acoustic panels

ollie99

Hi, I mean to in the future build some acoustic panels, but the only problem is that because I am 15 I really don't have all the resources necessary, or the time (obviously I'm not sating adults have more time, just I am very busy). I stumbled across these and the looked a decent price, so my question is how would these compare to homemade acoustic panels with wood and rock wool and stuff?
Thanks

P.S what about these for bass traps?

Last edited:
I think they are just a waste of money. These will kill just the high frequencies, nothing else.
If you can't afford to buy all things to make proper panels at once, buy and build them piece by piece - start with wood for example, so you can make the frames. Then when you have enough money go buy fabric or rockwool.

I think they are just a waste of money. These will kill just the high frequencies, nothing else.
If you can't afford to buy all things to make proper panels at once, buy and build them piece by piece - start with wood for example, so you can make the frames. Then when you have enough money go buy fabric or rockwool.

what about the bass traps which I linked to? wouldn't they take care of the lower frequencies?

and looking at the claimed frequency absorption specs, it says they will take care of 1k to 4k, mids and highs?

You can make them quickly and cheaply if you use the method Rami used. You just need rockwool, lengths of wood, fabric, wood glue and a staple gun.

because I am 15 I really don't have ...the time

This made me laugh! At 15, you really have no idea how much (free) time you have right now! Wait until you're in college, working 20+ hours a week, studying, dating, and partying. Wait until you're working, paying off a house, supporting a family .... Enjoy it now, kid - it'll be a distant memory some day.

This made me laugh! At 15, you really have no idea how much (free) time you have right now! Wait until you're in college, working 20+ hours a week, studying, dating, and partying. Wait until you're working, paying off a house, supporting a family .... Enjoy it now, kid - it'll be a distant memory some day.
Yeah aha, but I have all my maths exams in 2 papers next week, and I just broke up with my girlfriend (11 months and 7 days, it wasn't a little 2 week fling) and I just can't be bothered to get off my arse and do bother with it.

Yeah dude, sort it out! :p

I made four panels in a few hours.
Maybe you saw?

A million times more useful than any foam I've ever seen.
I hadn't actually seen but nice!

Right so I guess the overall view is to stop being lazy and build some. Won't be for a while anyway

Hi, I mean to in the future build some acoustic panels, but the only problem is that because I am 15 I really don't have all the resources necessary, or the time (obviously I'm not sating adults have more time, just I am very busy). I stumbled across these and the looked a decent price, so my question is how would these compare to homemade acoustic panels with wood and rock wool and stuff?
Thanks

P.S what about these for bass traps?

Those thin foam panels won't do much except trick your ears by murdering all of the high frequencies. The little "bass trap" things you also linked too are better (I have some) but they only go down to about 200-300 hertz. You still need real rockwool traps to get the realllllll low stuff cleaned up!

Making the frames and learning a bit of diy will get you off your sorry ass and provide you with future skills and knowledge and take your mind off exams/ ex gf. you could make your panels in a study brake its that easy.

Making the frames and learning a bit of diy will get you off your sorry ass and provide you with future skills and knowledge and take your mind off exams/ ex gf. you could make your panels in a study brake its that easy.

looks like that's what I'll do!

Those thin foam panels won't do much except trick your ears by murdering all of the high frequencies. The little "bass trap" things you also linked too are better (I have some) but they only go down to about 200-300 hertz. You still need real rockwool traps to get the realllllll low stuff cleaned up!

Yeah I think I might make panels, and buy those bass traps or similar to

Yeah I think I might make panels, and buy those bass traps or similar to

Idk man, I'd just make some first. Any acoustic treatment you buy like that is gonna be much more expensive than making it yourself! I can crank out around 6 bass traps for the price it takes to buy one real one lol :D

Those foam bass traps won't cut it.
i wasted years getting high and all i have to show for it is debt and regret.
Dont waste your time you'll only wallow more. These might seem like harsh words.
I've only just made my first room treatment and i wished i'd done it years ago i'm just starting to get a grip on recorded sound and much more accurate mixing. For the price of getting high for 2 nights you could get a good start on room treatment and save yourself some heartache.
Like i say sorry if this sounds harsh but i learned the hard way.
You could learn from my mistakes and get stuck in. You wont regret making your own panels its so much cheaper and more effective than that ineffective foam.
Just do it.

Those foam bass traps won't cut it.
i wasted years getting high and all i have to show for it is debt and regret.
Dont waste your time you'll only wallow more. These might seem like harsh words.
I've only just made my first room treatment and i wished i'd done it years ago i'm just starting to get a grip on recorded sound and much more accurate mixing. For the price of getting high for 2 nights you could get a good start on room treatment and save yourself some heartache.
Like i say sorry if this sounds harsh but i learned the hard way.
You could learn from my mistakes and get stuck in. You wont regret making your own panels its so much cheaper and more effective than that ineffective foam.
Just do it.

Actually I don't get high that often, and when I do I don't actually pay for it, I just share with my brother haha, he can learn the hard way though

Someone told me something similar to this when I first joined the site and was 16.
I thought it was rough then because of school.
8 hours of school a day seems like nothing compared to 24 hours of "real world"!

Insulation Direct 2 U. Rocksilk slabs RS45
there you go. beg some wood off a firewood collector and steal your sisters bedsheets :laughings:

That's the supplier I used - they were the cheapest I could find in the UK even with their £25 delivery charge.

This is from Rami's thread: -

This chick gives a geat demo of how to put a bass trap together. I did mine alomost exactly like this, but I didn't use any adhesive on the wood, just staples.

How to build a bass trap or an acoustic panel - by Nenne Effe - YouTube

That video shows probably the easiest way to put these together. Rami's thread is here: -

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...lay/building-bass-traps-shopping-list-343308/

Back