Sad Lisa - Cat Steven's cover

I'm no fan of the man then or now but he did sort out some nice chords and picking.
You've done a nice job & V2 is bettererererer.
Nice guitars by the way!

Way nicer man. I really enjoyed that.

Are you hitting it with a de-esser, or is your MB just bringing down those higher frequencies?
The messes sound a bit unnaturally squashed to me. Other than that, very nice!

The harmonies are particularly nice. Those aren't in the original, right?
I've a great ear for harmony but would never have come up with those particular lines.

I'm no fan of the man then or now but he did sort out some nice chords and picking.
You've done a nice job & V2 is bettererererer.
Nice guitars by the way!

Thanks ray....my sister had the album and the songs on it just became part of life. I bought a few other albums of his but Tea for the Tillerman was his best imo.

Last edited:
Way nicer man. I really enjoyed that.

Are you hitting it with a de-esser, or is your MB just bringing down those higher frequencies?
The messes sound a bit unnaturally squashed to me. Other than that, very nice!

Thank you. No...no de-esser...and the multi-band is only on the lead guitar.

In fact...I added about 5 db of 4500hz shelving on the lead vocal to add air to it. Could be the pre-amp...but this is basically the first thing I've done in years after rebuilding my studio. I still have to stuff dial in... I'm sure.

The harmonies are particularly nice. Those aren't in the original, right?
I've a great ear for harmony but would never have come up with those particular lines.

Thanks. No...there are no vocal harmonies in the original of any kind. I like to compose...so this a perfect song to sing vocal harmonies to which is what I always do when listening to the album. On that front there are a few things I could have worked out better but on the whole I was pretty satisfied with it.

I thought the playing and singing were really good. Pretty harmonies.

The guitars are just sooooo clean. To me, they need just a little more gain dialed in. They also bite a bit in the high midrange - like 2500hz.

I'd like it a bit dryer.

Hi, Stu. If this is Cat Steven's cover, where's yours? (Captain Pedant strikes again!!) :D

Just kidding :D- how did you record this? Are the vocals and guitars on separate tracks? The vocal sound (not the singing) lets this down a bit. It almost sounds like you've had a high-pass filter at about 400Hz and a low pass one at about 4k. There's no warmth low down and no "air" up top. The playing and singing is lovely.

I thought the playing and singing were really good. Pretty harmonies.

Thanks Trip...I had it in my head to do a vocal harmony cover of this one for years...finally got to it.

The guitars are just sooooo clean. To me, they need just a little more gain dialed in. They also bite a bit in the high midrange - like 2500hz.

I don't disagree. It's just that I'm trying to produce a few tracks that I can point to that highlight the basic tone of each kind of guitar I make. Adding distortion wrecks that plan on this tune. I'll be moving away from that tone on subsequent songs.

Just kidding :D- how did you record this? Are the vocals and guitars on separate tracks?

Yes...these are all isolated tracks.

The vocal sound (not the singing) lets this down a bit. It almost sounds like you've had a high-pass filter at about 400Hz and a low pass one at about 4k. There's no warmth low down and no "air" up top. The playing and singing is lovely.

I suppose it could be the mic pre-amp. It's been quite a while since I've dialed this stuff in. I'll mess with it some more and bump more the lo-mids and 4500 shelving. Maybe I should hit it much harder there than I already did....but if I can't fix this with EQ it's over....I'm probably not going to retrack the vocals on this.

For this mix I seriously bumped the lo-mids and the highs to try to attack the boxiness that people mentioned. I hope I didn't go too far. I hit it pretty hard. The bg vocs came down a little and I tried to warm up the main guitar track.

You didn't leave the original up, so I couldn't' compare. The lead vocal still has what I would describe as semi-boxy-semi-muffled sound. Could be the overall EQ on the vocal - like you scooped the good stuff and left the boxy frequencies. Or it could be compression doing it, I suppose.

Back