Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Thanks

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am a man of taste, if not wealth.

I usually skip the introductory threads when I visit a new forum and jump right in a-postin'. However, I've been lurking here for a few days (primarily in the Mastering forum) and am so impressed with the level of expertise available to the novice producer on that board that I decided to take a moment to provide a context for my inane utterances that will surely follow.

First off, I am a total music whore. It would be pointless to name specific genres that I like because I like pretty much anything that has a beat. I even hear music in everyday environmental noises. So, for the sake of brevity, let me just say that I'm mainly interested in producing funk. I loves me some old school funk (e.g., EW&F, Johnny Pate, Mandrill), 80s electrofunk (Midnight Star, Kool & the Gang), funk dance (Paula Abdul), Snoop Dogg's funky-ass G funk... you name it. Me and funk is like Patty Duke and a hotdog, dig?

That said, I have next to no musical talent myself. My background is in IT and electronics. I know how a compressor and a parametric equalizer work and what they do to a signal, but I'm about as tone deaf as they come. I can tell a well-balanced production from a shitty "loudness war" production and strongly prefer the former over the latter, although I know almost nothing about how to produce it. All I know is, writing XML feed parsers is not giving me the creative outlet that I crave. I've therefore spent the last year rounding up gear that I think will help me get the kind of sound I want.

Possibly irrelevant, but to hopefully give you an idea of where I'm coming from, is the fact that I fucking LOVE vintage analog electronics. My "iPod blaster" consists of a Technics New Class A integrated DC amp (ca. 1981) and two pairs of KEF C20s (ca. 1987) found dirt cheap on Ebay. To my ears, this is a damned near perfect low-budget stereo. I can play it loud for hours on end with no listening fatigue whatsoever. You don't even hear the system - the music just seems to float in the air. It's a beautiful thing, baby!

And - you're gonna laugh when you read this - the vast majority of my instruments were made by Casio. These include professional-grade models (e.g., CZ-3000, HT-6000, FZ-1, VZ-8M) as well as a shitload of "toy" models (e.g., SK-200, CT-410V, and almost every MT series keyboard you can name).

Well, this is getting long-winded, so I will save my complete gear list, books I've read, and other background information for a later post.

Regards,
    Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 922 Posts
    i only opened this to ask if you were a man of wealth and taste, but it seems you've got that covered.

welcome to the forums.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    i only opened this to ask if you were a man of wealth and taste, but it seems you've got that covered.

welcome to the forums.
    Thank you for the warm welcome, Steenmaroo. May I call you Steen for short?

In hopes of allaying the deepest fear of you, my willing victims, let me assure you that I'll try to keep the fuckwitted n00b questions to a minimum. I don't want to be spoon fed anything. I am a tinkerer. An experimenter. A dabbler in ancient voodoo. I will have read the manuals, twisted the knobs, exhausted the relevant search results, and be thoroughly stumped before asking questions that seem obvious to the more senior posters.

Regards,
    Jim

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Same here Jim.
    Welcome to the zoo. This place can be a wealth of knowledge as well as a monkey house! So fun while learning who could as for any thing more?

I like the funk also! Back in the day enjoying it's grooves I was but a lonely white boy bee boppn' around N. H. Till finally other backwoods, flannel wearing wild men and mountain girls got a clue.

Here in the noobs section you can ask away on any questions that you want with out fear of being flamed ~ A big forum rule ~ so don't feel silly about asking any mundane stupid feeling question you may have and remember that there is a search button at the top of all forums to research a bit then if you don't get it or want more in depth explanations feel free to ask. .... Just take a look first at some of the oldies but goodies and don't re ask them, questions like ..... *what microphone is best for vocals for under $100. in food stamps* have been asked hundreds of times.

I noticed that you didn't fill out all of your personals while signing up here where are ya from?

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    Same here Jim.
    Welcome to the zoo.
    Thanks, moresound.

This place can be a wealth of knowledge as well as a monkey house! So fun while learning who could as for any thing more?
    So I've seen. Whilst perusing the Mastering forum with absorbed interest, I was tickled to read some of the funniest flaming I've ever read! It reminded me of the dot com era Fucked Company BBS.

I like the funk also! Back in the day enjoying it's grooves I was but a lonely white boy bee boppn' around N. H. Till finally other backwoods, flannel wearing wild men and mountain girls got a clue.
    I don't think the folks here in Oklahoma will ever get a clue. This town is insipidly yawn-inspiring. I'm hoping to move away within a couple of years.

I noticed that you didn't fill out all of your personals while signing up here where are ya from?
    I finally got around to that. I had to view 66 canned avatars one at a time. I presume a certain post count is needed to use your own avatar and title here.

Thanks again for the welcome!
    One day I'll make it into somebody's signature line.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diggy_dude View Post
    Thanks, moresound.

So I've seen. Whilst perusing the Mastering forum with absorbed interest, I was tickled to read some of the funniest flaming I've ever read! It reminded me of the dot com era Fucked Company BBS.

I don't think the folks here in Oklahoma will ever get a clue. This town is insipidly yawn-inspiring. I'm hoping to move away within a couple of years.

I finally got around to that. I had to view 66 canned avatars one at a time. I presume a certain post count is needed to use your own avatar and title here.

Thanks again for the welcome!
    Yup I think that the magical number is 50 to post your own personal avatar as well as any rep points to start to show.

OK city! There are a bunch of people here from around that area.

Have fun Jim and I'll see you around the forums.

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Evokes Stones... = 'Thunderbirds are Go!
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diggy_dude View Post
    May I call you Steen for short?

Jim
    if i can call you betty, then you can call me al,

but if that's not cool, Steen will do just fine

Thanks
    if i can call you betty, then you can call me al,

but if that's not cool, Steen will do just fine
    Just don't call me Shirley. I really hate that.
    One day I'll make it into somebody's signature line.

Thanks
    shir....<ahem>...betty, you can't be serious!

Thread Information