Mastering website plagiarism

ausrock

Cut and pasted from G/slutz.........

"Hey Guys...

Just wanted to point out a little bit of blatant plagiarism...

If you go to:

http://www.diskfaktory-mastering.com/

and also to:

http://www.diskfaktory-mastering.com/

you will notice what looks like quite a well spec'd mastering suite. It is, unfortunately, the suite doesn't belong to Diskfactory, but rather a very well know and respected australian mastering company "Turtlerock"

You can check out the turtlerock website here:

http://turtlerockmastering.com

Check out Turtlerock's extensive client list, and make the judgement for yourself where you think the original image came from."

:cool:

They probably found the image through something like Google Images and made the mistake of thinking that it was royalty free/free for them to use.

It's not the first time it's happened, by a long shot, and it surely won't be the last.

Our friend here Massive Master had this happen to him a couple of years ago. You might notice the heavy watermarking he uses on many of his website images now because of that incident.

It's often not just an innocent Google search, or if it is the result of a Google search, it's not so innocent. Why do you think these sites are using these pics? It's because they have no pics of their own. And the reason the have no pics of their own is because they have no such mastering suite of their own. Usually the most they have in the way of a mastering suite is a PC in their bedroom running a cracked copy of Wavelab and a big box of free plugins. They then misrepresent this fact - implicitly if not explicitly - by showing a picture of someone else's installation.

EDIT: Notice the total lack of any gear list or actual "studio pictures" anywhere on the website.

G.

Hey Guys,

It's not like we are talking about a picture of a Sunset here, or some other pretty scenery.

What these guys are trying to do is make people believe that when they pay for mastering services, they are getting the use of a world class facility.

It is more than just a simple mistake, it is downright dishonest, and unethical.

You can order disks from Diskfaktory directly through the musiciansfriend website.

I've just emailed them and asked why they are supporting a company that so flagrantly ignores copyright and intellectual property.

I would encourage you to do the same.

They have also attempted to rip off the THX deep note sound, in the intro to the site.

It's not the first time it's happened, by a long shot, and it surely won't be the last.

Our friend here Massive Master had this happen to him a couple of years ago. You might notice the heavy watermarking he uses on many of his website images now because of that incident.

It's often not just an innocent Google search, or if it is the result of a Google search, it's not so innocent. Why do you think these sites are using these pics? It's because they have no pics of their own. And the reason the have no pics of their own is because they have no such mastering suite of their own. Usually the most they have in the way of a mastering suite is a PC in their bedroom running a cracked copy of Wavelab and a big box of free plugins. They then misrepresent this fact - implicitly if not explicitly - by showing a picture of someone else's installation.

G.

Get this: among my other interests is carp fishing. The whole procedure is pretty different from the typical North American predatory fish angling, the equipment is specialized the techniques, yadda. Well anyway, a friend of mine got one of those underwater cameras (which run about $500 with a monitor), and found a couple of places where he could place a baited rig on-screen, where there was a good chance of encountering carp. He ended up with some unique footage of fish getting hooked, mouthing bait without getting hooked, inspecting the rig, smelling a rat and amscraying, etc.

A year or so later, some guy selling a cheaper camera posted the entire series of videos on his commercial site, claiming he had taken the videos, with his[/] camera. It took a couple months of threats to get them taken down. Total fraud.

Get this: among my other interests is carp fishing. The whole procedure is pretty different from the typical North American predatory fish angling, the equipment is specialized the techniques, yadda. Well anyway, a friend of mine got one of those underwater cameras (which run about $500 with a monitor), and found a couple of places where he could place a baited rig on-screen, where there was a good chance of encountering carp. He ended up with some unique footage of fish getting hooked, mouthing bait without getting hooked, inspecting the rig, smelling a rat and amscraying, etc.

A year or so later, some guy selling a cheaper camera posted the entire series of videos on his commercial site, claiming he had taken the videos, with his[/] camera. It took a couple months of threats to get them taken down. Total fraud.

Yeah, the fishing industry is full of worms.

What is it about the Internet that brings out the laziness in people?:confused:

That carp video actually sounds pretty cool. Is it still around?

RAMI said:
Yeah, the fishing industry is full of worms.
Rimshot! ;)

G.

So they both shop at the same places, big deal!

Shop at the same place?

I'm new here so I don't want to overstep the line, but have you seen the pics?

Diskfaktory has ripped off a picture of the Turtlerock room to make it look like thats what they have.

Shop at the same place?

I'm new here so I don't want to overstep the line, but have you seen the pics?

Diskfaktory has ripped off a picture of the Turtlerock room to make it look like thats what they have.

I think he was joking.

Plagiarism....the internet is full of it. The amount of times I've been doing some searches for certain information, and several different websites will have the passage written word for word, but credited to a different author each time.

I remember a while a go, there was UK website called randomrant.co.uk. This guy would basically write open letters to the things that pissed them off and post them on his site. They were funny as hell. Eventually, he closed the site down, but interestingly his work still lives on. Unfortunately his work lives on in the form of people posting these rants on their blogs as if they were their own creation.

I mean, blogging without purpose is lame anyway, but ripping off other people's work for the purpose of making pointless blogs...don't these people have any shame or self respect? I mean, deep down inside, these sorts of people must really be eaten up by their own lack of talent.

I mean, blogging without purpose is lame anyway, but ripping off other people's work for the purpose of making pointless blogs...don't these people have any shame or self respect? I mean, deep down inside, these sorts of people must really be eaten up by their own lack of talent.

:D

Last edited:
They probably found the image through something like Google Images and made the mistake of thinking that it was royalty free/free for them to use.
Then it would simply go from "theft" to "flagrant misrepresentation." Few things pi$$ me off more than crap like this. My site has been ripped off so many times - A few copied the entire site and changed anything that said "MASSIVE" to "(whatever)" -- Others would steal a few photos, the gear list has shown up on no less than a dozen sites, etc., etc., etc.

And the excuses... "Oh, I had a guy do the site" -- AND YOU DIDN'T NOTICE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THAT GEAR?!? OR THAT ROOM?!?

Bull$h*t. This looks like blatant bull$h*t to me. And I'm bummed -- I've had around 50 projects go through DiskFaktory for short-run work just in the last year or so. I sent most of them there myself. Not anymore. I refuse to support companies that support this kind of crap. I've spent way too much time and waaaaaaayyyyyyy too much money getting [SELF-CENSORED]-heads to take chunks of my site off theirs. I hope TurtleRock has a legal field day with this.

I've contacted them twice myself to find out who's responsible for the design and content of the site - No reply as of yet... Go figure...

I agree with Massive.

Because mastering is a combination of skill and equipment, using photos of another mastering studio and passing it off as your own is fraud. It is a complete misrepresentation of ones' capabilities, aimed at profiteering from the inexperience or gullibility of your potential clients.

The key is that the site ripoffs are aimed at *making a profit*, and potentially take work away from the studio that actually owns the equipment and made that investment.

Also, you can pretty easily tell which studio is the original by the fact that Turtle lists their clients, has pictures of their actual gear, and also has a picture of their mastering engineer and a few words from him.

The other site has none of that. Which probably means it is a guy with some plugins doing what you could do yourself.

That said, the only picture that is copied is the main studio photo. You do see site sometimes that are direct copies of the entire site, including equipment pictures, with just the name changed.

Had a similar thing happen to me.

I didn't bother to register ITRstudios.com (plural) on the Internet, just ITRstudio.com (singular). A studio in Dallas got ITRstudios.com (plural) registered as theirs and it simply bounced readers over to their studio site. After some heated exchanges, they dropped it and I'm happy to report they just went out of business a few months ago.

did they update the site?

I see no pictures of anything at all on their website. Just some logos, and a crappy flash intro.

did they update the site?

I see no pictures of anything at all on their website. Just some logos, and a crappy flash intro.
That didn't take long, did it? You're right, the pic used to be right where the big version of their logo is.

G.

Back