Recording LP's - Advice Needed

Bruno

Hi,

I have a ton of LP's that I need to record to
CD. I'm looking for advice on hardware and any software that might allow me to
edit out the hiss, pops, scratches etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Age of thread aside, it is kind of ironic that some of the things that make vinyl the prefered listening medium of some should be among the very things one tries to eliminate when transfering the records to CD.

I prefer vinyl but it has nothing to do with clicks, pops or 'rush' (not hiss ...... hiss is in the original recording) .... I, (and all other audiophiles that prefer vinyl) hate noisy records. But it's simply not true that records have to be noisy.

Just have a good quality cartridge and 'table and clean records and they can be very quiet.
I often have people over that'll listen to my records and express surprise over not hear any noise.
I've had them say, "I've never heard a record that quiet before!"
That's because the records they'd listened to in the past were handled poorly by whoever had played them and/or played on crappy tables with crappy carts that damaged the record.

I hate a noisy record which is why I don't listen to them.
But I DO listen to records all the time (6000 of them in my house) and the combination of my VPI record cleaning machine, good vinyl that I'm very careful with and good playback equipment gets rid of the vast majority of any supposed vinyl noise.

I agree. Funnilly enough, I thought of things you've said on other posts as I typed that and I was in two minds whether to submit it. But I thought it might make an interesting debate point. I have had noisy records but most of them haven't been.

I agree. Funnilly enough, I thought of things you've said on other posts as I typed that and I was in two minds whether to submit it. But I thought it might make an interesting debate point. I have had noisy records but most of them haven't been.
thanks for considering me but when you've got something to post it simply has to come out ..... either here or in a case of road rage!

:D:D:D

I have had noisy records but most of them haven't been.
Bad cartridges do a lot of that.
One time, in the early 70's, I was on the road and the other guitarist had brought along one of those cheapo portable stereos. A G.E. Wildcat with the fold down turntable and detachable speakers. (seemed hi-tech back then :))
So I'd just bought a new record and I was laying there stoned watching the needle float along the record and I saw something happening around the stylus. Getting a flashlight I took a very close look and there was a tiny spiral of plastic coiling up behind the stylus as it sliced a sliver of vinyl out of the groove!
:D:D:D

THAT record immediately sounded shitty.

HA! I remember that happening on my first stereo system when I was a kid, One of those soundesign set up's that had a turntable, reciever, 2 cassette decks and an 8 track player. I was playing a brand new album and the light hit the vinyl at the right angle and I noticed that as the record played, the part the needle passed through was dull and the unplayed area was shiny, being 12 years old at the time I realized even then that the needle was instantly carving the grooves out, so I got a nickel and taped it to the back of the stylus arm, it lifted the stylus up just enough to where the needle wouldn't jump and the album still sounded OK, Shortly after that though I started looking for a more hi end turntable and ended up saving enough money(After a couple of years lol...) to buy a pioneer with a strobe speed adjustment and detachable cartridge with weights.

HA! I remember that happening on my first stereo system when I was a kid, One of those soundesign set up's that had a turntable, reciever, 2 cassette decks and an 8 track player. I was playing a brand new album and the light hit the vinyl at the right angle and I noticed that as the record played, the part the needle passed through was dull and the unplayed area was shiny, being 12 years old at the time I realized even then that the needle was instantly carving the grooves out, so I got a nickel and taped it to the back of the stylus arm, it lifted the stylus up just enough to where the needle wouldn't jump and the album still sounded OK, Shortly after that though I started looking for a more hi end turntable and ended up saving enough money(After a couple of years lol...) to buy a pioneer with a strobe speed adjustment and detachable cartridge with weights.
that's funny ......... :D ........ you're the first guy I've run into that also saw that happening to his record.
I'm sure it happened a lot with those cheapie carts and heavy tracking weights but I suppose people just didn't notice.

Glad to see another member with a shit ton of vinyl, Bob. My LP, 78, 45 is close to 10,000. I just started getting into R2R and I find that media to be fantastic. Especially 7 1/2 IPS tapes. My R2R collection is up to 300+ tapes. I own 3 Akia R2R decks and Im always looking for more. My wife says I have a problem. Not as bad as her "Purse" collecting :)

Glad to see another member with a shit ton of vinyl, Bob. My LP, 78, 45 is close to 10,000. I just started getting into R2R and I find that media to be fantastic. Especially 7 1/2 IPS tapes. My R2R collection is up to 300+ tapes. I own 3 Akia R2R decks and Im always looking for more. My wife says I have a problem. Not as bad as her "Purse" collecting :)
cool ........ I guess my collection is close to 10,000 if I include 45's and 78's. I don't really collect those though .... I just have a bunch of them.
But LP's is my thing and I have about 6000 of them. I don't have much R to R stuff though except live recordings of my bands thru the years.
Still have a couple of Teac 3340's though ..... maybe I'll start fooling around with them again.

You guys make my 600+ LP collection look pretty sick. I picked up 300 a while back at a garage sale ($20.00). Most of them were classical, but, a few were old New Orleans jazz and blues records which I have really enjoyed. I found that one of the albums had a bunch of scribbles on the back. Upon looking closer, I found that the "scribbles" were autographs of long gone New Orleans Jazz dudes (Jim Robinson, Sweet Emma, Alcide Pavageau, Ernie Cagnolatti, Andrew Morgan and Josiah "Cie" Frazier). I suspect that to the right person that that album is worth more than all the other 300 records that I picked up. ;)

Back