Hey all!

Moshe

Name is Moshe
Old guy now - 75 yrs old. Was on this board years ago and always got great advice!
Guitar & Pedal Steel guy - 60 yrs
Bought and hooked up the below equipment in the 80's and used Cakewalk to create some fun toons (backup tracks to jam with, add guitar tracks to)

Devices & Equipment:
Korg NX5r
Roland JV 1010
2 Eurotrack Pro 8-Ch Mixers
BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer 422A
STA 96 ADC & DAC2000 Studio
OMS Studio 64 XTC
Yamaha V50 keybd.
Mostly old drivers (Win98) for the above

Computers:
Win 98, thru Win10 and use a flat-panel TV for a monitor.
Now starting over, from almost scratch, having forgotten how to hook up and use most of the above. Any hope for me in all this or just forget about it all? Retired now and the above is something to give me some relevance to myself in my old age, if nothing more than that.

Many thanks for any input from what I know to be a great group of helpful folks.

Hi Moshe,
Welcome back to the forum!

I guess the first thing would be to figure out your goals. Do you want to set up and use this specific equipment because it's there and it's what you have,
or are you looking for a working audio setup and not too concerned about whether it's old or new gear?

I'm mostly asking because the STA + DAC look like PCI slot and most recent drivers for Windows XP.
If you're building around then it probably ties you to an older computer and older software
whereas you could probably start of with a new modern usb interface and your current computer (depending on specs) and maybe make things a little easier.

Tell us more. :)

Old guy now - 75 yrs old......Guitar & Pedal Steel guy - 60 yrs
Any hope for me in all this or just forget about it all? Retired now and the above is something to give me some relevance to myself in my old age, if nothing more than that.
I, for one, am supremely encouraged by you getting back into all this at your age. More power to you and keep persevering and enjoying your creativity.

Thanks folks!

Name is Moshe
Old guy now - 75 yrs old. Was on this board years ago and always got great advice!
Guitar & Pedal Steel guy - 60 yrs
Bought and hooked up the below equipment in the 80's and used Cakewalk to create some fun toons (backup tracks to jam with, add guitar tracks to)

Devices & Equipment:
Korg NX5r
Roland JV 1010
2 Eurotrack Pro 8-Ch Mixers
BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer 422A
STA 96 ADC & DAC2000 Studio
OMS Studio 64 XTC
Yamaha V50 keybd.
Mostly old drivers (Win98) for the above

Computers:
Win 98, thru Win10 and use a flat-panel TV for a monitor.
Now starting over, from almost scratch, having forgotten how to hook up and use most of the above. Any hope for me in all this or just forget about it all? Retired now and the above is something to give me some relevance to myself in my old age, if nothing more than that.
Many thanks for any input from what I know to be a great group of helpful folks.

I am a computer geek and a webmaster by trade but semi-retired, and still a musician above all. I don't mind old gear if it will be helpful to build some jam tracks to practice with as it's tough to find other folks to make music with where and how I have to live. I also teach, and jam tracks for students are a treat for them. I also always have ideas for songs but without supporting instrumentation and a way to express the idea(s) is depressing.

If I ever develop anything I think has merit I am more than willing to buy newer/better gear but would not ever hesitate taking something I think really has merit to real pro's for further development/mixing/mastering.

Above all, I need something to do with winter coming on and retirement without some outlet just plain 'sucks'.
Stay well y'all

Hi Moshe! I shall be 75 in a couple of months and I can get things working (can't PLAY FA but it all works!)

Found this:file:///C:/Users/44785/AppData/Local/Temp/_home_httpd_data_media-data_e_DSP2000-.pdf

Had a very brief glance and it looks like a decent bit of kit? I would run it on XP, I had 98 but never did recording with it. Being a computer bod (I am definitely NOT one!) you will know of the limitations, memory maxed out to 3.5G can't use an SSD (I don't think?)

But! Many a good tune played on an old fiddle. I am sure you will get that lot hooked up and flying in no time. Er? Don't think I saw any monitor speakers in the list? I would expect a man of your calibre to have some serious speakers about the place?

Dave.

Back