Ringos EQ settingings

gadsworth

Has anyone out there ever tried to reproduce the sound of Ringo's drums on early Beatles songs e.g. With the Beatles. I've been trying just for fun sometimes I think I'm close then I go naaa that's not it. I'm new at this stuff. I use a 1971 set of Ludwig maples with Remo ambassador heads.
and a 2488 Tascam neo. This post is just an academic question to see what others may have found. thanks to all.

For one you'll have to start experimenting with a single LDC out in front of the set and then possible just one other one in the kick. Making it a mono sound scape with the drum set.

Tuning!!! Can't emphasize that enough. Getting it RIGHT at the source of the recording is the key. ;)

I'd bet that there wasn't an EQ used. That kit, in that room, with a D19 or a big ol' AEA ribbon a few feet away.

Yeah, I doubt there was any EQ used on the drums. Just a couple of mics and tea towels (and Ringo's wallet) over the drums. And as with all drummers, most of the Ringo "sound" was Ringo.

At some time or the other I read or heard it mentioned in a documentary, I don't remember which, that in the studio Ringo used real sheep skin heads on his drums, a suggestion by George Martin. I do remember thinking at the time that it was a reliable source. But who knows, could be more Beatle mythology.

At some time or the other I read or heard it mentioned in a documentary, I don't remember which, that in the studio Ringo used real sheep skin heads on his drums, a suggestion by George Martin. I do remember thinking at the time that it was a reliable source. But who knows, could be more Beatle mythology.

Tuning!!! Can't emphasize that enough. Getting it RIGHT at the source of the recording is the key. ;)

Again getting right at the source.
Recording back then was so much ..... better at that then it is nowadays.

You start with the Drums used and the drummer playing them, then the mics and the micing technique. I actually own a Ludwig kit the same vintage as Ringo's that we use as a studio kit.

Well, the attachment did not attach so here is a link.

Cheers
Alan

That is a later picture when they started to mic up the whole set. Not so in the early years - one microphone at best.

I found this mic list on another site, it seems right:

OH - AKG D19C
KICK - AKG D20
FLOOR TOM - AKG D19C
RACK TOM - AKG D19C (under)
HI HAT - AKG D19C
SNARE BOTTOM - Neumann KM56

Abby road used a lot of AKG D19 mics.
Cheers
Alan.

As far as I know, the early Beatles drums were recorded with three mics. A Coles 4038 overhead, an AKG D20 in front of the kick and an AKG D19 on the snare.

You start with the Drums used and the drummer playing them, then the mics and the micing technique. I actually own a Ludwig kit the same vintage as Ringo's that we use as a studio kit.

Well, the attachment did not attach so here is a link.

Cheers
Alan

This attachment thing is killing me! Here:

Attachments

• Ringo.JPG
    Ringo.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
This attachment thing is killing me! Here:

Seriously? I give up...

I don't know whats going on with attachments, some of mine work 1st time others seem not to work then appear, some just won't work.

There was a much better drum sound on the later albums when they started using more mics (like the picture), however the early albums had a great drum sound for the time compared to some of the other recordings around the place.

Alan.

I don't know whats going on with attachments, some of mine work 1st time others seem not to work then appear, some just won't work
It's witchcraft, I tell you !
There was a much better drum sound on the later albums when they started using more mics.
From "Revolver" onwards I'd say. The drum sound got better, new technology and studio techniques were utilized and Ringo's playing became more inventive, a little less straightforward. That was the case for all of them actually. Not so much the songs, but the arrangements they were coming up with demanded a different approach to the drums.
An interesting thing happened in early 1968, just before the Beats went to India, but before John and Yoko became an item. They were recording "Hey Bulldog" and Lennon had invited Ono to the session. Afterwards, she asked him why they always used the same beat in their songs and because he knew about her avant garde leanings, he said he was really embarrassed at the simplicity of their music compared to many in the avant garde or harder edged rock realms. A few months later, when they came to record the White album, Lennon's songs were full of challenging rhythms that called for new kinds of drum patterns and really pushed Ringo and all this, added to George Harrison's already different beat structure {Indian} and Paul McCartney's insistence on doing some of the drumming himself, may have contributed to Ringo quitting the band during the recording of the album.
Even into 1969 when the last two albums were recorded, the odd rhythms carried on.
however the early albums had a great drum sound for the time compared to some of the other recordings around the place.
Charlie Watts, Bobby Graham and Keith Moon were all better drummers in many ways but their respective bands weren't recorded as well as EMI recorded the Beatles, especially the Stones whose recordings I always thought were pretty tame, unlike their songs, many of which were mega. Because EMI's engineers like Norman Smith were really conscientious about capturing clean and pristine sounds, they made sure the drums weren't relegated to just some background filler sound. They still sound good, now.

I've always wanted to mix somthing like an old beatles album. Where a lot of things were hard panned. like the drums and bass on the left, the guitars and BGVs on the right and lead vox in the center.

Back