Best Mic Pre under $300 Poll..

Wich mic pre offers the best quality for the price?

• ART TPS $180

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • ART DPS (TPS with digital outs) $250

Votes: 31 4.5%
  • Behringer Ultra Gain $170

Votes: 34 5.0%
  • M-Audio/Midiman DMP-3 $199

Votes: 159 23.2%
  • M-Audio Audio Buddy $120

Votes: 23 3.4%
  • Presonus Blue Tube $150

Votes: 83 12.1%
  • None of the above, (specify in post)

Votes: 115 16.8%
  • don't be cheap, save your cash and buy something elitist

Votes: 174 25.4%
  • Screw it all, go MIDI all the way

Votes: 39 5.7%

• Total voters

NoFO

OK Skycries, i had the same thought for a post as your Best Mic Pre for under $300", let's take some of their suggestions and put it to a poll....

Chris

Mackie VLZ's are excellent and are well under $300/channel (not that they're necessariloy better or worse than those above).

I weighed in with "Don't be cheap..." because I have a cheep pre amp and am now looking to upgrade. I have a PreSonus Blue Tube, which I bought after hearing the ART and Bellari tube pres. Those suck worse than the Blue Tube. Actually, in the beginning, I liked the Blue Tube and sometimes I still get a cool sound using it ... even a clean, warm sound. But it's touchy; it's too easy to distort the signal using it. Also, it's easy to get a "canned" sound. These are things, I'm afraid, you're going to get with cheaper tube no matter what; and even when I hit it just right, it won't ever open up the sound the way pres that actually drive the tube do. Still, of the ones I tried, BT was the most workable.

If tube's not important (which in this price range in probably isn't), you can go with Mackie's new XDRs. But if you just need phantom power, depending on your input's abilities (like, does it have a preamp you're trying to bypass?), you may get the same results as just plugging directly in or using a DI/phantom box. Considering a 1202 VLZ mixer goes for, what, $400 (??), maybe you should even look into Davisound, Grace, the Peavey VMP (tube) or PreSonus MP20 for a bit more money. Never tried any of these; just heard other people liked them, so you'll have to test-drive on your own.

It also basically depends on how critical your own ears are ... I started out thinking the difference between the BT and other tube pres was going to be negligible in the final mix based on what I heard in trying it out ("yeah, it's $1,200, but is it really $1,050 better?"). Now, my ears are much more fine-tuned and the differences are important to me. But maybe not to everyone. And maybe you have better recording/mixing/micing techniques and gear than I and can get a bona fide killer sound out of cheaper gear. So many variables.

the best under $300 preamp is without a doubt the Delta DMP3.....better than a Mackie pre.....

can be had for about $179 for 2 channels

I just bought an Presonus MP20 for $423 at guitar center. So far it is alright but I am a little unhappy that they no longer use Jensen transformers. I am thinkin about swaping it in for the DBX 386

I would return the mp20 and get the DMP3s. Or soundcrafts new boards or even a mackie. The total effect on your sound with the mp20 will be negligible compared to the other more cost effective options.

Alternatively, spend a little more and get a grace 101.

I am on a third world country budget... :rolleyes:

preamps on my wish list:
* M-audio DMP3 (clean sound)
* Joemeek MQ3 (color sound)

for the time being, I'll have to live with my beh. mixer.... ;)

Do you mean what they're supposed to cost,or what I actually paid for them? I got a new in box Joemeek Vc6Q two weeks ago for $199,and I'll be picking up a Mindprint Envoice at the end of the week,also $199.Gotta love those blowout sales! BTW,these are both very useful pieces IMHO.

I have to agree.

It would be fucking great to have an API/Neve/Avalon/whatever, but I would be nothing but frustrated (or broke) without the few pieces of cheap but good gear that I've come across, like the DMP2/Omni I/O.

I'm sure nobody thought they'd see a day when a $175 compressor gets more use than their $2000 Urei, but then along comes the RNC.

Now, I don't think we'll see anything quite the same happen with mic pres (maybe the RNMP) but that doesn't mean that there aren't decent units out there for $200. Since I have been using my M-Audio pre's, I honestly haven't felt like I needed to upgrade. I don't think I'll be "buying twice."

In any case, I'd rather have something to work with than have some crazed/unfulfilled need to have a rack full of $5,000 in gear.

No pre exists in a vacuum. But that's exactly how some people seem (for purely financial reasons) to want to treat it. ANYthing will sound "alright," even "good," if you haven't compared it side by side with a unit that has a better reputation.

What does "reputation" -- basically word-of-mouth -- matter? Well, you'll always get a handful of elitist twonks that pipe up just to defend their investment, that's true, humans remain humans, but the vast majority are just workaday people like you and me, most of them have been at it quite a bit longer than the average home recordists, and, importantly, most of them earn their living doing this. If that's the kind of advice you want to ignore, you are of course free to do so. Curious about a piece of gear? Do a Deja search of rec.audio.pro or search the discussion boards at Music Player or the RecPit. You'll get the word, and if you search thoroughly you should get enough opinions to decide whether you want to try out the unit at home and form your own opinion.

That's where you make the discoveries -- in your studio, working with the unit, not comparing price tags. You want to know why most studios don't use 100- or 200-dollar-per-channel pres to track most of their main tracks? Rent or borrow a nice box, take it home, and record *several* tracks with each. Create two simple mixes, one with the cheapie, one with the rental.

If you've sold yourself on the idea of doing most of your tracking with the cheapie, and if you have decent monitors, and if you have reasonably capable ears, you're not going to like what they tell you. But let your EARS decide. Arguing about the quality of boxes you haven't heard based on price and ad copy on some internet discussion board is a huge waste of your time.

Yes, there is probably a use for EVERY pre. They're all basically colors, and you're basically creating a painting. Why throw away a color? But most people prefer bright, present colors to that of mud -- though sometimes mud can be used to great effect. It is, of course, a question of personal preference.

Again, you're building a toolkit with which you hope to capture or create great sounds. Do you want to cut corners? Or do you want to go with the tried and true -- if unfortunately a bit more financially painful?

The proof is comparing them side by side in YOUR studio using YOUR equipment and YOUR technique.

The proof is in your ears.

Cheers.

:)

I generally agree with you empty. Especially about laying down several tracks to start seeing the dif bet good and bad pres. However, there is a definite tendency to ignore just about everything below a certain price (pres in the sub $1k range) by guys with the esoterics in their rack who then go on all the boards and bash everything below $1k, though they havent listened to 90% of it. Usually they have some limited experience with some shitty dbx piece or an art or old meek and they are right when they say --it dont compare. But there are exceptions and guys like myself (who get paid hourly to produce records in a small but smartly stocked studio which Im always adding to) who spend the bucks when I have to and dont when its unecessary. Gone are the days when spending more meant getting more. Theres a growing category of gear that is not very expensive that easily competes with gear several times the price. As far as mic pres, the grace and envoice are great pres well below $1k. This all is even more true for mics now.

Agree with you totally, JuSum. It's just as silly for a "high-ender" to bash based on price as it is for the more financially-challenged, though they're doing it from a different perspective; it's all about what it does to your gear in your ears. And don't you nay-say those Meeks! :D I've got a VC1Q and I wind up using it more often than not -- but then I'm less keen on transparency than most. Go figure!

Cheers.

But the Beatles recorded everything on four . . . :) :) :) he he.

Okay, the Shure Sm-57 is used about as often on platinum records as it is in home studios. The President of the United States speaks in to a 57. And you can get one for $75.

If it cost $1K, I would bet major studios would still be using it to mic the snares and guitar cabs.

Can you get a good-sounding pre in the sub-$300 range? Yup. And it's name is the M-audio DMP-3. :)

Hey, I appreciate your opinions, but nows the time to choose and it comes down between the DMP3,Mackie 1202 vlz pro or Jomeek Vc6Q.

1, I love the Rave reviews of the DMP3, for the money this is the BEST!

2, The Mackie would work perfect, since it has high quality tone and has room for outboard rack effects without using all of my inputs on my VS890.

3, The Jomeek seems to have equal and "original" sound quality and high ratings.

Oh man, now I can't make up my mind. The DMP3 has HIGH QUALITY TONE at a great price, but the Mackie also has high quality tone with added features for just a little more $.

HELP!!! Wish I can take both of these home and test them but I can't. Thanks in advance!

the mackies preamps are very close to the DMP2...the DMP3 may be a step up...just remember when you start going thru the mixer and busses and using EQ on the Mackie, you are sacrificing some quality.....

Everything said here has great value... there are different views of everything when it comes to what to get. I can understand the "pay alot buy once" camp, but for alot of us, that's unrealilistic. i have a $1000.00 budget to get my studio decked out. acoustical foam, xlr 1/4 inch and headphone wall plates, hardwire for everything, new stereo mic pre, pair of omni condensors (which got solved in the microphones thread). so guess what? no expensive mic pre for me.... i'm gonna DMP-3 (hey that rhymed)

thanks everyone, now, where can i get the best deal on one?

:D

Chris

Back