Audio Interface Questions

nym15rc

Hey, I am new to recording gear etc. and I wanted to start to get some gear to begin recording my songs. I got a Behringer Audio interface for christmas. It has to input ports and two output ports. Is there any way I can plug my guitar into this or do I need a mixer? Where do I start?

Thank You!

yes you can plug in if your guitar has a line out or you can mic up your guitar

Yo Nym. Welcome to the board! Electric guitars are usually recorded using a nifty device called a "microphone". You *can* plug the guitar directly into the interface if it has an instrument input, called high impedence, or high-z. Then you have to use an amp modeler in the computer recording software to simulate the sound of an amp. The third way, as suggested abnove, is to take a line output from the amp (only if it has a line out) to the line in on the interface. Although some folks, including me, have gotten pretty good sounds using modelers, most folks, including me, prefer to use microphones when possible. There are also outboard mic modelers, such as the Line 6 POD, that can plug into the interface line input, or go directly to the computer by USB. Most engineers, as I said, prefer mics. The good news is that even in big time studios, the favored mics for this are often cheap stage mics, such as Shure SM57. For wicked cheap, Behringer XM8500 isn't bad, about $20 brand new. Just get a mic.-Richie

First off, which Behringer interface do you have? They make several, each with different features. One is guitar/instrument only, at lease one does microphones and there's even one only suitable for plugging your old turntable into. Which you have will make a difference to giving you detailed advice.

That said, there are three basic ways you can record guitar, depending on the facilities your interface has:

-Put a microphone in front of your amp speakers and record that. This is probably the "purist" way to do it but relies on a decent mic, amp and interface.

-Take the "line out" of your amp (if it has such a thing) to the line in on your interface. This lets you use any effects added in your amp but misses the "tone" introduced by your speaker cabinets.

-Plug your guitar straight into your interface (if it has an "instrument in"). This is simple in itself but you need to add any and all guitar effects in your DAW or it sounds very "clean" and lifeless.

(A fourth variation would be to use an "amp simulator" like a Line 6 pod to add effects then feed it into your interface--but I've tried to avoid suggestions that mean spending more money.)

Anyhow, which is right for you will depend on a mix of what facilities your amp and interface have--and what eventual sound you want to achieve.

Yo Nym. Welcome to the board! Electric guitars are usually recorded using a nifty device called a "microphone". You *can* plug the guitar directly into the interface if it has an instrument input, called high impedence, or high-z. Then you have to use an amp modeler in the computer recording software to simulate the sound of an amp. The third way, as suggested abnove, is to take a line output from the amp (only if it has a line out) to the line in on the interface. Although some folks, including me, have gotten pretty good sounds using modelers, most folks, including me, prefer to use microphones when possible. There are also outboard mic modelers, such as the Line 6 POD, that can plug into the interface line input, or go directly to the computer by USB. Most engineers, as I said, prefer mics. The good news is that even in big time studios, the favored mics for this are often cheap stage mics, such as Shure SM57. For wicked cheap, Behringer XM8500 isn't bad, about $20 brand new. Just get a mic.-Richie

Thanks a bunch man!

i never read electric guitar sorry, yeah if you have a decent amp get an sm57 and use that to record it, otherwise any cheap mic will "do" but don't expect miracles right off the bat, check old forum posts on how to record and tweakheadz or get some books magazines they'll help you a lot

As GazEcc said above, whether you use a mic, a modeler, or whatever, expect it to take quite a bit of trial and error to get the recorded sound you are looking for. Many of us have been at it for years, and are still hunting the Great White Whale. Don't get discouraged.-Richie

Back