New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

LOL! It did seem like he was talking to himself. :)

As Dave and Mr. Broken stated we need to know what gear you have. Then we can sort it out for you. :D

Hello guys,

my name is Amtroad (as u indeed can see but w/e xD), I am approacing for the first time the home recording environment and I hope to get some advices on how to set up for the start (I'll create a post later) and eventually become able to help others to in this forum, I don't have any strong music style preference but at the same time I love kinda them all :D.

Amtroad

Hi everyone,

My name's Jack. I take freelance work as a recording, mix & mastering engineer, but Im primarily here to conduct some research for my degree. :) If anyone wants to help me out with it I'll be posting in the newbies forum about it in a little while! I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Hello guys,

my name is Amtroad (as u indeed can see but w/e xD), I am approacing for the first time the home recording environment and I hope to get some advices on how to set up for the start (I'll create a post later) and eventually become able to help others to in this forum, I don't have any strong music style preference but at the same time I love kinda them all :D.

Amtroad

Welcome. There are two basic home setups..
The One Man Band where you play/sing everything yourself and build tracks for mixing that way.
Or, a band or some friends to jam with when you can get several instruments recorded at once.

The first, OMB scenario needs just a two mic input Audio Interface. The band rather more depending upon numbers.

Budget! We need one! Ball park for a mic, 2 input AI, cans and sundries 300euros.

Dave.

Hello, name's Craig.

Started home recording almost 1 year ago with my desktop, a M Audio M track, Addictive Drums, and Mixcraft. I made a few decent things then everything got put on hold. Fast forward to now, I am using an Avid ElevenRack and ProTools11. After moving from my desktop to my new "basement studio" area and using my laptop, I've had to add a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as my USB interface now because my laptop only has USB3.0 ports. Long story short --> Windows7+USB3.0+Avid interfaces=blue screen of death. Most of my home recording will be focused on rock type music with some acoustic guitar thrown in and using programmed drums (Addictive Drums 1&2 currently). I have done all my recording direct and not mic'd cabinets yet.

Other recording gear I have is a ST51 and Blue Spark vocal mics. Audix i5 guitar/bass cab mic. JBL sr305 monitors and AKG K240 headphones. I'm using ProTools11 with the Waves Gold plugins so far. I have stopped using Mixcraft5/6 as it CPU intensive and occasionally having issues. I will say it was the easiest thing I've used, but since my 11R came with full PT11, I decided to dive into it.

Laptop- Dell XPS, i5 2.5GHz, 6GB ram, 64 bit Win7 Home Premium
Desktop- (self build) i5 3.5GHz, 16GB ram, 64 bit Win7 Home Premium

Don't hear much about BSODs these days!

I would have thought that Dell was up to the 11rack? Maybe it needs a "root"? Get rid of not needed programs especially any anti-V jobbies (my 4 'putters have been safe for a collective 6 years or so with Msoft SE). Wireless kit is another killer.

If you are looking for a CPU light DAW look no further than Reaper.

Dave.

The Win7 usb3.0 is a known issue by Avid, they just refuse to fix it. As they apparently consider 7 outdated and not worth the time to make a stable driver for that combination. Win8 is no issue. My desktop had both 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports so it was a non issue recording that way.

The Dell runs ProTools11 fine, just not with the Avid made interfaces.

The Win7 usb3.0 is a known issue by Avid, they just refuse to fix it. As they apparently consider 7 outdated and not worth the time to make a stable driver for that combination. Win8 is no issue. My desktop had both 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports so it was a non issue recording that way.

The Dell runs ProTools11 fine, just not with the Avid made interfaces.

I wonder if you used a cheap'ass USB hub on the USB3.0 port if that would fix the issue?

Dave.

Hi guys,
I'm in the process of turning my finished basement into a recording studio for my bands and others down the road.
So far I've added a decoupled wall to the outside of the mixing room and will start the frame out for the isolation room tonight.
I'm a drummer in 3 bands (Shark Dad, SOB and Bum and Possum Combination) here in St. Louis.
I hope to learn a bunch from you all and will try to contribute as I learn.

Room in discussion:
7197122490_f153054d5f_b.jpg

Hey Ya'll I am Phenomenon. NYC DJ since 1996. Studio producer and mixing engineer. I also play piano and learning the guitar. New to this site thought I'd introduce myself. Looking to connect with talented people. Check out my website. (link below) Thank you and feel free to HMU!

Hi guys.

Yet another newb saying hello.

I play drums for a covers band and have somehow ended up being in charge of getting our demo cd sorted lol. We will be recording to a Tascam DP-32, mixing work will be done in studio one 2. Recording starts next week, in the meantime I've been working through various tracks from The 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library (Cambridge Music Technology) to get some practice in.

Looking forward to chatting with some like minded people.

Newbie !! Just bought an ancient fostex x-15 with mini mixer/compressor; know NOTHING .. need to learn EVERYTHING !!

Where do you suggest I start ?

many thanks,

Sid.

" Just bought an ancient fostex x-15 with mini mixer/compressor"

Why Sid if you know nothing? But what do you want to do? Record Self singing/playing? If so you really need an Audio Interface. If you want a strong suggestion in the £100 area. Steinberg UR22.

You will need a microphone of course. Some will suggest the Shure SM57 or 58 and they are fine but a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) will cost the same or less and be infinitely more flexible, especially so if acoustic guitar is a possibility.

You will need to harken unto your creations and headphones will do for starters but if the idea grabs you, you will need monitor speakers pretty soon.

Thus equipped the TECHNICAL quality of the gear will be better than CD (whereas the Fostex is whale ***t). Of course, much practice and work will be needed to get good results but at least that rig will give you a fighting chance!

Dave.

" Just bought an ancient fostex x-15 with mini mixer/compressor"

Why Sid if you know nothing? But what do you want to do? Record Self singing/playing? If so you really need an Audio Interface. If you want a strong suggestion in the £100 area. Steinberg UR22.

You will need a microphone of course. Some will suggest the Shure SM57 or 58 and they are fine but a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) will cost the same or less and be infinitely more flexible, especially so if acoustic guitar is a possibility.

You will need to harken unto your creations and headphones will do for starters but if the idea grabs you, you will need monitor speakers pretty soon.

Thus equipped the TECHNICAL quality of the gear will be better than CD (whereas the Fostex is whale ***t). Of course, much practice and work will be needed to get good results but at least that rig will give you a fighting chance!

Dave.

Thank you. Yeah, perhaps I should elucidate.

I have a pair of tannoy little reds, an 80’s Pioneer 30w amp, Aiwa ‘HX Pro’ cassette deck, Ibanez dm 1000 digi delay, tapco mix-50 mini mixer, early 70’s JHS ‘studio’ type headphones, shure unidyne b and peavey PV (’58 copy) microphones, the fostex x15 and mini-mixer/compressor, and ancient Yamaha drum machine, roland d50 digi piano with a kurzweil shoe-horned into it, a brace of casio keyboards, an accordion, mandolin, bass, about a dozen electric guitars, some lovely amps, and a big bag full of effects pedals.

I specifically want to use 4 track cassette as a recording medium.

I want to make a’ demo’ album , and need some input about slow-speed four-tracking .. tips and techniques, etc, etc … for example..

If I max my pitch control when recording, will the slightly higher speed give any kind of effect, or slightly better quality ? Can I use pitch to thicken or compress sounds ?

And,

What sort of order should I record instruments in, in order to best preserve their quality (and reverberations) whilst over-laying other instruments and voices ??

And,

Can anyone remember a G3 mac specific (early o/s 10 or o/s 9) software I might be able to integrate into my home recording melee ??

Thank you.

Thank you. Yeah, perhaps I should elucidate.

I have a pair of tannoy little reds, an 80’s Pioneer 30w amp, Aiwa ‘HX Pro’ cassette deck, Ibanez dm 1000 digi delay, tapco mix-50 mini mixer, early 70’s JHS ‘studio’ type headphones, shure unidyne b and peavey PV (’58 copy) microphones, the fostex x15 and mini-mixer/compressor, and ancient Yamaha drum machine, roland d50 digi piano with a kurzweil shoe-horned into it, a brace of casio keyboards, an accordion, mandolin, bass, about a dozen electric guitars, some lovely amps, and a big bag full of effects pedals.

I specifically want to use 4 track cassette as a recording medium.

I want to make a’ demo’ album , and need some input about slow-speed four-tracking .. tips and techniques, etc, etc … for example..

If I max my pitch control when recording, will the slightly higher speed give any kind of effect, or slightly better quality ? Can I use pitch to thicken or compress sounds ?

And,

What sort of order should I record instruments in, in order to best preserve their quality (and reverberations) whilst over-laying other instruments and voices ??

And,

Can anyone remember a G3 mac specific (early o/s 10 or o/s 9) software I might be able to integrate into my home recording melee ??

Thank you.

Yikes!!!! .....STILL think you would do better with an AI (you can dump to the Fostex for effect if you like) . Since you hardly sound strapped you might consider an AI such as the Native Instrument KA6 or the Tascam US 1800 (that ok with an old raincoat?)

"Demo" implies you want to send the music somewhere? They won't want tapes.

Dave.

Back