Buffer size and latency issues

GuniSaar

Hey there.
I'm using a mpk mini mk II, ableton live 10, and a Behringer HD 404.
When i'm home I set up the Behringer (ASIO) driver in ableton preferences and the buffer size is automated and unchangeable. The MIDI latency from my mpk mini in that situation is perfect and just great to play.

BUT, i'm traveling a lot and I usually don't take my Behringer audio interface with. Just the mpk mini and my laptop and connect them with an USB cable. I'm then configuring the MME\DirectX as the driver and manually adjusting the buffer size (No input audio device, just MIDI).

Untill a few days ago i used to set the output buffer size to 704 samples and it worked perfectly with possible latency.
But now for some reason, if the buffer size is less than 3264 samples, the sound is horrible and LOADED with noise, but at 3264 samples or more the latency is impossible to work with.

I have NO IDEA what has changed and i'm really annoyed.

Please help a newbie to make some ok music for fun.

Thanks (and sorry for my English &\or grammer),
Guni.

I don't have anything like your setup (G'son has my MIDI kbd) but I fired up Modartt's Pianoteq, see attached.

This 6ish year old i3 HP laptop gave me virtually instant playback from the screen kbd and excellent sound quality from the driver and buffer setting shown.

I suggest you install the demo of Pianoteq as that should prove the system out.

Dave.

Attachments

• PTQ.png
    PTQ.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 20
Untill a few days ago i used to set the output buffer size to 704 samples and it worked perfectly with possible latency.
But now for some reason, if the buffer size is less than 3264 samples, the sound is horrible and LOADED with noise, but at 3264 samples or more the latency is impossible to work with.

Hi,
Running with a low buffer sizes is more resource intensive than with higher buffer sizes so, depending on your hardware, you might find that it becomes impossible to keep it low as you add more virtual instruments and effects.
Some Daws will glitch/click/pop etc when they're in trouble; Others will throw an error and tell you why.

You might want to see if there's a ASIO driver options rather than MME.
I know little about it, but I think one of the the main points of ASIO is better performance and latency.

Hi,
Running with a low buffer sizes is more resource intensive than with higher buffer sizes so, depending on your hardware, you might find that it becomes impossible to keep it low as you add more virtual instruments and effects.
Some Daws will glitch/click/pop etc when they're in trouble; Others will throw an error and tell you why.

You might want to see if there's a ASIO driver options rather than MME.
I know little about it, but I think one of the the main points of ASIO is better performance and latency.

AKAIK with PCs, THE biggest factor in getting low latency is the interface and especially how well its ASIO drivers are written. My i3 HP is of very modest power in todays world but we did not have problems some years ago with an even weaker PC (2.6G 2core) and a 2496 PCI card. M-Audio drivers were noted for their excellence (no idea how they do these days?)

The DAW can have some effect since some grab more resource than others, e.g. Reaper is famous for its miniscule CPU hit. Mind you, as Mr S says, if you load on FX and plugins? Buzzy/clicky mess.

Laptop On Board Sound is not noted for low latency and of course you cannot use ASIO drivers. You could try the uber cheap Behringer UCA202 with ASIO4all?

Dave.

If you're using on-board sound, then just grab ASIO4ALL and dial down the buffer size as much as your hardware will allow. It's not the best, but it'll work way better/faster than MME will, and should be fine when you're on the go.

If you're using on-board sound, then just grab ASIO4ALL and dial down the buffer size as much as your hardware will allow. It's not the best, but it'll work way better/faster than MME will, and should be fine when you're on the go.

Yes, certainly worth a try. The 202 however is touted as "Ultra Low Latency". Ok! Yeah I know! Behringer puff but they are SO cheap it is surely worth a fair go? The replay quality really is not at all bad I have had 3. Record is not so hot, limited analogue headroom (neg ten device) and 16 bits but then maybe MIDI sound is no better than 16 bit anyway?

Even if it doesn't work out they are ideal for cassette or vinyl dubbing.

Dave.

Back