Rockwool

Erm, no. I live in Liverpool not Bevery Hills 90210!:(
Would it be worth using Rockwool RWA45 or RW3 on the door and window instead of having the white elephant of a iso booth?
I don't mean a big one. I meant is it free-standing or built in?

No Rockwool doesn't provide any isolation unless used between mass.

You could make a plug for your window or add another pane, and either buy a heavy solid-core door (like a fire door) or attach mass (mdf, plyboard, ...) to your existing door.

I don't mean a big one. I meant is it free-standing or built in?

No Rockwool doesn't provide any isolation unless used between mass.

You could make a plug for your window or add another pane, and either buy a heavy solid-core door (like a fire door) or attach mass (mdf, plyboard, ...) to your existing door.
Forget the wardrobe, I was just joking!
I'm getting confused with this Rockwool stuff again:confused:
My window is 60" x 39". If I made a plug for it (which if successful would be 75% of my problem solved, imo) wouldnt that plug consist of say, 2 sheets of mdf seperated by the batts of 100mm Rockwool RWA45? Same for the door?
(Thanks for your patience, btw pandamonk;))

I really need somewhere I can record my vocals without disturbing the neighbours/my partner! It may well end up sounding terrible but that's better than not sounding at all! You see, apart from acoustic guitar, I play everything else through headphones, so there is no noise issue at the moment.
I would've thought Scouse neighbours might appreciate a bit of nightly singing ! :D

You could buy one of these coffins from walmart

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=coffin&search_constraint=0&tc=0&ic=48_0&ref=+125874.425084&clicked_tab_value=Online

Lock yourself up in there and sing to your hearts content, no one would hear a thing. Oh and you should definitely set a timer or something to remind your wife/significant other to come and let you out after a half hour or so! if not and the air runs out, well hey at least your already in a coffin

Probably get some great sounding death metal vocals and you save your familly money in the long run by buying something your going to have to have eventually now, at todays prices and finding a dual use for it :)

Forget the wardrobe, I was just joking!
I'm getting confused with this Rockwool stuff again:confused:
My window is 60" x 39". If I made a plug for it (which if successful would be 75% of my problem solved, imo) wouldnt that plug consist of say, 2 sheets of mdf seperated by the batts of 100mm Rockwool RWA45? Same for the door?
(Thanks for your patience, btw pandamonk;))
Nah, for the plug just one sheet would do, the 2nd leaf would be the window. You could include some absorptive material on the window side.(Don't worry about it)

(so)I can record my vocals without disturbing the neighbours/my partner!

It may well end up sounding terrible but that's better than not sounding at all! You see, apart from acoustic guitar, I play everything else through headphones, so there is no noise issue at the moment.

:confused: ummm, what am I missing here.:confused:

Anybody tell me how this stuff compares to the Rockwool stuff we are discussing?
It is called Phonewell board and is apparently made from cardboard and fine sand.

1200 x 800 x 15 mm
Weight 18.0 Kg/m²
Density 1200 Kg/m³

Airborne Sound Reduction Rw = 36dB (Ctr = -4) DIN EN ISO 717-1
Impact Sound Reduction Lw = 21dB DIN EN ISO 717-2
Imapct Sound Reduction up to 65dB DIN EN ISO 717-2
Fire Behaviour B2 DIN 4102
Thermal Conductivity 0.17 W/mK DIN 52612
Pressure Solidity 5.0kN/m² DIN 1055:2002
Areas of Application 1,2,3,4 DIN 1055: 1971
Areas of Application A,B,C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,D1,D2 DIN 1055:2002
Bending tensile strength 2107 N - Lengthwise DIN EN ISO 520
Bending tensile strength 2123 N - Widthwise DIN EN ISO 520

Last edited:
Anybody tell me how this stuff compares to the Rockwool stuff we are discussing?
It is called Phonewell board and is apparently made from cardboard and fine sand.

1200 x 800 x 15 mm
Weight 18.0 Kg/m²
Density 1200 Kg/m³

Airborne Sound Reduction Rw = 36dB (Ctr = -4) DIN EN ISO 717-1
Impact Sound Reduction Lw = 21dB DIN EN ISO 717-2
Imapct Sound Reduction up to 65dB DIN EN ISO 717-2
Fire Behaviour B2 DIN 4102
Thermal Conductivity 0.17 W/mK DIN 52612
Pressure Solidity 5.0kN/m² DIN 1055:2002
Areas of Application 1,2,3,4 DIN 1055: 1971
Areas of Application A,B,C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,D1,D2 DIN 1055:2002
Bending tensile strength 2107 N - Lengthwise DIN EN ISO 520
Bending tensile strength 2123 N - Widthwise DIN EN ISO 520
It's not really a comparison, imo. Rockwool is intended for acoustics and insulation between walls.

A better comparison would be between Phonewell board and normal plasterboard.

Back