Catherine Wheel

Bulls Hit

Hi guys. I've had this kickin round for a month or so just gestating, & have just done a remix. Any thoughts on the balance, levels etc.or anything at all would be great...

Sudden start! Good.
The effect on the drums is a little much for the 1st couple of bars but then it fits under the song well.
The bass is fighting for space against the drums - you might need to notch one or the other.
What no tuppeny and double bungers?
It's a good song, however I can't help wondering what it'd sound like sung.
I like the deadpan patter delivery & can't imagine some overwrought screamer doing it justice - just a wondering!

You always come up with the coolest guitar sounds for your songs. For some reason the vocals remind me of the Beatles - not sure why - maybe it's the different effects. I can hear what Ray says about the bass/kik. There's not much bass definition althought there's lots of punch in the bottom end. Cool tune....:cool::D:cool::D

I would stick a couple seconds silence at the start :)

Sounds great to me. I like the guitar tone. The drum work is really cool. Guitar solos are great.

I think the definition on the synth could be improved a bit by making the bass less muddy.

The vocals are really cool. Its a kind of mix between a Liverpool and American accept. I'm probably completely wrong with that, but it works well.

Good Job.

Love this one! Drums sound cool...great bizarro guitar riffs. Would love to hear the bass come forward a bit at times and thought the synth competed too much with the vocals at others, but otherwise the vocals are nicely processed and very articulate. Really just pretty kick ass as far as having a high energy rhythm section going. Nice.

rayc - Yeah good call on the bass. I think it was fighting with everything, not just the kick. I've given it a bit of a serve, hopefully not overdone it and put up a new version.

It's a good song, however I can't help wondering what it'd sound like sung.

Lol, I can't get it any more sung than that. I've tried the rock screamer approach but I can't pull it off. And what the hell is a double bunger anyway? :D
Thanks for spotting the bass thing. Cheers Ray

ido1957 - Hopefully the new remix address the bass issues. Thanks for the comments ido

Waffleness - Yeah I had a bit of a go at the synths with some low cuts to try and get more clarity down below. Heh the accent thing is wierd - I don't usually hear accents when people sing, apart from the Proclaimers. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them

heatmiser - Hey thanks! I agree with your summation re the synths & bass, and I've tried to address them in the new mix. Cheers man, great to get the feedback

A tuppeny bunger was a BIG cracker & a double was twice that.
Why bunger? I think if you bunged it in anything (letter box, bullant hill, funnelweb hole - ah, you see being a kid in Australia in the 60's meant freedom from guilt when it came to DESTRUCTION!), it bunged it up good and proper.
Same link for the remix?

Wow, this is really cool wierd stuff, I love it!
Love the vocals, what accent is that, Bull?
And I really dig the grunting bass sound, paired with the synths. Guitars sound really good too, just the right kind of distortion for this song. Well done, great job! ;):)

Joe :):)

Your music/style is always instantly recognizable to me...you know I really dig it! Guitars sound great love that gnarley riff...wah sounds killer as well...
Love the line:"she opened her mouth, a dark light poured out":p
No nits here just diggin' it man!

rayc - Ah right. The bunger sounds similar to our Thunder which were about twice the size of double happys. Can't get 'em anymore, made them illegal. Yeah the remix is in the same spot. Cheers man

joeym - The accent is from down here in NZ, a little island off the coast of Tasmania :D Thanks for the comments Joe

queepy - Glad you liked it queeps. Thanks man

This is a pretty good mix and some interesting sounds. Maybe could use a hint more bass, but just barely. Vocals sound very cool. Very unique song. Good job.

Liking it a bit :D Your style is a little reminiscent of Dog Fashion Disco, but much more into the awesome guitar effects sounds and synth stuff.

Cool tune man.....really big sounds. I like it much....no advice from me, I just stoppped in for a listen....:D

Greg_L - There are a couple of spots where the bass could come through, but if I touch it now I'll just overdo it. Thanks for the listen Greg

Solaris79 - Well I've never heard Dog Fashion Disco, but I'll take it. Thanks Solaris

EdWonbass - Yeah the mix is a lot better for posting it here. Cheers man

Dogman - Thanks for stopping by Ed. Glad you liked it!

BushmasterM4 - Good on you man, thanks

Following Greg's comment, K ... I had to listen ... for I couldn't believe anything you'd done didn't have a low end that pops my enclosed earphones off my head.

But he's right ...

It almost sounds like a poor conversion ... like the low end SHOULD be there, but it's been thinned.

This needs to have some creamy goodness added back into to it ... for this version is a bit "nasal" ... like the mix is holding it's nose.

Unusual ... for I'd heard this before and it didn't strike me as such then.

Kev-

Second time through ... to try to better pinpoint.

There's a combination of factors, IMO ... that lend the sound its nasal appearance.

-The mild distorted telephony sort effect you employed on the lead vocal is slightly nasal on its own.
-There's a hard bite in the upper mid area of the guitars that's poking hard, over emphasizing that upper harsh region (a "cold" area versus "warm" area region that just needs a little softening).
-The kick sound you utilized has a lot of cool flab, but not a lot of warm low ooomph ... (unless you've highpassed that region hard on it for clarity)

... all sort of contributing to a sense that the overall sound hasn't a lot of warmth to it.

Truly, normally the low end pumps hard when I listen to your mixes ... and this one is distinctly different from the norm.

Also ... did I tell you before that your vocal reminds me of Beck on this?

Kev-

Back