Where's the production value?

Just a suggestion to anyone interested: when you post a tune in the clinic, listen and post comments to a few other threads that are there at the same time.

lol that jogged my memory...it was XLR!!

too funny :D he called me level 1 scum

LemonTree said:
it was XLR!!

too funny he called me level 1 scum

Perhaps you suffer from paranoia. Here's the exchange to which you refer:

Originally Posted by LemonTree
...300+ hits and 4 guys have a listen, what happened to this place?

XLR's response: HR's mp3 clinic is slowly becoming yet another mp3 forum where people post music and wait for others to comment, yet they themselves don't comment on anyone else's music.

Make of it what you will.

Nah,...

I was joking. I'm not hurt.:eek:;)

I can't weigh in on this subtopic without getting too wordy. I think you take e'one's music on face value, and to each their own on listening and commenting, but there's no single set of rules in listening protocol for all listeners, nor do they record or post for the same reasons. It's about respecting diversity, on this BBS and in life in general.

I listen to a few recordings here, comment a little, and post very little as I don't produce that much, but when I do I appreciate if people give it a listen. I don't nitpick other's mixes much, nor do I put much value in it. That's all subjective, and for e'one who listens you'll likely get that many opinions on how they'd prefer the mix. My stuff sounds pretty much how I want it before it's posted, but critique the mix if u like, it's all fair game. I think the word "clinic" on this sub-forum has many people psyched up about it a bit too much. There's nothing with being a listening audience for the pure reason of auditioning stuff. How about listening to home recorded stuff for pleasure, instead of trying to be so technical about it? It's a big world and it takes all kinds to make it go around. For members to declare their standard for listenership and disdain of others who don't march to their drum, I'll just have to disagree. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about it, though I'll agree it's probably nice in terms of etiquette to offer a few crits just to touch base with the other musicians here and there, and take part in things posted and listened to.

Got a little wordy. Gonna leave it at that.:eek:;)

there's no single set of rules in listening protocol for all listeners

I can't argue with that, or the rest of your post. :cool:

But, just as there are no set rules in the CLINIC (and I wasn't trying to impose any, just making a suggestion...), there are situations in life where there are no "rules" or "laws", but you would hope people use a little respect and "do unto others". There's no law that says I can't walk up to a stranger on the street and tell him to go fuck himself because he's a waste of space, but it's not very nice :D . In fact, the "law" would even be on my side, because if they punched me in the face, I could kik their ass in "self-defense", or have them arrested...or both. But it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

(that might have been the worst example I've ever given for ANYTHING...:eek: :eek: :eek: )

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must return to the Monastary.:eek:

[OT] My most contemporary stuff has "stripped" production value, as I've worked on 4- and 8-track exclusively to date, though in years and decades past I'd strive to bounce and beef up productions a bit. For at least 15 years I prefer to pack the tracks live during the take, rather than using track bouncing techniques. Track bouncing is for limited formats and analog guys, anyway.

However, I have no desire to record or hear a drum kit on 6 separate tracks, or 4 guitar tracks with stereo-everything, or stuff like that in general that's all a part of "bigger" production value like on 24-track format. I think 30+ tracks in production borders on the insane, but to each their own.

I pretty much stay away from effects or complex setups, and I'm not of the mind the e'thing needs compression or reverb, or DI+efx, like so many of the common trends of today's sound.

I'm admittedly out of step with the mainstream of ideas about today's "production value", but I like producing simpler stuff, like an honest performance or catching the moment. I listen to more 70's music than anything, and so go my tastes along those lines.

My limited musicianship has me based doing in simpler songs and productions, tho' with my production skills themselves I could produce "big", but I don't desire to hear overprodeced sounds anyway, so as with anything YMMV. My stuff sounds just like me playing music in the room, and isn't meant to be a staged persona or immaculate soundscape.:eek:;)

Actually, I think you just got us back on topic. All the rest of that shit before you was OT. :D

Dang, razor sharp mind there, RAMI!

In this context I staged [OT] as "original topic", so you get the point!:eek:;)

Nothing gets by you, man!:eek:;)

Dave's stuff, to me, is the very foundation of home-recording. He just jams and records it. Nothing fancy. He just does it and he likes it. I like hearing his stuff. It's honest. I try to do the same thing, while learning and using the technology available to me. I don't know how many tracks I can use in Reaper, but I bet it's a bunch, yet I only use what I need. There's not much room in my music for wild experimentation. I just recently started really trying to write my own stuff. My songs are 3 minute blasts - usually over 200 bpm. I don't feel stunted or inferior because I don't hang a mic out the window and record the cars going by. I do try to pack my simple drum/bass/guitar songs with as much power and fury as possible while still keeping it simple. I'm enjoying it and I'm happy with what I'm doing. My original stuff is honest and my recordings have improved a lot since I first got here, and I'm forever grateful to the people that listen and comment. I learn from the responses. I think that's what the clinic is about.

I could never find nitpicks in your mixes, RAMI, so it would get a bit boring if I just constantly berated you for being so perfect!

I agree, it's nice to comment on mixes if that's what floats your boat. Being psyched about this being a mixing "clinic" is fine and fun too, I bet. There's a free flow of information on the i'net, so I try to keep my focus a bit more broad. I don't usually nitpick mixes, though I have a substantive comment or two now and then. I don't find much value in mix crits, personally. With all the tech talk commensurate with this subject, it all seems too subjective to me. Give me specifics on my mixes if u want. My stuff's fair game as any. I may defend or justify it that it's how I wanted to hear it, and that's reality. My mixes sound how I want.

This subtopic comes up from time to time, and I always say the same thing, so that's it in a nutshell. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I'm not going anywhere either. I post my recordings from time to time, and I thank those people for taking time to listen.:eek:;)

Back