New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

I have no clue either!

Is the MAGIX software as the attachment? If so it is dead easy! The first five years are the worst.
I JEST! I have had Samplitude(s) for at least that long and still have trouble, but then I am not a musician. My son uses it like a third hand.

Re Sam and a MIDI controller, you have work to do! Trick here. Get a project screen up as shown and the hit "y" on the keyboard.
A new menu will pop up showing, amongst other things, the interface, drivers and VST folder path. Hit "Advanced" and you will be plunged into a another new set of parameters, much of which need to be "right" to get the controller working. For instance you might need to "tell" Samplitude to use "Mackie Control" and there are even two of those! OR! It might use UEI ?

Just get some tracks recorded from microphone or guitar and get familiar with saving, editing, ins and outs and general duties. Once you are "fluent" you can worry about MIDI stuff.

Samplitude is no more difficult to understand and use than most DAWs..They ALL hard! Cubase e.g. is great for MIDI but different again from Sam (and harder IMHO) .
Reaper MIGHT suit you better but if you have paid for Sam stick with it, I doubt Reaper is any easier (have , paid for, rarely use it) . I have also bought Sonar Ess X1. Now THAT is hard! I hate it.

So, head down and larn! I have dlldd the 7 day demo of Sam Home and it looks ok, what I expected. Cannot get any of the tutorial vids to work but that might be cos I have'nt bought it.

Dave.

Attachments

• sam home.png
    sam home.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 42
Derek, if you find the work flow better in live, stick with live. If you can afford to cut your losses, I would recommend you go with what works for you. Samplitude is a great DAW, but if you find it counter-intuitive, it's not for you. I spent years in Cakewalk/Sonar and finally got Reason. Never looked back. The workflow was so much easier. I'm not saying Reason is the best DAW on the planet. But it is for me!

Foam will not help nearly as much as OC 703/705. Corner traps (you did not mention) will define the bass response in your room.

You have an AKAI keyboard, and an interface and microphone. It may seem like an awful lot of money, but I just put $8k into my studio this year...so a few questions:
What studio monitors will you be mixing with?
What headphones will you be using to track?
Did you hang a cloud?
What genre are you working with? This will define your workflow. EDM is different than Rap is different than R&B, etc. There are lots of things that will work the same, but you need to get your own flow and your own vibe going. And each song may be a totally different workflow. Keys first, beat first, guitar first, vocal first are all acceptable when tracking. I've done all of the above. Basic (and I mean basic) workflow for most. Write the song and get it recorded. Practice and re track everything that wasn't GREAT when you did it the first time. Trim and level. Mix it till it sounds absolutely fabulous. Add compression/limiting/effects (some of that has to be done during mixing to get the levels right). Send it for mastering (or do it yourself).

I'll give you the following advice on how to find the answers. No one can hand you the answers on how to use your studio, but we can point you toward them. :D

I recommend the free course from Berkely College at Coursera on Introduction To Music Production to anyone just starting out to get the basics in yer head. Get the terms down, get the basics of how to use effects/compressors/limiters/leveling amps/etc, some basics on signal path and gain staging, plus quite a bit more. This will get you going.

Read lots of stickys here. Go to each forum that interests you and read the sticky posts there...skim the big ones :)

TRY! If you don't experiment and get frustrated, you'll never have anything to overcome.

Ask pointed questions about specific things. "I set my limiting amp with these settings that were recommended and it still sounds like a cat being deep fried when I sing." and post a sample. NOT "What settings will work best when using a limiting amp?" Depends on the voice.
"How to I find the right frequencies to duck to kill my sibilance?" and "How do you use those frequencies to side chain a compressor?" will get you a lot further than "What's the best plug for removing sibilance?"
"How can I get better control of my pitchiness?" not "Please rate my voice."

Don't ask for opinion unless you want it. You WILL get both sides of any question if you ask opinion. "What's the best mike for vocals under $500?" will get you so many answers as to be confusing. You can find that answer by going to a local shop that allows returns and trying several in your own studio with your own voice. Record samples and post them and ask what sounds the best to trained ears...

Most of all. DO. Get into your DAW and figure out how to get it working the way you want it to.
USE the microphone and learn how it sounds best for your voice and style. Does it sound better when you have 3" between the mike and the screen or 6" or 9"? Does it sound sweeter if its head on or 15 degrees off axis? Do you sound better when you sing straight on or when you look up slightly?
Get that keyboard down. Know what every knob and slider and pad is for.

Happy Recording :D

I can help with some of the specific questions you asked, though.
Arpegiator makes a chord (depending on how it's set up) play single notes up, down, or up and down. i.e. hold a C chord and it plays C E G or G E C or C E G E C. See this link.
Latch allows the notes to continue playing after you release the keys.
Tap tempo lets you tap a pad and it detects the tempo you are tapping.
Loop makes it play the same (specified) area of the song over and over.
Not sure about note repeat, but it sounds pretty self-explanatory. Play with it a bit...

Hello; my name is Marty and of course I'm new to this forum and new to sound equipment also. I have a really basic problem: how do you plug in a Peavey 118D subwoofer to a Mackey 1202 VLZ mixing board? I reviewed the specs @ the Mackey site; nothing was said in all that technospeak about subwoofers. Any takers? I'd really appreciate knowing if I'm gonna have to get a different mixing board. Marty4dive

Hello; my name is Marty and of course I'm new to this forum and new to sound equipment also. I have a really basic problem: how do you plug in a Peavey 118D subwoofer to a Mackey 1202 VLZ mixing board? I reviewed the specs @ the Mackey site; nothing was said in all that technospeak about subwoofers. Any takers? I'd really appreciate knowing if I'm gonna have to get a different mixing board. Marty4dive

Subwoofer will have it's own built in crossover, so it plugs in just like any other speaker. It's active (has it's own power) so you plug it into a main out. Easiest way is to chain it directly off your main speakers (unless your main speakers are being run by an external amplifier).

HiYa Brocken H,
Thank you so much for the information.
I have been on the Berklee college site and I am waiting at the moment for the course date to come to my inbox.
Judging by what you say, it seems as though I have totally jumped the gun a bit or maybe a lot lol.
I bought all of the gear first without asking any questions at all.
The reason I went to magix samplitude was because I already have a lot of their software (MAGIX PHOTO STORY ON DVD DELUXE) (MAGIX PHOTO MANAGER DELUXE) MAGIX PHOTO STORY 2014 DELUXE) MAGIX MOVIE EDIT PRO) )(MAGIX MUSIC MAKER 2014 PREMIUM) (MAGIX MUSIC MAKER MX) (MAGIX SAMPLITUDE MUSIC STUDIO 2) and the big one (MAGIX SAMPLITUDE MUSIC STUDIO FULL VERSION) which I bought even without a trial first (my fault lol)
The reason I am going with Ableton is because I find it easier to understand their explanations of things and maybe once I have learnt from Ableton I will give Samplitude another try.
With Ableton I have the full trial version for 30 days free of charge so I will let you know how I get on.
Thank you again
Derek

Hey folks! I've been posting for a few days after lurking for ages, but I haven't formally introduced myself. So here goes:

My name is Brian Miller. I make a full time living as a variety artist - magician, comedian, mind reader, and musician - for colleges and corporate events nationwide. Visit Brian Miller Magic | College Magician | Corporate Magician for info about that.

I was originally in school for audio engineering, but then finished a dual Bachelors of Science in each mathematics and philosophy, prepared to begin work on my PhD in philosophy, then left it all to pursue a career in entertainment, which I've done full time ever since. Whew!

Music production has always been my favorite non-professional passion, but last year I began to mix and master semi-professionally and took up the art again very seriously. My genres of interest are singer songwriter, acoustic pop, and rock. I significantly prefer mixing to tracking. You can hear my work at www.eschersenigma.com which is the studio project I do with my father.

Hardware: Macbook Pro 13", Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Presonus Eris E8 monitors, AKAI MPK Mini midi controller.

Software: Presonus Studio One Professional and Virtual Studio Live, FabFilter Pro-L, Pro-Q, and Saturn, EZ Drummer, Melodyne Editor, Waves Gold, and tons of freeware plugins.

Mics: Groove Tubes GT-50, Shure SM-86, pair of Sennheiser 609s.

Instruments: Custom Jackson Infinity Pro, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Diamond Tele, custom Steinberger Spirit Pro, custom Ovation Balladeer, Martin 12 string, Yamaha acoustic, Korg SP-170S digital piano.

Amps/Cabs: Peavey JSX 120w, Marshall 1936 2x12 cab, Fender Mustang II.

Really looking forward to connecting with everybody and sharing knowledge!

~Brian

Last edited:
Hello ppl :)

I'm from Croatia and i love music and i love to record. I joined here because i'm noob in these waters and i want to learn more about equipment , techiniques and all other stuff that can come in handy.

Peace brothers and Sisters :)

Hello everyone. I found this board looking for some assistance with my Tascam SD32. I'll post in the Tascam forum about that but this looks like a useful place.
Hello again.

Hey
I previously introduced myself and am still new to recording and mixing. I've done work on tape.
Hopefully get an ear training on this site.
Thanks

Hi I'm Spencer. I enjoy many, many styles of music, but I typically stick to playing prog, punk, and alternative. Sometimes I also fix guitars. I joined so I can get some advice on putting together a half-decent home recording setup on a minimum-wage budget.

Hello everyone, Just joined the forum i am a music producer from boston. I make tech house, techno, ambient creepy tones, and some rap beats when im feeling it. I use Fl sutdio and reason 5. Love to met new people and chat about music and like to share stems and colab with people and remix other peoples songs. Heres my soundcloud i got a few songs up there that i will send stems if you want to sample them so check it out and let me no what you think https://soundcloud.com/enolagray

Hi, folks.

We put up a cooperation in Helsinki, Finland 1,5 years back. We focus on services in cultural production in the broad sense of the term. I am the initiator/tinkerer/innovator/CEO of the enterprise.

So far our main income has come out of commercial videos, inverviews and my field; live streaming.

I am rather ambitious, and a perfectionist by nature. Times are hard - and resources scarce - so the investments I've made so far are mostly based on what's available on 2nd hand market.

Our gear lets us do multi-cam hq live streaming. The demand of raw computing resources in our work is notable, and the investments we've made open up vast chances for other hobbies - for example music production.

That is why I came to this forum.

A month or so ago I knew nothing about DAWs or audio interfaces, but to control the audio of our live streams better, I bought a cheap exhibition unit of Lexicon I-onix U42S.

I installed the bundled Cubase LE 4, and been soaking myself into the world of digital audio production ever since. Oh boy, what a wonderful new world it is.

A few years back I broke a finger and since that my guitar has been piling dust, but not anymore!

This forum seems like a really good one, and I am looking forward to get to know you people better and share experiences.

Back