Condenser stand from the ceiling? Possible?

dudi1991

Hey.. I'm wondering, I wanna buy a stand for my condenser mic, but I want the stand to connect the ceiling.
Like.. A boom hand stand but instead of being on the floor, connect it to the ceiling.

Is it possible?

the stand i mean:

$T2eC16N,!w0FI,Cfi+FNBSZO8s))(!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!ogFI(i4wSpzBSNtjwVBK!~~60_12.JPG

thanks so much!

Heh! I saw a photo a while back of a studio (Nashville I think?) where they had a dozen or more mics suspended from the ceiling.

Dave.

If you dig around a bit you can find boom stands that screw onto the desk rather than clamping--on of those could be screwed to the ceiling just as well--though, due to weight, I'd suggest that you find a joist rather than just going into the sheet rock.

If you use a mic stand that has the heavy round bottom base, the bottom of the upright piece is threaded, just find a corresponding female part that can be attached to the ceiling joist. Note that it is going to be 'stuck' in that one location, though. I think floor stands are much more practical.

hey, thanks for all the answers.

ive try to search for stands that screw into.. but couldnt dind any.

do you have something that can help me??

and sorry.. what do you mean by "find a corresponding female part?"

do you have an image or something to show me better? or describe me?

thanks. (and im sorry i dont understand..)

mic_table_stand.jpg
The male part is the upright of the stand. The female thread is in the base. I don't know what the thread size is, but it probably is a standard pipe thread size.

⅝″ 27 threads per inch (tpi) Unified Straight thread (UNS, U.S. and the rest of the world)
¼″ BSW (uncommon in the U.S., used in the rest of the world)
⅜″ BSW (uncommon in the U.S., used in the rest of the world)
Above are the general mic stand threads and they are different from pipe threads (mind you, the USA/UK/EU makes the whole situation a clustercluck)

Your best bet is a brass tube boss of the type used for wardrobe rails then get a small engineering shop to make you a reducer to fit a standard mic stand pole.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/round-end-sockets-polished-chrome-25mm-pack-of-8/92835

Dave.

hey, thanks for all the answers.

ive try to search for stands that screw into.. but couldnt dind any.

do you have something that can help me??

HERE'S the sort of boom arm I mentioned. There are other manufacturers but this is the brand I've used in the past.

You don't say where you are, but (if in the USA) I know that B&H sell them--though I'm sure there are other dealers.

Anyhow, as you can see there's a whole system with the screw on plate, extensions if necessary, the boom arms and so on.

Having said all that, I'm kinda with those who have said that a ceiling mount could be a bit limiting, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Re fixing to plasterboard (what we call sheet rock) I agree you must find a joist but in general you can get a very good fixing if you use a secondary plate of 19mm high grade ply and fix that with at least 4 aluminium plasterboard fixing (they screw into the PB then a supplied selftap goes into the ally fixing) NB do not buy the plastic version, or if you do, buy a chocolate teapot as well to use at breaktime.

Dave.

Back