Tascam us800 testing

jimmys69

MOODerator
As an entry level interface for those who wish to have 6 preamps, the Tascam US800 gives a whole lot of bang for the $99 price tag. It is a evidently a discontinued item being sold at $99. Upon varied reviews of the US800 ability to work with Windows 7 64-bit OS, and it's ridiculously low price now, I decided to purchase the unit and test myself.

It just arrived, and I am beginning my investigation.

I plan to run it with it's 64-bit drivers, and 32-bit drivers, juxtaposed to 64/32-bit installs of Cubase, on W7 Home Premium-64-bit.

I have a OEM version of W7 Home Premium 64-bit on a home built i7 that I am testing on, as well as a HP Pavillion Slimline, bloatware infested W7-32-bit machine.

Jimmy

Last edited:
Well, seems to work just fine on my W7-64bit i7. Driver version 1.0.8 from the Tascam website. I am however not able to get it to work via my USB3.0 port as I do with the 1641. The reason I do this, is because just as with the 1641, USB2.0 devices do not share well with another streaming device (ie; audio hard drive) using the same USB2.0 controller. There are interruptions (pops). I loaded a project with a total of 83 channels and lord knows how many VST's, into my main drive to see how it performed when not sharing port with external drive. Perfectly.

Going to play with the preamps later today.

Last edited:
Update and final thoughts:

Installation went smoothly as well on the W7-32 bit bloated internet desktop. This PC has a separate PCIe usb controller. The same project I mentioned above, is not able to run efficiently. Not surprising though, as this PC is not setup to record. Antivirus, Skype, Aero, all of the no no's for recording are on it. Not to mention it is only a dual core AMD processor. Loaded a 20 track project, and all was fine.

I am not sure there is any need for me to test the drivers on XP or Vista. I have never heard a problem with those. Figure if W7 works, then the drivers are likely solid for the others.

Regarding issues that I had heard involving USB disconnection. I shut down and restarted the i7 10 times. Each time the 800 connected correctly. Though, the 800 must be powered up 'after' Windows is loaded. If USB cable is disconnected while a program is opened, you must restart the 800 to regain connection (simple off/on). A possible PITA, maybe if you are lazy. Just shut down the unit when not in use. Put it on a power strip with your monitor amp. Just a procedure thing. With the Release Driver box checked in Cubase, input back and forth between Media Player and Cubase was seamless. I left a Cubase project open overnight (9 hours). This morning, connection was still solid.

The preamps seem to have just as much gain as the 1641. And as clean. I will wager that they are the same as the 1641/1800 ones. I actually seemed to have slightly higher input level into Cubase with the 800, and input gain at max on both units. I tested with an SM7b, and it was just getting to the edge where sweetness begins. 1/4" cables inserted into the multi jack on the unit 'do not' bypass the preamp. Or at least the level is variable with the knobs on the face. That being said, the SM7b connected through my X73i, sounded the same to my ears, as line in on the 1641, with the level of the preamp/input level on the 800 turned all the way down. The HiZ guitar inputs sounded good with bass guitar plugged in directly.

My findings, at least on my systems, is that the unit is absolutely solid with a properly installed driver, and optimization of PC, as well as proper delegation of USB controllers. I however am disappointed that I couldn't get the unit to work with USB3.0 port. There is mention in the literature, about using only the actual USB port that the driver was setup with. Funny enough tho, I installed the driver with the 800 in the USB3 port. It made some pops when opening Cubase, but did not produce audio. But when I moved the USB cable to a front USB2 port, it worked fine. Go figure.

Hope this helps anyone with questions about the Tascam US800.

Jimmy 'HR's unofficial Tascam interface dood'. :D

Last edited:
NICE!!!!!!!!....this should be a sticky!! or is it? have`nt looked..

anyway, thanks jimmy!!!

Even though I`m a dedicated XP user, it`s still nice to know it will work should it need to be used on another comp, system etc..

Great analysis, I totally agree with everything said here as a brand new US-800 owner as well. I am running on W7 64 via a self-built PC that is extremely optimized and clean. Haven't encountered any problems. I do get pops in the unit driver when doing tasks outside of cubase, but I assume that releasing the audio driver when the program is in the background would make these go away.

Overall, despite being a total noob, I have had a great experience with the US800, and am surprised at the number of negative comments I have heard about compatibility with Windows 7 64, as I have experienced no problems. I think there is likely a greater degree of software conflict with this driver than others with W7 64, and people running less-than optimized systems are having trouble.

Thanks again for the testing Jimmy!!

Now i gotta ask..why do you reffer to it as an "entry level interface"??

please do not take what I`m saying as offensive in anyway, but is this sorta like saying the US1800 is an "entry level interface"...in a few years when it`s not one of the newer models out there?
I guess what I`m asking is, whats the difference between an entry level interface, and a non entry level interface??

It just seams to me that an entry level interface interface might be something like this.. Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 USB-Audio Interface and more Audio Interfaces at GuitarCenter.com.

VS a Tuscam US800 that listed for $259 for a long time, until it`s recent major drop in price due to bieng discontinued....

no?

Price man. Not because of the quality. It is well worth the original $250 or whatever price IMO.

Good question though, because it does come across as if I am saying it isn't worthy. It is very worthy!

Hey Jimmy! Thanks for the awesome review! I'm glad you had no trouble with it whatsoever. Can you deduce what the majority of the people were/are doing wrong? I'm thinking of buying it, but since I am going to buy it here in Brazil, it will cost a lot more, with no possibility of taking it back to the store if I don't like it.

Do you have any other suggestion on a USD $300 - $400 range (US prices)?

Again, thanks for taking one for the team Jimmy! This noob owes you a favor.

Hey Jimmy! Thanks for the awesome review! I'm glad you had no trouble with it whatsoever. Can you deduce what the majority of the people were/are doing wrong? I'm thinking of buying it, but since I am going to buy it here in Brazil, it will cost a lot more, with no possibility of taking it back to the store if I don't like it.

Do you have any other suggestion on a USD $300 - $400 range (US prices)?

Again, thanks for taking one for the team Jimmy! This noob owes you a favor.

I can only guess it is either a simple setup issue, or incapable system specs.

If I had a $300 budget, I would definitely go with the US1800 over the US800. Much more versatile.

Oh yeah, who buying the beer? :D

Big thanks to Jimmy for trying out the unit in many possible configurations and giving us the real scoop! I noticed a few people on amazon saying that when they used it as their principal sound card, (for internet, WMP, etc) that the files all stayed in memory/use, hogging up the system's resources. Be that as it may, I jumped on the chance to get this 'barely used' unit from Jimmy!
Already read through the user manual, and it's not completely clear on some points - this will allow up to 6 simultaneous channels to be recorded via USB? Does it also convert MIDI to USB to send to my DAW (Reaper)? If so, that's a bonus I hadn't even thought of as I have been looking at those $10 Midi-toUSB converters on Ebay.

Damn, I should've done my research better. I bought my TASCAM us144 a week ago and for about 30 dlls more I could've had the us800. Great work Jimmy!

Already read through the user manual, and it's not completely clear on some points - this will allow up to 6 simultaneous channels to be recorded via USB? Does it also convert MIDI to USB to send to my DAW (Reaper)? If so, that's a bonus I hadn't even thought of as I have been looking at those $10 Midi-toUSB converters on Ebay.

Oops, missed this. The 800 will supply 8 simultaneous channels to be recorded to DAW. Tracks 7/8 are digital input, and would require an preamp or any other source with Spdif output. Yes, the unit is also MIDI capable. No need for MIDI to USB.

Think I'm going to have to pick one up for the new laptop just in case I want to record some geetars/bass. Or ever am jamming somewhere else where my deskmounted 1800 can't go :D

The USB from the Zooms straight into the computer sounds cracky as crack. I assume that's a soundcard problem that a interface/US800 will solve.

...The never ending saga of my Komplete fund taking hits continues

Have you tried recording guitars direct yet? I have been using mine for vst amp sims and such, well everyone seems to think that I shouldn't have to have my gain all the way down on my interface to get a good signal, but if I turn the gain up at all pretty much it starts to clip in sonar. I wasnt really sure if I should turn the gain up on the interface and not worry about the signal clipping in sonar or if that is the signal I should be worrying about?

Just bass on the US800. Seems you have something strange going on. Is there not a way to adjust input level in Sonar? I'm kinda lost for words here, as I have no idea how to use Sonar.

I don't know, I have also been told that there isn't any problem recording with the gain all the way down, as long as it isn't clipping in sonar.

Back