[SOLVED] DMP3 VU Meters

D

danny.guitar

My DMP3 VU meters don't seem to be working at all. Not really a big deal but it'd be nice if they did.

I record at an average level of -18dbFS, which should show up as about 0db on the VU meter, correct?

I have the "gain range" button pushed in because I record with SDC mics and I don't need an output level that hot.

I tried anyway, and they still didn't move. :(

Anyone else experience this?

Farview said:
If you that preamp is +4 and your interface is -10, that would explain it.

Ah, I have the 24/96 and it's set to "Consumer" and not "-10".

Consumer is even lower than -10. You are just interfacing two different line levels.

oops! you are correct. But it's still off enough to make the VU meter useless. Unless the preamp has a switch to change it to -10 operation.

Thanks Farview, never thought of that. They don't work but at least they look cool. :cool:

I totally disregard the meters except for watching for clipping. Otherwise, I strictly look at the DAW channel input levels.

danny.guitar said:
Thanks Farview, never thought of that. They don't work but at least they look cool. :cool:
They will work just fine when you upgrade to a +4 interface. Then the whole world will make sense.

Farview said:
They will work just fine when you upgrade to a +4 interface. Then the whole world will make sense.

What benefits would I get from upgrading to a +4 interface?

danny.guitar said:
Your meters will read right. Nothing really, it's just nice when everything matches. It avoids this sort of confusion.

danny.guitar said:

A higher threshold level with less distortion.

Metering is very important when recording to digital, you need all the visual warning signs you can get to avoid that digital fart. I built my daw for +4 cause I had an Allen & Heath Saber 24/16/16/2 at the time...I had to downsize to a Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 (24/8/2) that operates at -10 but is switchable to +4 by soldering internal links. Luckily my Delta 1010 cards are switchable -10/+4 on the back so I can keep everyhting the same at this point. I'd mod the desk to +4 in a minute to get that headroom back but I'm holdiing out for something with midi mutes & VCA faders...maybe a soundtracs Megas or solo logic...we'll see

if danny guitar is using his dmp3's as pre's before the interface (as opposed to an analog stage between his computer and some mixdown device), shouldn't the meters move as a function of the input? :confused:

punkin said:
I totally disregard the meters except for watching for clipping. Otherwise, I strictly look at the DAW channel input levels.
But if you're getting anywhere near clipping, you're probably already overdriving the input chain...

kojdogg said:
if danny guitar is using his dmp3's as pre's before the interface (as opposed to an analog stage between his computer and some mixdown device), shouldn't the meters move as a function of the input? :confused:
No, because he can't turn the preamp up high enough to get the meters to move much before clipping the input of the interface.

Farview said:
Your meters will read right. Nothing really, it's just nice when everything matches. It avoids this sort of confusion.

Yea that would be nice. I do plan on upgrading my gear but not anytime real soon. When I do I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

Massive Master said:
But if you're getting anywhere near clipping, you're probably already overdriving the input chain...
Yup, i'm far less experenced compared to massive but i find it virtually impossible to get anywhere near clipping analog and get a decent sound digitally.

Most analog gear will get a lot hotter than full-scale before it clips (assuming the converters are calibrated to -18dBFS or above). But just because is hasn't clipped (i.e., failed completely) doesn't mean it still sounds clean...

Massive Master said:
But just because is hasn't clipped (i.e., failed completely) doesn't mean it still sounds clean...
Yeah, that's what i meant basically. But also, when if i can hear it getting nasty, 99% of the time it's going to be clipping digitally, im my experience, excpet if i'm using way too much compression, etc.

Back