Vocalist hits .393 hz, supposedly. I can vouch for 16.13 hz, though.

austinm08

the pigeon knows the way.
What do you guys think about this?!?! :eek:

:cool:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ss-book-of-world-records-for-lowest-note-ever

There's a sample of him speaking on that page. Hmmm. Interesting, but I'm not sure if he's actually producing the tone of that note or rather just the... sound of the vocal chords colliding.

Well I opened up that sample in Pro Tools and analyzed the waveform.. hahah. The lowest he got was about 16.129 hertz if I'm right. The thing is, if he did actually hit this .393 hz, you'd only hear his vocal chords colliding once every 2.5 seconds! yeah.... I still am not sure I can believe THAT.

Attached is a screenshot from PT comparing my voice singing an A4 to his ~16.13 hz note (*this particular cycle of his voice isn't the one where I observed it at 16.13 hz.. this screen is of his voice just a tad before that when he was a bit higher. Eyeballing his waveform in this screen, it's more like 18.33 hz.. but 16.13 WAS the lowest I observed in the sample MP3).

And here's a quote from another article:

"When Menees sang "A Little Talk With Jesus" at a church in Canada, he hit a note so low that it shattered an Electro-Voice speaker."

Attachments

• hertz.jpg
    hertz.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 101
Probably. I don't know.. *shrugs*

It doesn't really matter, though. We couldn't hear it, anyway. However, we CAN hear when his vocal chords are colliding.

And so I wonder, if he IS hitting this .393 hz, like I asked before.. is he actually producing the 'tone' of it, or rather is it just his vocal chords colliding that's happening? I think it's only his chords colliding. So does that REALLY count? It's up in the air, methinks.

Doesn't mp3 have a cutoff below certain sub frequencies?

Im not sure, I ran a spectrum analysis on an mp3 once and at 17k it dropped to zero. On the low end, you dont need a whole lotta bandwidth to represent very low freq's. Most music doesn't have much / any content below 20 anyway, so maybe they dont bother. I was at a IASCA db drag once, a guy had a hearse with a couple 24" subs capable of super low freq's, but no music went that low, so the guy had a synthesizer to drop the music an octave. crazy shit :D

:D

icon14.gif

I wonder why he didn't actually play something with his left hand while he was picking that fast? ;)

I've seen dogs scratch that fast...maybe if you stuck a pick in their hind leg, they would break his record! :laughings:

Yeah...his right hand is moving very fast....but to me, that's not really what I would consider "fast playing"...it's just double, triple, quadruple picking of every note to give the impression of fast playing. The guys that can move the left hand at that speed…that’s fast playing.

I'm not knocking the guy...it's impressive on a technical level being able to pick that fast, but it's nothing new, you could probably find balalaika and mandolin players doing that long before “shredding” came about. :D

There's a preoccupation with "fast playing" these days...like once you can do that, you're a great player...or some such thing.

Kinda silly...just like this guy growling down at that l-o-w frequency...like who really cares...Guinness? ;)

0.393 Hz is like a time period of around 2.5 seconds. That's on the verge of being classed a DC offset.

I think this guy might be a bit delusional about his 'ability'. You can't hear that kind of frequency; you wouldn't even feel it as a vibration... at 0.393 Hz you'd be able to distinguish the individual compressions at a very slow rate.

Could I make a clicking noise in my throat every 10 seconds, say "look, it repeats in a cycle at a rate of 0.1 Hz!" and claim I've gone even lower!?

Can that microphone he's using even pick such low frequencies...? ;)

Look, now you're being no fun! :mad:

Haven't you had when you're lying in bed and you can make this really low "growl" type of sound, sometimes it sort of "clicks". That must be down there.

at 0.393 Hz you'd be able to distinguish the individual compressions at a very slow rate.

Could I make a clicking noise in my throat every 10 seconds, say "look, it repeats in a cycle at a rate of 0.1 Hz!" and claim I've gone even lower!?
Yeah, exactly. I was wondering the same thing.... they wouldn't know the difference. :cool:

Can that microphone he's using even pick such low frequencies...? ;)
Yet another good question. We do know it can pick up the sound of his chords colliding, but that's IT.

Oh man, I heard this story live on NPR! They asked him to sing the record-breaking note and he said that he couldn't for legal reasons. So he just sang a "very low note" instead. :laughings:

I could do without his singing. However, his speaking voice is delightful. He should do voice acting....he could play a misunderstood but heroic Texas ranger hunting down goodfernothin outlaws in the Old West.

Back