Monitors or Cans?

$1-2000 range stated above. I don't even have income

dude i didnt really mean to say that it is that pricy. well i did. but the main thing i was trying to get across is every situation is different. and that 1-2000 range thing includes everything in between. like the clown guy said. but nice headphones get me across pretty well for only 170$. and dont require any room treatment.

And i like my KRKs for mixing with, but im not finding them very pleasing when it comes to just listening to music. which i would sort of expect head phones that expensive to be good at. lol

I mixed on cans for all of 5 days. Ignoring the fact that all my mixes when played through speakers sounded tinny as fuck, I found that mixing basically involved listening to the tune in my friend's car, and taking notes, and going home and making adjustments, and then doing that over and over until it sounded right, which it never did that way, because it's a stupid way to do things, and I got bored and went out the following weekend and bought some monitors.

dude i didnt really mean to say that it is that pricy. well i did. but the main thing i was trying to get across is every situation is different. and that 1-2000 range thing includes everything in between. like the clown guy said. but nice headphones get me across pretty well for only 170$. and dont require any room treatment.

And i like my KRKs for mixing with, but im not finding them very pleasing when it comes to just listening to music. which i would sort of expect head phones that expensive to be good at. lol

i mix in the wrong end of a small corridor with KRKs and headphones and no room treatment, pretty successfully for my level of experience, because Im beginning to really know how to use the tools and how to listen...room treatment wont accelerate this experience, it will just help me mix quicker

Im not arguing with you, Im just saying that you can have fun on PC speakers and some interface of C'list and it will get you starting to understand the process and tools..

Ive heard some mixes in here from folks that Im sure have drop a wad on gear etc and it sounds pretty bad sometimes..who cares when they enjoy recording..but i think they enjoy having a "studio" more

kcearl, i am really not trying to make it seem like i am arguing with you. ha. my experience level is three years of recording my friends high school bands on garageband in my room. until i got logic and now im on here. not trying to argue with you either. although i dont enjoy clowns in the least.

and like i just said. i learned most of what i know from recording me and my friends with a lexicon interface, and garageband. so i agree about not needing much to learn the bells and whistles. nobody should buy a studio just to learn how to record. thats backwards. in my opinion. you start out on a squire bullet and maybe decide to buy the Hell Raiser after you have learned.

totly

an clowns are evil fuckers..I dont like them either..I only have that as an avatar as my introduction to HR.com was a long time member called Darrin asking "who the fuck is this clown mofo?" during a spirited conversation lol

I switch between two sets of monitors to check for HF and LF issues respectively.

Nothing beats a disc for some real world listening, though.

*Sigh* My heart sunk after reading this...I've been using headphones for years, and going out of my mind trying to figure out why it sounds awesome when I mix it, but take it out in the car or on my ipod and I start second guessing it.

...being a member of this forum is going to become expensive, I can just feel it.

What's my best bet for the cheapest monitors I can get that will serve me well? What's best brand? I know it's subjective but some people will have used multiple brands and see ups and downs of each.

Well I'm bummed. I have nice Audio Technica ATH-M30 monitor headphones, and I love them but four posts into this forum, I was convinced I'll have an easier time if I do this. Glad to be on this site, been messing around recording for a lot of years and couldn't find many people to discuss this with and my wife seems a bit tired of hearing about audio software I ramble about, and how cool addictive drums is...

i use ATH-40fs...great cans for the price..I use them loads when mixing...its like everything when folks start talking absolutes they are generally wrong imho

Cans are great for getting into detail and help taking a poor room out the equation...I reckon most of the sub $500 monitor are like for like..I have KRKs, had Behringers before that...no real grumbles on either...still the mix isnt finished until it sounds good everywhere..just the more you invest the less time you have to spend going back and forth

my next place will be treated, but I can still bang out a half decent mix until then...so dont dismay :)

What's my best bet for the cheapest monitors I can get that will serve me well?
Never approach your monitoring from the "what can I get away with" side. The absolute most important purchase you will ever make, without question, nothing else comes even close, period. If you have to save up for an extra year, do it. If you have to sell most of what you have and just "listen" for the next year, do it (actually, that'll pay off big).

I know more people who went the "cheap" route and regretted it almost immediately - and for a long time to come - than I care to count. NOTHING is more vital to your success (or more responsible for failure) than the quality, accuracy and consistency of your monitors. Every single sonic decision you will ever make is based on how your monitoring (and of course, the room they're in) translates to your brain.

Reactions: XLR
Back