality, it's not even funny. You can find it on the left-hand side of http://www.reaper.fm. (14mb PDF)
...or just click here ;)

Yea, I'm aware of shift-clicking dude...this is how I normally did it but it's easier now to be able to pan the track alittle...click the EQ disable....adjust the fader a touch...click the EQ disable....you get my drift?

The only disappointment though is...not being able to rename them, so if I should have 4 plugs and I want to insert a disable for three of them...they're all just called 'disable' which is a shame cause you then have to hover over them to find which one is which.

They waste the space cause it says disable(normal) where the 'normal' could be the plug name instead, as we know when the disable is on as it turns yellow !
I can't see any immediate work around...can you?

Mart.

Even better. You can create virtual knobs for any plug-in parameter. If it's not visible by default, right-click the master track in the MCP and select "Show FX parameters when size permits."

Now just click on a knob and you'll get a list of plug-ins on that particular track and its parameters.

So for the SONAR EQ, you can load ReaEQ (or whatever your favorite EQ is,) click an empty knob and either select the parameters you want to use, or select "all parameters." You can then save that track as a template for future use, as mentioned before.

Pretty dang close if you ask me! (I'm an ex-sonar user)

Examples:
TCP View
MCP View

Wow. That's pretty pimp, thanks a ton. :D

Yea, I'm aware of shift-clicking dude...this is how I normally did it but it's easier now to be able to pan the track alittle...click the EQ disable....adjust the fader a touch...click the EQ disable....you get my drift?

Ok I get it now. Why 'shift-click', when you can just 'click', right?

The only disappointment though is...not being able to rename them, so if I should have 4 plugs and I want to insert a disable for three of them...they're all just called 'disable' which is a shame cause you then have to hover over them to find which one is which.

They waste the space cause it says disable(normal) where the 'normal' could be the plug name instead, as we know when the disable is on as it turns yellow !
I can't see any immediate work around...can you?

As far as I know, there is no workaround. I wish you could click-and-drag to reorder the knobs too.

I'll see if there are any feature-requests for this, later. Right now I have to get ready to leave.

Have a great day!

The OG reaper guys and developers were BIG vegas fans, we just had issues with some needed features that it seemed sony would never give us. Coming from Vegas though, much to the chagrin of some users, its pretty much kiddy work to use reaper, you could even set up many of the same keystrokes

Theres a pile of ways you could do this.

One thing is saving track templates, which also save routing and even multiple tracks with folders and routing intact! So for instance if you have a bass template that splits the bass into high and low, sends it to other tracks for distroting the high parts and a master folder for being sidechained from the kickdrum it saves all that!

By the way to the others in the thread, 3.01 is soooooooooooooooo yesterday :)

3.02 is official now

Wow, moving along like gangbusters. I can just imagine that in time, someone will be on here bragging about Reaper 10.01...

And I can tell them that I was there at the beginning, and can remember when it didn't produce the song for you by talking into a mic and telling it what to do.. :rolleyes:

It's only if your license is old eg. you have Reaper v1 or somat...for example, I bought my license in December which entitles me to v3.99.

What has changed with the license however is, verification of the non comercial license. Lot's of people have wondered if they have to buy the commercial license if they make a little bit of money with it...well it's now been confirm that you only have to buy a commercail license if you make over $20.000USD, which is a very generous amount IMO as I'd buy the commercial license if I was lucky enough to make a grand. ;)

is that $20,0000.00 per year? or for ones entire lifetime?

either way, i think I can manage a non commercial license as well :D

Back