Clicks - me or my mic?

BlindOptimism

Hi there!

I am a complete amateur when it comes to audio recording, so forgive me if this is a simple problem. I've searched your forums for tips, but either haven't found or haven't understood the solution I need.

I do a lot of video work which requires narration. Until now, I've been using my computer's in-built mic, simply because it has been the simplest solution, but now I'd like to branch out and get a microphone. I'm thinking of a USB Yeti, Snowball or Snowflake.

But before I buy anything, I have a question. I have a huge problem with 'clicks' in my recordings. Currently, I have to edit out all of these clicks in post production, but not only is this (very) time consuming, but I can also lose a lot of content if the click comes at the wrong time (which it often does). I've done a monumental amount of research across the web, but without telling someone my specific problem, I'm apprehensive about spending my cash.

I think the clicks in my audio are mouth noises, but I'm not 100% sure. The reason I think this is because I can record other, non-vocal without too many problems (The quality isn't amazing, as it's an only an inbuilt mic, but at least it's clear and coherent). I don't want to spend a lot of money on a mic and then discover the fault is with me. I've recently started using a popper stopper and that seems to have made a slight difference, but I still have to go through my recordings with a fine-tooth comb. The thing is, the sound quality doesn't have to be radio-DJ quality - I don't have a great voice anyway - I would just like to be able to record without having to worry that the audio will be unusable or take a long time to clean.

Here's the thing; I've been watching video reviews on youtube of all the different microphones and sometimes, I can hear clicks in the audio, just like mine. This leads me to believe that it's an unavoidable problem that I'm just going to have to deal with, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I've also heard that there is software available that can remove clicks, but I'm skeptical, as I tried "Click Removal" filters in both Soundtrack Pro and Audacity and neither made any difference whatsoever.

So, here's my question: Will buying a USB mic cut out the clicks, or am I going to have to train myself to move my mouth more efficiently when I talk? In other words, is the problem with me, or my mic?

Thanks for any help or tips you can provide.

Here's the equipment I use, if it helps:

Macbook Pro 2012 model
Recording software: Garage Band (previously tried other software such as Quicktime, Audacity, Final Cut Pro and Soundtrack Pro. Garage Band appears to be the best).
Editing software: Final Cut Pro
Microphone: Currently the Mac's inbuilt mic

If you posted a clip of your audio (you need 10 posts but there's another thread in this forum where you can run your post count up) then perhaps someone will have a listen and give you a bit more information about your noises.

It would be unlikely that you're making noises without knowing it, so it's more likely something to do with the mic's interaction with the soundcard and then the program. Will a USB mic fix it? Depends what the problem is.

If all you want is fairly basic voiceover quality then you should be getting a mic anyway and a USB one will probably do. They not much chop for audio, but OK-ish for what it sounds like you're doing.

If you posted a clip of your audio (you need 10 posts but there's another thread in this forum where you can run your post count up) then perhaps someone will have a listen and give you a bit more information about your noises.

It would be unlikely that you're making noises without knowing it, so it's more likely something to do with the mic's interaction with the soundcard and then the program. Will a USB mic fix it? Depends what the problem is.

If all you want is fairly basic voiceover quality then you should be getting a mic anyway and a USB one will probably do. They not much chop for audio, but OK-ish for what it sounds like you're doing.

Yeah, basic is fine - it's more of a time saver than anything else. Editing single frames of audio for hours on end is driving me mad! Thanks for your advice. I'm assuming that a mic would solve the problem, I just didn't want to splash out if it was my fault, rather than a technical issue. Once I hit 10 posts, I'll upload an example of my clicks. Thanks again and have a nice day :)

If all you were using in the past was the built in mic then thats cool if it works but your not using any kind of interface, which could be your problem. If any usb mic fixes your problem then your problem is that you had no interface. A usb mic is a mic that you don't need a interface for because the interface is inside of the mic. There are however things such as the blue icle that allows you to use any mic as a usb mic. A usb mic is like having a single channel interface. Also an interface is a like having a really good quality sound card, and that is what is stopping you from using the built in mic on your computer. Also an interface has such things as xlr(mic), instrument(1/4 inch) inputs and phantom power(47 volts).

I don't think it's splosives, as sometimes the clicks come between words. I admit, using a popper stopper did seem to cut down on some of the clicks, but there's still a few hanging on in there.

I have an example I can show you, but I haven't made enough posts to link it properly. I don't know if I'm allow to do this, but I've broken it up into text form if anyone really wants to see.

tinyurl [dot] com/bumd9pn

I know 10-seconds won't be a great indicator, but you see what I mean, right? Thanks for all the advice you guys are offering :)

Hi,
The only clicks I hear there are mouth noises.
I worked with a guy who was narrating an audio book. He did this but about ten times worse.

I tried making him aware of it, plying him with water, moving to dampened rooms, different mics.........everything.
They all helped a lot, but not enough.
The only thing that worked completely was narrating it myself.

Strangely, he had no problems when he was putting on voices for characters in the book.

So, here's my question: Will buying a USB mic cut out the clicks, or am I going to have to train myself to move my mouth more efficiently when I talk? In other words, is the problem with me, or my mic?

I think it's just up to you to be aware of this problem and to try to train yourself, as you suggest.
Either that or lease your voice work to me. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. So it's not really worth spending £100 on a mic, as I'll still have the same problems I'm having right now, just with nicer sound quality at the end of it all. I'll see if I can work on my pronunciation hopefully I'll find a technique that will cut down on those annoying noises.

You've really helped me out here - thanks! :)

Those are glottal clicks - caused when your uvula hits the palate. Maybe using a decent dynamic mic and backing off about 3-4 inches (with a pop filter in place) would be better?

Those are glottal clicks - caused when your uvula hits the palate. Maybe using a decent dynamic mic and backing off about 3-4 inches (with a pop filter in place) would be better?

I think you're right about backing off - I tend to notice the clicks are worse the closer I get. Of course, because I only use my in-built mic, if I get too far away, the sound is horrendous, so maybe a good mic would be beneficial as well, even if my mouth does create clicks.

I'm reading up on mouth clicks and noises and there are loads of different suggestions, from drinking water to eating apples, so I'll give everything a try and I'll let you all know if my audio improves.

All those things I listed helped in my situation, but just not enough.
Like I say though, my guy's noises were far worse that yours, so maybe you'll have more success with them than we did?

As said, dynamic mic, pop filter (even a foam head), and keeping your distance should help.
If your room is very bright it'll do the situation no favours; This is one of those scenarios where a dampened sound is better.

All those things I listed helped in my situation, but just not enough.
Like I say though, my guy's noises were far worse that yours, so maybe you'll have more success with them than we did?

As said, dynamic mic, pop filter (even a foam head), and keeping your distance should help.
If your room is very bright it'll do the situation no favours; This is one of those scenarios where a dampened sound is better.

Will take all that onboard. Even a slight improvement will be something, even if my dreams of being the next David Attenborough have been crushed ;)

Thanks for all your help.

I'm surprised no one has really commented on the fact that the puter's built in mic is about the worst mic ever.
Get a USB mic of some sort ...... I've not used one but others here will make reccomendations.
Or a dynamic would maybe be better to eliminate or reduce the clicks but then you'd need some sorta cheap interface.
Or are there USB dynamics?

Either way ...... get a mic.

i have posted many threads about clicknig i wouldnt be surprised if you found them while searching for solutions. i use a declicker and denoiser in sony vegas from time to time but if they occur. i switched many different audio interfaces and even computers and still clicking. quite strange. apple and pc. usb and pci etc. i get them less with dynamic mics and when i keep the mic on a stand a such rather than in hand etc. yes some is mouth noise and distance from the mic doesnt always help. you will notice than if you record music from a speaker with your mic the clicks wont be there. quite hilarious. lotso fp eople have this issue you see it all the time on youtube watching people review their at2020 condenser mic or blue snowball but like i said it happens more with condensers. i use dynamics partly because of this.

Back