BroKen Studios

Yes sir. Thanks. I'm using the monitor level to include or exclude the subwoofer. I use output 1/2 for the new M-Audio speakers and 3/4 for the Rokit 5's. The M-Audio's play all the time via normal computer outs, so when I listen to MusicBee I get just the M-Audios and the subwoofer. When I go into Reason, the monitor room output drives the Rokits and the main level runs the M-Audios so I can include or exclude either. It works fairly well.I'll look into your Big Knob. Sounds cool :cool: Cause at some point I want to use one set of outs and one set of ins for an actual fx loop. But first I'll need another budget for some real comps and fx. :)

I'm having the time of my life right now. The only thing that could make this better is a nice MicroTerror. (where is the : plead: or the : pray: emoticon?)

Next week after I work with the traps and get the room tamed, I'll be bringing my baby home from church (haven't used my bass amp there for 2 years and it's time it came home.)

Hell yeah man! :thumbs up:

Turnin into a really cool setup. Looks good and even from your crappy pics :D it looks comfy too.

Merry Birthday man!

:p

Thanks Db! The chair is old and comfy, but being replaced.

Got the drums set up yesterday and realized it didn't come with a kick pedal. Any suggestions. Looking at the DW 2000. Gotta order a throne, too! Missing some cables to hook everything up. Getting all this done shows me how little I really know.
Got my acoustic traps in yesterday as well. Got two days off to find my staple gun :)
Acoustimac makes nice kits for about a third of what the finished product is, but they build the frames and cut the fabric and cut the 703 to fit, so all I have to do is stretch and staple. Gonna stain the wood on the outside and then staple inside so the wood still shows. :cool:
They did however, forget to send my corner traps. Have to call this AM and find out what gives. :mad:

I can't wait to see some pics of the new setup. I open this thread every time and I'm a little disappointed when there's no pics. :)

Went to Lowe's to get some mounting stuff and now I'm all sweaty and itchy at the moment.
Put together the first ceiling cloud and hung it. I'm amazed at how much of the room echo disappeared just from that one piece.
Tomorrow I get the other one up (need the wife's help). But alas, she is off to work and I must needs install a new faucet in the kitchen and mow my 5 acre wood before the day is over. :(
Maybe I'll stretch some cloth over more of the frames tonight. :)
Called on the bass traps but haven't heard back.
Acoustimac comes highly recommended. The kits I bought were inexpensive ($25.50 per 2'x2'x2" and $42 per 4'x2'x2"). I'm sure I could buy the lumber and fabric and 703 for less, but having someone else assemble the frames was just my cup of tea. Pair of 2x4 clouds w/mounts for $110 fit nicely into my budget...The traps were $103 each, but I haven't seen them and they were entirely assembled. I might buy some 703 and build some proper traps to go under these 6" jobs later.
Anyway, 24 2x2 traps, the 36x24x6 corner traps, two 2x4 traps and a 2x2x4" trap that I'll cut in half for the other corners (over the doors) ran under $1000 with mounting hardware. Low enough to keep me happy!

And for your bad photo fix...
2014-07-22 13.56.57.jpg2014-07-22 13.56.35.jpg

yeah, it's crazy how big a difference some simple trapping can make, huh?
This is shaping up to be a very nice place.
Damn good lookin e-drum set too? Is that new as well? Or are you one of those people who actually dust their drums? :p

Much kudos man. ;)

Almost makes me wanna tear my shit out and re-do it........ again. :o

almost. :)

yeah, it's crazy how big a difference some simple trapping can make, huh?
This is shaping up to be a very nice place.
Damn good lookin e-drum set too? Is that new as well? Or are you one of those people who actually dust their drums? :p

Yes. It was a bit weird.
Yes, I like my room
Yes, I dust my drums and yes these are brand new.
My Pearl set is at the church and it is immaculate. Dust weekly before service and cymbal brite my cymbals every month. :)

Okay, next piece of the puzzle. Cut a 2x2x4" trap in half and used it for
2014-07-22 20.13.02.jpg
2014-07-22 20.12.56.jpg

Mini Corner Bass Traps (MCBT) patent pending. :laughings:

Okay, Here's the 2x2x2" trap patter I'm thinking of using on the side walls. Let me know if there's a better way. The back wall will be covered, leaving a space at the top for a diffuser panel.

Studio Pattern.jpg

Cool. New studios and toys are always fun.

A bit of forum business, I'm afraid. Before posting up pics, can you resize to be smaller? both in dimensions and file size? Helps those with slower connections to enjoy your progress. :)

Okay back to the fun.
What kind of drums are those?

Teddy, DM10 is correct. The kit is good, but the hi-hat is meh. (I would say crap, but I'd get censored or censured by the mods...:)) I'm just going to use it for practice and to trigger my Reason Drums (or possible Steven Slate...saw SS Platinum for $99 yesterday and I'm sorely tempted). At the $750 level, it's hard to beat, because you get three cymbals and four toms and Yamaha or Roland run $1600-$$$ for the same set-up. But you get what you pay for.
The drum triggers themselves are very drum-like as long is you have good technique. The cymbals will take a lot of getting used to, especially the ride. But I've set up cowbell, splash, china, third crash on the rims of the toms which gives me a little more flex. It's just awkward re-learning to smack the rim of tom two for a crash... :laughings:

I really want to buy a drum set to mess around on and I was thinking that an electronic kit would be better (and get used more), but now I'm worried. I was hoping to, eventually, pick up a cheaper set ($200-$400), but maybe I need to rethink that. I'm not a drummer, but would like to play around and learn and also have a kit for friends (who are drummers) to play when they come over.

Go somewhere where you can actually play some and see what they're like. My best advice. Get what you feel comfortable (sound, feel and $$$) with. The Alesis was my choice based on A) $750 for a 6 pc with 3 cymbals B) decent sounding kits for practice and C) the feel of the heads doesn't suck (but it's close if you can't consistently hit centers).

BTW, the DM7X is the same layout but with rubber pads instead of drum heads and a lesser module. But it's $250 less.

Back