Where's the production value?

SOMETIMES IT'S RESTRAINT
Like using a synth line but only within the actual note range of the sampled instrument.
Like playing the instruments you can actually get a good sound out of so that it doesn't lessen the sum.
Like not having a deep understanding of multi instrument arrangement.
Like not wanting to create mud from all the overlapping frequencies.
Like knowing your limits.
Like not wanting to drown the song.
Like wow, wipeout!

SOMETIMES IT'S RESTRAINT
Like using a synth line but only within the actual note range of the sampled instrument.
Like playing the instruments you can actually get a good sound out of so that it doesn't lessen the sum.
Like not having a deep understanding of multi instrument arrangement.
Like not wanting to create mud from all the overlapping frequencies.
Like knowing your limits.
Like not wanting to drown the song.
Like wow, wipeout!

Yup. Nothing fucks up a song like too much unnecessary shit going on.

Anybody know where I can pick up a cheap sheep. Or a cricket, yeah, that's the ticket.:D

You'll just have to wait for Guitar Center's once a year "Farm Animal Extravaganza".
sheep.jpg

I've heard a lot of mixes over the course of my membership here on these forums, but people making songs seem to not add anything to the song except for the song itself, you know? There's nothing extra...

Thats what really makes a good song. Sure, simplistic stuff can get the point across and sometimes thats all thats necessary, but why aren't you guys going over the top?

I"m sure there's alot more going on. Remember you're likely only hearing one or two songs.. Not many of us post up entire albums where there may well be lots of other interesting things going on in between songs or where ever..

"people making songs seem to not add anything to the song except for the song itself"

I have a lot of amp hum in my last track...also, I think a beer bottle clinks in the background at one point...does that count?

"people making songs seem to not add anything to the song except for the song itself"

I have a lot of amp hum in my last track...also, I think a beer bottle clinks in the background at one point...does that count?

I think thats perfect :D

You guys are being a bit crappy. I know what he is talking about. The big 60s and 70s numbers, with all the effects and stuff. And newer recordings that have lonts of layers, like one that comes to mind that I thought was a bit cool was "are you happy now". This is only because of the drum part at the first. Sounded like a loop of some kind with the high end taken off. I know what he is getting at, and I agree. Though, in some cases, I have found after trying to do that to some of my recordings, being simple with the song is sometimes the best way to go. Some songs call for a huge big full sound, and some call for a guitar, and a voice. You just have to know which ones.

You guys are being a bit crappy.

No we're not being crappy. I've heard many HUGE productions here, by a lot of people, many of them regulars.

This thread was started by someone who was either in a shitty mood, or has a chip on his shoulder...Who, by the way, didn't take up XERIES challenge of posting one of his own "Great productions".

All the sarcasm is well deserved.

Credibility is something you earn. If you're going to start a thread like this, or support the position of the OP, put out or fuck off.

the line of over produced and under produced is a subjective one.

this thread makes objective statements.

i'm not saying 'some songs should have this and some should have that.'

i'm saying some people like this some people like that.

most people here would probably just say that they've got a 'developed ear', but let me reassure you, it's not.

I like scaled down mixes. I'm not into the whole Phil Spector cram as much into one song as you can vibe. Everything has it's place though. A 2 minute punk song doesn't need 10 layers of synths. That would suck ass. On the flip-side, a Floyd-ish type songs needs more than drums, bass, and a guitar. It just depends. To say that everything needs bigger production is retarded.

Assuming I understand his view correctly, I think the OP has a good point, if not eloquently stated. I started a thread a few weeks ago on volume automation & sound texturing/layering, which essentially made the same point: one of the big things that separates a "home" recording from a "pro" recording is layering of different textures and sounds. Now, like you guys said, much of the material posted on here is "guy with a guitar" singer/songwriter-type-stuff, which usually doesn't call for a million orchestra/synth/anything parts. On the other hand, I feel many of us (myself included) have been focusing so hard on closing the gap sonically between pro studios and home studios, that we may have lost sight of one of the things that made so many of our favorite albums so great: experimentation! Things like putting a keyboard through 30 effects boxes into a guitar amp set to 10, or 1, or whatever. tecording some outdoor ambience and throwing it behind a track to give it some "air"; just finding cool, previously unheard sounds and putting them into songs to create a sonic landscape.

These are things that most of us don't do (as far as I know), and I really feel that we're missing out on the very reason home recordings have an enormous advantage over million-dollar-budget studio productions: freedom. Freedom from label deadlines, freedom from worrying about making your money back, freedom from fan expectations, and for the majority of us: freedom from having to rely on a known formula to ensure financial compensation from millions of CD sales to the general public. If we don't strive to set our productions apart from everyone else's, we are in fact contributing to the general blanding of the music of this time period, just as bad as the millions of bands out there trying to exactly mimic their favorite bands to try to ride the coat-tails of their success, instead of forging out and trying to find their own sound. Sure, it's easy money, and for those of us relying on our studios to eat, it's sometimes a necessity to take it in the ass and record a bunch of talentless know-nothing 17 year olds with their parents' money and dreams of getting on a major record label. But keep an eye out for those few bands that want to find a new sound, or at least your own productions, and take a day or two to experiment with some crazy shit.

If nothing else, it'll take away from the monotony of editing incredibly shitty drum takes. And considering the amount of completely generation-lossless storage most of us have, keep the samples for another production months, or years from now. It's sort of similar to movie sound FX clips, where the bigger studios amass millions of sound clips to choose from for any particular event.

Anyway, that's what I think.

...one of the big things that separates a "home" recording from a "pro" recording is layering of different textures and sounds.
The arrangement should suit the piece of music, and you mentioned that in your following sentence. But density of the arrangement is not production value. How skillfully the arrangement is done and how well the sounds used fit the piece of music is a part of production value. In some instances, more layers may be better. In others not. A factor is that most home recordists struggle just to get a decent sound on the basics of vocals, guitars, drums... so spend a lot of their time focusing on that. Another factor is that many recordists are tracking home-studio versions of what their band does live and want to keep the arrangements that way. But yes, creativity-wise there is definitely too much formulaic thinking around.

...many of us ...have been focusing so hard on closing the gap sonically between pro studios and home studios, that we may have lost sight of one of the things that made so many of our favorite albums so great: experimentation! Things like putting a keyboard through 30 effects boxes into a guitar amp set to 10, or 1, or whatever. tecording some outdoor ambience and throwing it behind a track to give it some "air"; just finding cool, previously unheard sounds and putting them into songs to create a sonic landscape.
Agreed. Always good to experiment.

Back