Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You know what is weird

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    HUH???

What the heck does that ^^^ have anything to do with the discussion about the world economic/industrial situation and why kids today have/want more gear...?

Stay focused.

You didn't really just go there....Greta and climate change.

My advice...stop watching the news so much, you will feel better, and the future will not seem so dark.

Every older generation talks about the end of days for the kids of the future.
    Let them sort it out...I'm sure they will, just like all the generations that have come before did.
    I wish I had your optimism Miroslav I really do. The problem is, the power is in the hands of us OLD ones and they need to do somethng NOW.

Who said (might have been The Bard?) "Evil will propser when good men do nothing."

Dave.

Thanks
    This is why we can't have nice things
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    ... and they need to do somethng NOW.
    Like what...really?
    I assume you're still talking about climate change.

It's so easy to complain and blame...and expect that "someone" has the perfect answer, they just need to do it, and everyone will be happy with that solution...but really isn't one...and the idea that we (the little people on the very large planet) are going to just take some action that will make dramatic changes to what is predominantly a very large and long occurring natural process...is pretty nave.

Sure, cut back the emissions, which have been cut quite substantially in the last 20-30 years...but it's a drop in the natural bucket.
    Not to mention, who are we to now dictate to developing countries that they can't have their industrial revolutions like we already had, because it adds to climate change.
    Your notion that the world just needs to "stop" producing...is beyond nave..honestly. That's just the type of talk that feeds the news cycles and gets idealists like Greta and her puppet masters wound up... but it's not realistic.

Anyway...none of that has anything to do with how/why kids today have way more audio toys available.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Like what...really?
    I assume you're still talking about climate change.

It's so easy to complain and blame...and expect that "someone" has the perfect answer, they just need to do it, and everyone will be happy with that solution...but really isn't one...and the idea that we (the little people on the very large planet) are going to just take some action that will make dramatic changes to what is predominantly a very large and long occurring natural process...is pretty nave.

Sure, cut back the emissions, which have been cut quite substantially in the last 20-30 years...but it's a drop in the natural bucket.
    Not to mention, who are we to now dictate to developing countries that they can't have their industrial revolutions like we already had, because it adds to climate change.
    Your notion that the world just needs to "stop" producing...is beyond nave..honestly. That's just the type of talk that feeds the news cycles and gets idealists like Greta and her puppet masters wound up... but it's not realistic.

Anyway...none of that has anything to do with how/why kids today have way more audio toys available.
    You astonish me you really do Miroslav. I trust people of the calbre of sir David Attenborough. But I shall leave the subject now and keep to audio matters.

I doubt I shall live long enough to see the worst effects of CO2 and the Plastics polluting the ocean (and the AIR now they have found!).

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    ...But I shall leave the subject now and keep to audio matters.
    Good idea.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerBeakShiek View Post
    Nowadays Im in my middle ages. I don't get something I see a lot of. The Gear. How are the teens equipped so well?
    Some of it comes down to attitudes towards debt. That is, "who cares ?" the old "live now, pay later" syndrome. Some have indulgent parents, whether that be through guilt or weakness. Some have supportive parents that are prepared to sacrifice. Some have worked hard doing odd jobs to pay for it. Some of it is borrowed or posed with. Some of it is cheap gear. Some of it is presents. Some of it is bought with presents. Some sell stuff they have to fund their desire.
    When I read about the 2nd generation of British rockers, that generation of the Beatles and the Stones, they were fairly well equipped. They bought much of their stuff on hire purchase or paying off a bit at a time. There has long been a tradition of young people in music getting hold of the instruments and equipment they need ! How did all those young Black Americans get those double basses and horns ? How did Ted Nugent get his first guitar ? Ray Charles, Little Richard, Stevie Wonder and pianos ? Few in the history of popular music have been so well heeled that they could just walk into a shop and lay out the money needed for the instrument of their choice/desires/need. Yet, they managed to acquire them.
    My older son turned 18 a month back and he went out and bought a Squire strat and Blackstar amp. The money came from money his Gran had put away for him when he was tiny that became his at 18. Not a huge amount, but enough. Now that he has no income, he has to think and plan how he's going to afford a few items he needs to record. But before that, he'd been banging away on a cheap acoustic I bought for him back in 2010 or 11. He's had to be a realist.
    Teens find money in the same way most of us found money when we needed it. There are many ways and everyone's situation is different. Not everyone is Steve Jones breaking into Hammersmith Odeon and nicking Mick Ronson's gear !

Thanks
    Also bear in mind that young people are so much better informed {and therefore targeted} these days than before. In fact, humanity as a whole is much better informed in matters of audio, recording and the attendant equipment that goes with it. I'd never even heard of a compressor till I was 29 !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    Also bear in mind that young people are so much better informed {and therefore targeted} these days than before. In fact, humanity as a whole is much better informed in matters of audio, recording and the attendant equipment that goes with it. I'd never even heard of a compressor till I was 29 !
    Maybe informed 'at' Grim' but not scientifically educated. The lack of knowledge of the most basic electrical/electronic matters of 99.9% of new forum members is incredible! They must have dreamed their way through high school because surely they were taught Ohms law at least.

I built my first guitar amplifier at age 15 or thereabouts (2x KT66) at around 1961 and was well into knowing about compressors, preamps, gain, noise etc by 20 from reading magazines like Tape Reacorder, Hi Fi News and Wireless World. 'Kids' today, well most people actually, don't 'read' they want to learn about technology such as audio, Bish, Bash, Bosh from YT or from a couple of slick answers on a forum.

From some ten years of reading forums the level of education on matters electronic is woeful and people seem incapable of following a a logical process to diagnose problems. They have some very strange ideas of how things work and what is important or not in an audio chain and this makes them prey to the peddlers of highly expensive snake oil products.

Dave.

Thanks
    You know...that thing that's always puzzled me immensely is not where/how kids are able to afford more audio toys than when I was a kid...

...rather it's trying to understand how some of the upstarts in the audio/studio biz are able to build/open studios that probably cost a couple of million or more to construct and equip...???

Some of the guys began as your typical home studio operators...barebones stuff...then suddenly after a few years they've got 3-4 room studio suites with Neve and API consoles and racks of gear up the wazoo!
    Now I know they didn't earn/save that money operating their humble home studio...and these are not guys who suddenly had major hits with the music they produced/engineered...so it's not like the money flowed in.

All I can think of is that they either came from money...or managed to secure massive loans/leases to outfit their new studios...or who knows, maybe even some illegal moneymaking stuff...???...I don't know, but I just see these people interviewed in the music rags, and I'm always asking myself that question...where did the money come from?

Thanks
    I'm going to build my big studio as soon as those little balls come down the chute with my lucky numbers.... 8 14 17 23 44 36 ...... Bang! $230 million will build me a really nice studio!

Thread Information