Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What am I Doing Wrong?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    What?!?
    If your amp is that loud, you're recording too loud to start with! The point is that listening out in the room is different than where the mic is.
    Are you out of your mind? You would have gotten fired as an engineer in 30 seconds flat on any of SRV's sessions with an attitude like that. ( or many other rock artist's sessions)

Take a Marshall 50 watt plexi, get it in the sweet spot to get it singing, and go ahead, stick your ear right next to a celestion.
    Let me know how that goes for you.

Or, a fender twin or a bassman, a deluxe, an Vox AC 30, etc.

Hell I wouldn't even stick my ear next to the 8 inch speaker on my Fender Vibrochamp when it's turned up to 7. (Which is a glorious sound by the way)

Maybe you have very little experience with tube amps, but they really start to come alive when the power tubes start distorting.
    And that takes turning the amp up to a level where I'd never stick my ear right by the speaker.

Besides, as I and others have mentioned, mics 'hear' differently than the human ear.

So, you stick a mic onto the speaker, and monitor through the monitors. That way you can actually hear what the mic hears. (In the context of the mix)

Sticking your ear onto your amp's speaker is not only non-productive, but dangerous and stupid.

As far as your claim of recording too loud, that's ridiculous as well.
    I wouldn't stick my ear right next to a snare being hit . Must be too loud.
    I wouldnt stick my head inside the kick drum and tell the drummer to go at it. Must be too loud.
    I wouldn't stick my ear right next to the singer as they're belting it out. Oh, that source must be too loud too.

Point is, there are lots and lots of audio sources that would be too loud for your ear if you stuck your head right next to them. A guitar amp is just one of them.

Last edited by RFR; 2 Days Ago at 19:44.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Are you out of your mind? You would have gotten fired as an engineer in 30 seconds flat on any of SRV's sessions with an attitude like that. ( or many other rock artist's sessions)

Take a Marshall 50 watt plexi, get it in the sweet spot to get it singing, and go ahead, stick your ear right next to a celestion.
    Let me know how that goes for you.

Or, a fender twin or a bassman, a deluxe, an Vox AC 30, etc.

Hell I wouldn't even stick my ear next to the 8 inch speaker on my Fender Vibrochamp when it's turned up to 7. (Which is a glorious sound by the way)

Maybe you have very little experience with tube amps, but they really start to come alive when the power tubes start distorting.
    And that takes turning the amp up to a level where I'd never stick my ear right by the speaker.

Besides, as I and others have mentioned, mics 'hear' differently than the human ear.

So, you stick a mic onto the speaker, and monitor through the monitors. That way you can actually hear what the mic hears. (In the context of the mix)

Sticking your ear onto your amp's speaker is not only non-productive, but dangerous and stupid.

As far as your claim of recording too loud, that's ridiculous as well.
    I wouldn't stick my ear right next to a snare being hit . Must be too loud.
    I wouldnt stick my head inside the kick drum and tell the drummer to go at it. Must be too loud.
    I wouldn't stick my ear right next to the singer as they're belting it out. Oh, that source must be too loud too.

Point is, there are lots and lots of audio sources that would be too loud for your ear if you stuck your head right next to them. A guitar amp is just one of them.

You seemed to have missed the emoji in my post, and the point
    The point is that listening out in the room is different than where the mic is.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    I wish you guys would speak up, I'm having trouble hearing you
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    I def agree with this.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    C'mon chaps! Settle down. Hearing damage is a function of loudness and TIME. Yes, sticking your ear next to a V30 on full chat IS daft but not because you will be instantly deafened but because you will be temporarily "shifted" into a modified hearing "mode" and when you come up be bog useless at judging sound qualities at normal (for which I shall say ~85dB) levels, akin to a photo flash. But, even if a quick stoop and harken is safe, don't do it on a regular basis! Hearing loss is cumulative and exposure should be kept in reasonable bounds. (even concert musicians are getting hearing loss these days. Recently won damages)

Easiest way to hear what the mic hears is headphones, preff' closed back with good isolation. If there is only thee you can record a track by DI and "re-amp" it into the guitar amp on a loop (could just use a looper!) then, cans on, move mics about.

I am not qualified to judge but the point "less is more when it comes to gain and distortion" is made all the time, all the places I read about recording rock guitar.

And, as ever: soundonsound Aug 07.

Dave.

Thread Information