Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New studio space...considering my options.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Actually, not true, you don't want the most dense fibreboard available. You want to target 3lb/ft3 which is what OC703 is. OC705 is 6lb/ft3 and that is too dense. Sound can't penetrate into the fibers as easily and reflects back into the room.

Rockwool RW3 is 60kg/m3 which is 3.7lb/ft3, so the two products are pretty similar in regard to acoustic absorbtion.
    Yeah I was only referring to insulation Chili.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Orson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Rolled fiberglass is not what I would ever bother using for acoustic treatment or traps, because you would need a lot of it, and then stuff/compress it.
    Like I said...I used Owens Corning 703 and 703 FRK which is no better or worse than Rockwool at equal thickness for acoustic use. The thing about the 703 I liked better is that when you handle it, it doesn't chunk off as easily as Rockwool...and at the time I was building my traps, I was able to find a really good deal on the 703 and 703 FRK. It was easier to get than the Rockwool or Roxul.

Also...not that fiberglass is 100% safe-n-healthy...but Rockwool has additional oils and binding agents, and when initially unpacking for installation, can be quite full of dust from the manufacturing process, that you don't want to inhale.
    That's why I built my fiberglass traps outside, and sealed them within the frames before they ever came inside.

So bottom line, and again my point...neither of those products are specifically/solely meant for "acoustic treatment". They are both primarily for heat insulating used during building construction.
    Where I am I cannot get 703 so I went with the best available ..... RW3.

Regards compressing the fluffy thermal/loft insulation ....... It will not be as good as the 'proper' product RW3 or equivalent. It may have some effect but will not be the same and doubtful as efficient regards sound.

The reasons are as regards what Chili mentioned. When these acoustic panels are made then in theory the automatic process is laying down the fibers in a uniformed and set density process so all should be equal across the panel.

If you get something like loft insulation or other and then just compress it. You will end up with areas where the fiberglass is too dense and areas where the fiberglass is not dense enough. So the result will be less efficient areas of fiberglass which may be impenetrable for sound and also areas which will be insufficient to perform as well as required.

I know you do not intend to use compressed roll loft insulation but I am just talking along the same lines and explaining why there is a difference. If there was no difference believe me I would not have spent the money I did on RW3.

Any particles from insulation entering your lungs will not be beneficial to your health. Masks at all times.

On this point I have seen various videos on youtube regards making bass traps and acoustic panels. The material some are using to cover these fiberglass traps/panels is not sufficient. The material used should be able to prevent any fibers from escaping into the room. As long as air can pass through the material then so will sound. But the material should be of a tight woven type that will prevent fibers from escaping. Otherwise what is the point of the material except to look pretty.
    Last edited by Orson; 03-17-2019 at 03:11.

Thanks
    ****jealous****
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orson View Post
    The material some are using to cover these fiberglass traps/panels is not sufficient. The material used should be able to prevent any fibers from escaping into the room. As long as air can pass through the material then so will sound. But the material should be of a tight woven type that will prevent fibers from escaping. Otherwise what is the point of the material except to look pretty.
    I wrapped the triple sheets of 703 with ulta-thin plastic....pretty much like plastic food wrapping film...and then I added a layer of felt to both sides, and finally a layer of acoustic cloth on both sides, for the finished look, since these are movable traps. One side has a single 703 FRK sheet, which acts a bit like a membrane.
    The thin plastic doesn't let any fibers pass, but has pretty much no effect on the sound waves, especially the mid/lower frequencies.

I documented the whole building process here: Bass Trap Madness

Thanks
    Firstly -Aauuugh! rewiring! Second, i would let the contractor know about going from two rooms to one asap in case the roof support needs to be changed due to the missing walls' support. Sounds like it's going to be a neat project.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    ...i would let the contractor know about going from two rooms to one asap in case the roof support needs to be changed due to the missing walls' support.
    Yeah...I'm planning to give him a call. We only had the preliminary meeting and conversation...but at the time, the one or two room option was mentioned.
    I want to draw it all out and give him a clearer picture of what I want, since he's mostly looking at it as more typical house addition, although I did tell him it was going to be a music studio, and that I wanted multiple layers of sheetrock, etc...but know that I'm formulating a better picture in my head of what I want, I can get it down on paper, and then let him price it out.
    Like we also talked of adding a low deck outside...so that it would tie in with my existing two decks from the rest of the house...but now I'm having second thoughts about that, and might not want to put a door and deck on the addition.

In a nutshell...this was going to originally be, just an addition...but some things changed for me, and suddenly it became the new studio addition...so some of my initial thinking was still revolving around that original plan, now I want to get much more specific and really focus on a proper studio build since I have this opportunity. I have to consider not just the addition, but the whole studio layout...where the console will sit, which direction..etc..etc...so I will draw it out and then get it all to the contractor. With the potential June start...I have some time to adjust things. At least he'll give me an initial ballpark cost, and then I can better gauge how much further I want to embellish this building project. I do want this to be really sweet...not just a big room with audio gear in it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orson View Post
    The material used should be able to prevent any fibers from escaping into the room. As long as air can pass through the material then so will sound. But the material should be of a tight woven type that will prevent fibers from escaping. Otherwise what is the point of the material except to look pretty.
    We're not going to start this old argument again are we?
    Once the insulation is in place there's no more particles/fibers getting expelled from the it. If you're allergic to it, wear a mask when constructing your traps or putting them in place - or have someone else do it for you. If you're so allergic that it 'bothers' you just sitting there, then go with the compressed cotton batts.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    We're not going to start this old argument again are we?
    Once the insulation is in place there's no more particles/fibers getting expelled from the it. If you're allergic to it, wear a mask when constructing your traps or putting them in place - or have someone else do it for you. If you're so allergic that it 'bothers' you just sitting there, then go with the compressed cotton batts.
    Getting boring now and I havent a clue to what argument you are referring too. Must be before my time. Or is this going foreverrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks
    With stationary traps on the walls...I wouldn't worry about fibers constantly falling out of them, if you use a good tight-weave material over the insulation.
    If you have an acoustic "cloud" hanging over your head from the ceiling, it might be better to use some kind of 100% sealing layer.

With the big bass traps I made, they get moved around all the time, so I wanted them completely sealed.

Anyway...when you make a trap, hold it against the light, and then slap it a couple of times and see if you get a cloud of particles coming out or not...and then make your call if it's safe enough or not for you.

I appreciate people's thoughts about different aspects of a studio build...but for this thread and my planned studio build, we can put aside the discussions about which type of material to use for traps and how best to construct them. There's been plenty of those discussions, and I'm not really looking for "Studio Building 101" info here.
    I have other construction things to consider for the studio plans...but making traps is really not one of them, they are pretty straightforward to make or buy.
    Last edited by miroslav; 03-17-2019 at 19:42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Miroslav did you ever try and make or incorporate any diffusers in your studio? There was a thread on here I think where a board material was full of holes and used this way. I remember seeing this board from my youth in something and inquired about it.

There are different variations of this type of diffuser used in all sorts of buildings but the people who make it in the UK are not interested in supplying small quantities. The ones I found anyway.

Different variations of this companies products............. Acoustic Panels For Wall And Ceiling Cladding - Gustafs Scandinavia

Thread Information