Headphone monitoring issues....SUPER NEWB Q

C-dawg

Hello everyone. I just recently purchased an akai EIE interface with the free Cubase le5 Download. I methodically went through the setup process and everything works perfectly EXCEPT for the fact that I only hear out of the left side of my headphones when plugged into the EIE headphone jack. Anyone have some ideas as to what I may have overlooked? Thanks

Hi,
Are you using a size adapter from 3.5mm to 1/4"? If so, does it have two bands on it, or just one?
It should have a metal tip, ring and sleeve. If it has tip and sleeve only, that's your answer.

Failing that, do the headphones work in any other device? Prove them to be working elsewhere.

If none of that is any good, please come back and tell me. :)

Welcome to HR, C-Dawg. :)

image.jpg

Is this the correct size? Headphones work fine in an iPod. Any ideas? Thanks for helping btw. I feel like this forum will be very helpful in the future

Are you recording mono sources to stereo tracks? If so then generally the mono audio ends up on the left side of a stereo audio file. When you play it back it only comes out the left side, and if you pan it right it disappears. Record your mono sources to mono tracks.

Very similar symptoms can come from the adapter issue mentioned above or from connecting stereo headphones to a mono unbalanced line output.

Is this the correct size? Headphones work fine in an iPod. Any ideas? Thanks for helping btw. I feel like this forum will be very helpful in the future
Unfortunately that is the adapter you need.

The other guys probably have it sussed then. Check the pan settings on your recorded tracks and make sure you're telling your audio to come out of the left and right.

I'm not a cubase guy, but I know we have a few around here.

It's a great forum. Hope you stick around. :)

What is the source material that you're trying to hear? Are you playing back a recorded track? If so, is it a stereo track? If 'yes', does your DAW show signal on both left and right sides? I'm just trying to help you confirm that there's something to actually hear in both L & R channels.

A couple of things:

First, as has been said, make sure you're recording any mono source (i.e. microphones) on a mono track and that the pan on the track is set to centre. Recording to half a stereo track will give you the effect you mention.

Second, I've never used the EIE but know it has a mono/stereo switch for the main monitors. Try throwing it in case it also affects the headphones.

Hi C-dawg and welcome.
The crunch test is whether you get both channels on playback of a Tube track or CD?

If so this proves out the DAC/Headphone amp path and, as others have said, leave the "one lug" issue down to software setup.

It would be very useful C-d if you COULD get the EIE flying right because it is an AI that promised a lot but has failed to deliver IMHO.
Few people seem to have got one and we therefore get very little feedback on driver quality, pre amps or general usability. This was not helped when Akai put a round thru' foot and produced two models! The bog S and the "Pro".

The VU meters LOOK cool but I cannot see much virtue in them for digital work?

Dave.

Back