tips for playing guitar to a click for scratch tracks

keat_taylor

I'm so terrible at it.
I just keep practicing with it and it gets better but I still fall out of time with it in places because of pauses and quieter parts in the songs.
any tips on "getting it" a little better.

Is your click loud enough? Sometimes players are afraid of not being able to hear the instrument, so they dial back on the click--but then it's easy to lose the click.

At the risk of not being able to hear your guitar, I'd suggest practicing with the click intentionally too loud. Might be good for the sake of learning.

Also what sound is your click? May sound silly, but it makes a difference to me. For example, when I record my drummer, he want and electronic beep for his click. Anything "real" or acoustic throws him off and he loses it.

But when I'm playing/recording guitar to a click track, it's jus the opposite. The electronic beep throws me off. So I set up a click track with a closed hi-hat sample. It sounds "real" to me, and I have a much easier time following it.

Good luck!

Get your drummer to record a simple groove that works for the song in time with the click, and loop that for you to record to.

That's what my old guitarist wanted from me, and then I ditched the drums and recorded my final takes to his guitar scratch. 1 mic is enough, it doesn't need to sound any good because you're deleting it later anyway.

Get some cheap drum machine, or even a free drum-beat plugin.

Here -

http://ababasoft.com/music/drum_machine.html

an amazing free flash thing - you can visually arrange your own drum pattern, set the tempo and press the loop - feed the signal into your mixer's control room or anything. Blows the click lightyears away.

http://www.artopod.com/groovelab/

More 'advanced' type of thing, you have to download the pre-arranged sample, but you don't really need any more than that.

Keep playing until you get it right. It's the best way.
You can punch in/out, but that's a bunch of nonsense.

A lot of people find a simple click track hard to play along with, I sometimes use a simple drum loop as a click. A simple drum loop sounds more natural and is easier to follow. Remember you are playing "with" a click track, not "to" it. For practice I use the drum section of a keyboard (any keyboard will do as long as it has a rhythm section with variable tempo) to keep me on time. It takes practice to develop timing, keep working at it and you will get better, and playing to a click will become easier.

build the drums with loops or midi with a drum vst.

I almost always do a full on midi of a song before tracking, just as a guideline for musicians.

Other than that? Practice!

if your off, it's because your not listening.
there's no magic, just turn it up and do it again.
you'll be better for having learned.

If you want to work at it, try doubling the tempo so you're playing 120bpm to a 240bpm click to make it easier. Then go back to 120, then 60, then eventually 30.

1 or 2 clicks a bar is really difficult to follow, but it'll help you out no end in the long run!

1. Make sure you know how to count your part
2. Is the part a 1/4 note groove? 1/8th note groove? Shuffle? Program that into the click pattern. (i.e. don't try to play a 1/4 note shuffle against an 1/8th note click)
3. Make sure you can hear the click
4. Pretend the click is part of the music, this is easier if you use a cowbell sound or something like that. You have to play so that the part 'moves' with the click.
5. Play

Most people (at first) make the mistake of trying to play mechanically to be right on top of the click. That's not the point. The point is to groove at the tempo of the click, not to slave yourself to it. Pretend you are in a latin band with 7 people in the percussion section, groove to the guy playing the cowbell.

ultimately

ultimately I know the practice is the best way to do it, I was gearing more towards the sound I didn't really mention that I realize now. I think the vst drum thing is a damn good idea. I've done that for songs in the past and it's worked really well. regardless I'm going to keep practicing and figuring out the basic click. thanks for all the responses!

Lately, I've been recording a midi piano part, and using that as my "click" track. Perfect timing, of course. But, it also gives me more info about the chord changes an other melodic stuff that a plain click doesn't give.

Not sure if your click's set up this way at the moment, but for example if you have a standard 4-beat click, have the first beat of 4 make a different sound, or click at a different pitch. I find it helps a lot.

Personally, I like a really annoying click that sticks out a lot. So the standard Cubase one is good for me. I find anything more natural sounding gets lost in the music.

maybe the music is not intended for a click

I nearly always record with a click, and the most helpful way for me is to set up a looped drum pattern which later can be discarded.

However, there are two situations that make working with a click difficult.

1 The first is where the track itself needs to change tempo because of the nature of the music. A conductor has the role of interpreting a piece of music and conveying changes to the orchestra by means of his baton, but a click track doesn't understand this. I have worked around this by using a temp editor to speed up and slow down, and so now the click track follows this. But I have to be pretty confident about the structure of the song to be able to do this.

2 The second is where a performer works to an internal rhythm. Most people I have worked with can adjust to (if they are not already familiar with) a click track. However, there are a few for whom the click track is 'invisible'. They start off okay, but quickly drift all round it. In part, this is because they internalise the rhythm, so that they play along to something they hear in their head, and somehow their ears become disconnected from the rhythm that's been set up. I guess that it's these people who need to practice to a click track, but sometimes I'm convinced that they are just not going to do it.

There are a number of ways to deal with this.

1 Forget the click. Allow them to play to an internal rhythm. This makes editing dificult, and likewise, others who have to perform later may have difficulty. I prefer a click, but I can accompany a free form track.

2 Forget the click, but remap the tempo afterwards (i.e. build the click around what has been performed). I've done this as well. With some applications it is easier than others. Some will provide a tap-tempo facility so that you can tap out the rhyhm along with the track to set the tempo. Other applications you have to do this manually by examing the waves and adjust the tempo almost bar by bar to line up with the performed rhythm. I've done this too. It's slow and tedious.

3 Pre-prepare a structure. This is a bit like setting up a drum loop, but you also add other instruments. I've worked out how the track goes, recorded a drum loop, a bass track and a guitar, then got the performer to play along to this. Again, this is a lot of work.

Clearly, it's best if the performer can track well to a click. And it it's you doing the performing, you don't often have others to straighten you out . . . so you have to do it yourself. In this case, the only answer is to find something that works best for you ( a metronome, a drum loop or whatever) and just plug away at that practice.

2 The second is where a performer works to an internal rhythm. Most people I have worked with can adjust to (if they are not already familiar with) a click track. However, there are a few for whom the click track is 'invisible'. They start off okay, but quickly drift all round it. In part, this is because they internalise the rhythm, so that they play along to something they hear in their head, and somehow their ears become disconnected from the rhythm that's been set up. I guess that it's these people who need to practice to a click track, but sometimes I'm convinced that they are just not going to do it.

this to me is a problem of not listening. the same person in a band environment will usually have little or no idea what his/her bandmates are actually playing (aside from the most rudimentary things like (general)key and time).
that person will annoy me.

As a drummer, I've been playing to click tracks for a long time - at first it was awkward, but there are some things that can make it easier - many of which have already been suggested (so some of this may be redundant).

1. First and most important - don't be a slave to the click. Some people think they have to play precisely to the click...as an example, a drummer who thinks every backbeat has to be on the click. The click is only a guideline, it is OK to drift a little - which is part of what makes music breath. Often a chorus make speed a little (ahead of the click) while the verse may be a little behind the click.

2. Often it is easier to play to a groove vs. an 1/8 note or 1/4 note click. Things like loops or a simple drum machine pattern feels more like playing to a groove rather than following a click.

3. If using a simple click, choose the right sounds - a cowbell or a hi-hat are the most common, but perhaps a tambourine may work better.

4. Find a volume that works for you - some people need a click loud - others like it very subtle

5. Practise to a click or metronome - it is the best way to develop a solid sense of timing.

6. Which brings us to - develop a sense of time. Too many melodic players have the mistaken opinion that it is the drummer's job to keep time. In fact, every musician should know how to keep time and how to count sub-divisions, not only the drummer.

All are good replies. I'll throw mine in also. I still find it difficult to play to a click. It's something I've got to relearn everytime I record a new song.

To start, I play just the first chord on the first beat of every measure. Then the chord of the first and third beat of each measure until I find the groove. I just let them ring until I get the beat or hear how the pattern should fit the tempo. Then I try to fill in the rest until I am comfortable with how it fits the beat.

Make sure the tempo is truly the one that works with the song.

just a my way of doing it.... :o

Back