Best bang for buck?

hmm sounds good! That chipset looks good, I guess I'll give it a shot! Although I think I'll keep the rest. I like the case that I found because of its durability. It seems very tough and I will probably take this baby to Australia, so I need something a bit more solid.

hmm sounds good! That chipset looks good, I guess I'll give it a shot! Although I think I'll keep the rest. I like the case that I found because of its durability. It seems very tough and I will probably take this baby to Australia, so I need something a bit more solid.

i think antec case is pretty durable, if u want u can get the P180, antec case is always like tanks. they got thick steel. i tried cutting one and it was tough.

i think antec case is pretty durable, if u want u can get the P180, antec case is always like tanks. they got thick steel. i tried cutting one and it was tough.

I dunno... that window part looks like it can break real easy :( I've always stood away from those window'cases. I feel like its gunna break @ the first chance it gets.

I dunno... that window part looks like it can break real easy :( I've always stood away from those window'cases. I feel like its gunna break @ the first chance it gets.

the nine hundred got a window but the P180 doesn't. and the P180 is design to be quiet, it's also only 40 bucks after rebate or 80 no rebate normally.

Or...

Buy a nice mic or pre or something for $300 now. A year from now buy that same list of stuff that costs $800 today for $300.

People made great recordings with much slower computers than you're speccing out.

Computers are the worst bang for the buck item in your gear.

Or...

Buy a nice mic or pre or something for $300 now. A year from now buy that same list of stuff that costs $800 today for $300.

People made great recordings with much slower computers than you're speccing out.

Computers are the worst bang for the buck item in your gear.
Thats the thing. I've had my computer for about 3 years, and I've always waited to the next year for the prices to drop. Thing is, technology is always on the go and I dont want to buy a real budget computer. I really want to have an ok computer that will survive me another 2/3 years running latest applications without a sweat. My current computer just doesnt cut it. I need a new one! I already have a Line6 KB37 (which I cannot use its MIDI capabilities on my current computer cuz its so slow) a couple of mic's, and a recording console.. I'm just about to buy this new baby. Lets hope everything goes well.. heh wish me luck! :D

With that extra $300 I would rather change a couple things out to go Intel, and boost your performance for less money. Also..... I would not spend $100 bucks on a case.

Heres the thing. If you buy the AMD, you're buying 2 years ago cutting edge technology that is at or beyond end of life. If you go intel P35 and Core2Duo, you're getting current technology that is upgradeable in many ways. If in 2 years you want to go with a 64 bit OS and up your power, you can get a 1333mhz fsb 3Ghz Quadcore processor and drop in 8+GB of RAM and not be stuck buying an entire new computer again. With the AMD, you have what you buy now and zero upgrade path.

What may be a little more money now is cheaper in the long run, and its a better bang for the buck.

Heres the thing. If you buy the AMD, you're buying 2 years ago cutting edge technology that is at or beyond end of life. If you go intel P35 and Core2Duo, you're getting current technology that is upgradeable in many ways. If in 2 years you want to go with a 64 bit OS and up your power, you can get a 1333mhz fsb 3Ghz Quadcore processor and drop in 8+GB of RAM and not be stuck buying an entire new computer again. With the AMD, you have what you buy now and zero upgrade path.

What may be a little more money now is cheaper in the long run, and its a better bang for the buck.
hmm, I dont know much about Intel. Which chipset would you recommend? I saw the Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail for $186.00 dlls.. but paying $186 for 2.13 GHz sounds kinda expensive... I want at least a 2.8 GHz. For $169.00 I get 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon 6000. I dunno... I'm stuck now!! arrgh!! ... what should I do?

edit.. If I were to change only the motherboard and cpu (to a 3.0 GHz Intel), price would go up to almost 1,000 bucks! damn!

Last edited:
hmm, I dont know much about Intel. Which chipset would you recommend? I saw the Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail for $186.00 dlls.. but paying $186 for 2.13 GHz sounds kinda expensive... I want at least a 2.8 GHz. For $169.00 I get 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon 6000. I dunno... I'm stuck now!! arrgh!! ... what should I do?

edit.. If I were to change only the motherboard and cpu (to a 3.0 GHz Intel), price would go up to almost 1,000 bucks! damn!

2.13ghz x 2 for one thing, and for another, now a days, you get more work per cycle. The 6600 outperforms literally ALL AMD chips before they started releasing all these newer updated versions. the 6420 now performs near it. Sucks to be AMD. Buy a chip for $200 bucks from Intel, or pay $999 for the same performing chip from AMD... The 6000+ AMD X2 chips (new tech) can barely hang with the Pentium EE 965 (3.7ghz w/ older tech).

Anyways....

Cases, it's appealing, it's just that I used to own a computer shop, and got the same cases, and other cooler ones for a fraction of that price. Were talking about $200 cases at Fry's, that costs to them $20 bucks to buy. I bought cases to sell at the store from our vendor for $10 bucks with 450w pw, same as Fry's that they sell for $100+. I keep our system in a nice cooled box under the console. Isolated. Except for my play system, which has a cool looking case that cost me $30 bucks and is a screamer, nice and cool inside at 20-25c.

2.13ghz x 2 for one thing, and for another, now a days, you get more work per cycle. The 6600 outperforms literally ALL AMD chips before they started releasing all these newer updated versions. the 6420 now performs near it. Sucks to be AMD. Buy a chip for $200 bucks from Intel, or pay $999 for the same performing chip from AMD... The 6000+ AMD X2 chips (new tech) can barely hang with the Pentium EE 965 (3.7ghz w/ older tech).

Anyways....

Cases, it's appealing, it's just that I used to own a computer shop, and got the same cases, and other cooler ones for a fraction of that price. Were talking about $200 cases at Fry's, that costs to them $20 bucks to buy. I bought cases to sell at the store from our vendor for $10 bucks with 450w pw, same as Fry's that they sell for $100+. I keep our system in a nice cooled box under the console. Isolated. Except for my play system, which has a cool looking case that cost me $30 bucks and is a screamer, nice and cool inside at 20-25c.

Damn dude, your the guy I was waiting for all this time! So basically.. Lets say I'd go for the big one (so I wont have to update my computer in a "relitavely" long time). I want to buy an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor (I guess this is good?). It would cost me $300 bucks, plus a motherboard, which would be around $180 bucks. Thats around $480 bucks already. Say I'd be able to spend another $320 bucks, and I needed a case, some sort of cooling, a Power Supply, ram, a HD, a good video card. Im sorry to push it out on you, but you seem to have a very good idea of what your talking about, so what would you reccomend? Or will I need more money? Cuz maybe I can push this to $900 bucks.. if not, wait some time to score another hundred bucks. Thing is, I dont live in the states, but I have a US residence where I always ship my stuff to, so I dont have Fry's around. The cheapest thing I can resort to is the internet...

Last edited:
BTW, how does the Mail-In rebate work? Do I have to be an American citizen? Or may I just send these Mail-In rebates from my residence without having to prove my citizenship? Whats the deal for these mail in rebates?

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $116.00 - $76.00 after mail in rebate
thats $40 bucks

MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $159.99 - $139.00 after mail in rebate
another $20 bucks

Raidmax Volcano 630 Watt Modular Power Supply - $79.00 - $39.00 after mail in rebate
another $20 bucks

thats almost $80 bucks worth of rebate that I dont wanna loose! Looks like good stuff doesnt it??! :confused:

heres the rest of the pc..
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - $304.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $74.99

AeroCool ExtremEngine 3T - BBA Black SECC 0.6mm ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $109.99

I'm only missing the motherboard.. can't seem to find a decent one... arrgh!! Im almost set to buy this baby!
What would you reccomend my friend?

Last edited:
... oooops! hehe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017 That chip instead quad core 2.4's, that's ... In most cases 95% the quad core will beat out that chip, however, that chip holds it's own, it hangs in there with the Q6600 quad. Which has the upper hand as it has 4 cores instead of 2 @ 1033mhz. The E6850 is a great chip too, it's high clock 3ghz w/ 1333mhz fsb.
That intel motherboard is pretty decent that hard2hear posted.

Oh! You're at ADK. They had a good rep back on ProRec.com.

What was the hot rod system from twelve months ago?

That would have been the dual Opteron system. Then along came Intels Conroe and changed the computing world... and made it cheaper!

Back