Cubase Studio, see input levels

lomky

Wow, I feel ridicules asking such a noob question, I haven't done much recording lately but I'm starting to get back into it.

I swear that I used to be able to "see" the input levels in my cubase meters when I was recording a track. I use direct monitoring through my Echo Audiofire 12, so the little speaker is always off, so latency is not an issue.

I can see the levels in my Audiofire control panel and sounds are recording fine. I just thought for sure the meters would display levels, did I accidentally turn something off?

If you are looking for the level meters in the time line to register you need to enable monitoring/turn on the little speaker. Actually the coolest way to do it though (if you have the screen real estate is to bring up the mixer, it now has two panels by default, one for the recorded track or tracks being recorded, just like before, and one for just the inputs.(this is new) This is really cool I think, because it registers all the inputs weather they are assigned to a recording track or not. It took me a min. or two (actually like 5 or so recording sessions) to figure out but I really like it.
I can't remember how sx handled this, and I am going out on a bit of a limb and assuming that studio acts like 4.

The buttons on the left side of your mixer window allow you to show and hide different aspects of your mixer view. When I am tracking I usually keep two mixers open on my second monitor. I set one to show me the inputs so I can see the meters there, and the other shows me my outputs. When I am mixing I change the second mixer to show me my group and FX channels, and have it hide the inputs. You can also assign preset mixer views and a shortcut button to the second mixer window so you can kick it in and out a little easier. As far as I know, the output channels will not show input levels unless you have record monitoring enabled through Cubase itself.

The buttons on the left side of your mixer window allow you to show and hide different aspects of your mixer view. When I am tracking I usually keep two mixers open on my second monitor. I set one to show me the inputs so I can see the meters there, and the other shows me my outputs. When I am mixing I change the second mixer to show me my group and FX channels, and have it hide the inputs. You can also assign preset mixer views and a shortcut button to the second mixer window so you can kick it in and out a little easier. As far as I know, the output channels will not show input levels unless you have record monitoring enabled through Cubase itself.

Thanks Rob! That's exactly what I was missing.

Back