Seek & Destroy - Greg takes Metallica surfing

Just plain excellent.
I imagine this would have been cool as live psychobilly - pity they had limited imaginations.
Superb bass tone, guiatr tone, drum tone, vocal tone & I love the whammy at the breakdown.
Surftallica, Metaverb, nha, Greg!
I don't think I could hear this song anyother way now.
I'm on the Metallica once gnarly but boring, then pretty but boring now just boring line.

I know how much you hate Metallica, so when I saw the thread title I'm like "WTF?"

Hahaha I love the Surf drum groove. So freaking awesome.

It would almost be funnier if your lead vocals was more surfer-esque, but what you did also kicks ass.

Nice job!
Haha, thanks. I don't entirely hate Metallica. I mean, their first 3 albums are pretty classic. I totally hate everything after "Justice" though, and as I learn more about their recording process (Lars doing his tracks piece by piece and splicing them together), I totally understand why they're so inconsistent live. I also kicked around the idea of doing "Jump in the Fire" surf style. :D

The vocals are just what they are. There isn't really any defining "surf vocal" sound as most surf music was instrumental. I did have them dripping with delay and reverb, but it sounded terrible, so I cleaned em up a little. Thanks for checking it out.

That sounds really good. The whole bass/drum region is really tight, and the guitars sound nicely drenched in tremelo and spring verb. Nice bite too.

I actually don't know the original :o (I've heard of it), but I can pretty much guess what it'd sound like.

You really put everything in the same space nicely here. Well done.
Thanks a lot heat. I'm not gonna pimp Metallica here, but this is one song of theirs you might wanna check out if you get a chance. It's not blazing fast or stupid heavy and it's one of their defining songs. I like a handful of their songs, and this is one of them.

Buwahahahahahahahaha!

Ok That is freakin AWESOME.

It's like some kind of fantastic alternate universe!
I think you have achieved something really amazing here dude.
Hats off.

You have done some good stuff - but this is my favorite for sure. Nice one man.

Best Metallica Cover Ever.
Lol. Wow, thanks a lot arcadeko. I hope they don't hear it or they'll surely sue me. :D

Great crunchy guitars, mix sounds right on, lots of ride cymbal:D

Nice work!

Thanks dude. Surf drums are all about the ride cymbal. Just stay on it and work the hats with your foot. :D

Timing is spot-on, man. Signature Greg sound all over it. Love it. Your creativity amazes me.
Thanks a lot PI. I've got a few originals percolating right now and finishing up my next album, so I like to do a few covers just keep the wheels moving.
Just plain excellent.
I imagine this would have been cool as live psychobilly - pity they had limited imaginations.
Superb bass tone, guiatr tone, drum tone, vocal tone & I love the whammy at the breakdown.
Surftallica, Metaverb, nha, Greg!
I don't think I could hear this song anyother way now.
I'm on the Metallica once gnarly but boring, then pretty but boring now just boring line.

Haha, thanks a lot Ray. You got anything new coming soon?

I never heard this song before so from now on I will always compare it to yours. It’s funny how that works. You hear a song and get so used to it that even that song by the same group done live say, just ain’t the same.

Everything sounds fine to me. I think you have your drums dialed in pretty well but personally for me the snare ain’t “old enough” for surf, if you know what I mean. Yours is nice and tight, and a bit too far back for me personally. I guess I listened to The Ventures too much. Or I could be talking out my ass.

haha, pretty good Greg :)
Thanks dude. :D

I never heard this song before so from now on I will always compare it to yours. It’s funny how that works. You hear a song and get so used to it that even that song by the same group done live say, just ain’t the same.

Everything sounds fine to me. I think you have your drums dialed in pretty well but personally for me the snare ain’t “old enough” for surf, if you know what I mean. Yours is nice and tight, and a bit too far back for me personally. I guess I listened to The Ventures too much. Or I could be talking out my ass.

Thanks for listening. I know what you mean about the snare. I listen to a lot of old surf music, and yeah, the drum sound isn't "period correct" at all. I didn't want it to sound like it was recorded in 1963 though. For the drums and bass, I just focused on surf-style playing, and not so much sound. I did the opposite with the guitars. I played them Metallica-correct, for the most part, but tried to go heavy on the sound with lots of reverb, trem, and not a humbucker anywhere to be found. The result is this clusterfuck. :D

This is freaking awesome... enough said. I definitely like it better than the original... including the mixing. I need to show this to a friend of mine, he's obsessed with Metallica. By the way, nice drums sound! I particularly liked the sound and positioning of the Toms, not too wide... very natural, but still very deep. Loved the solo section too!

Rock on/surf on!

I'm not a huge Metallica fan(so i've never heard the song), but I absolutely love surf music. And you've definitely done justice to the genre. Everything sounds the way it should, the playing is great, and production is as usual wonderful. I love the start stop little guitar solo. The only thing I would want to change is maybe the ride. Surf music is usually about the big washy ride, yours isn't that present. Ofcourse, that's just a matter of taste. Overall, good shit!

Last edited:
LMAO!:laughings: Then my jaw hit my knees! :eek: That is seriously good brutha! Please tell me you had to work hard on this, cuz I'm really gonna hate you if say it was a breeze. You have got to find a way for Metallica to hear that - I think they would dig it. Well done.
:cool:

Even when Metallica was good, they were never this good. My mind has been blown.
Haha, thanks man. :)

This is freaking awesome... enough said. I definitely like it better than the original... including the mixing. I need to show this to a friend of mine, he's obsessed with Metallica. By the way, nice drums sound! I particularly liked the sound and positioning of the Toms, not too wide... very natural, but still very deep. Loved the solo section too!

Rock on/surf on!
Thanks a lot dude. :)

Lol I bet Andy Rehfeldt would get a laugh outta this.

I don't know who that is, but thanks for checking it out.

I'm not a huge Metallica fan(so i've never heard the song), but I absolutely love surf music. And you've definitely done justice to the genre. Everything sounds the way it should, the playing is great, and production is as usual wonderful. I love the start stop little guitar solo. The only thing I would want to change is maybe the ride. Surf music is usually about the big washy ride, yours isn't that present. Ofcourse, that's just a matter of taste. Overall, good shit!
Thanks for checking it out. :)

This... is... badass...
Thanks. :)

LMAO!:laughings: Then my jaw hit my knees! :eek: That is seriously good brutha! Please tell me you had to work hard on this, cuz I'm really gonna hate you if say it was a breeze. You have got to find a way for Metallica to hear that - I think they would dig it. Well done.
:cool:
Lol. It was pretty easy. Sorry. I didn't really take it in any new direction or anything. The arrangement is pretty much spot on to the original. I just played it with surfy guitar tones and simplified the lead and drums. Not much to it. Thanks for listening. :D

I also thought "Cramps" when I heard it the first time.

Great idea for a cover. The riff suggests the format, well done.

Mix sounds good to my ears. I like this much better than the original.

Great job man :-) nailed it I'd say for what you were going for. An appropriate title..... "Surf and Destroy" lol
Thanks a lot. :)

I also thought "Cramps" when I heard it the first time.

Great idea for a cover. The riff suggests the format, well done.

Mix sounds good to my ears. I like this much better than the original.

Cool. Thanks Creep. :D

A Cramps comparo is always good. One of my favorite bands. RIP Lux.

Back