Almost Said F-it Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
An extension of my thread https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ting-opinions-mic-placement-jazz-trio-319869/

So, the guy who is "producing" this little thing has been dealing with some frustrating work stuff (he's a house builder- get the picture?) and it's turned him into something (more) of a control freak. This, and other, concerts are being put on by the fund-raising committee at my little UU church, and he's become the FR committee chair. Weeks ago, he announced (more like "declared") that the concerts have all been scheduled and acts booked, etc. etc. I told him then I was happy to run sound for them. The guitarist in the jazz trio asked me to do it for this one, and I said yes, and then promptly forgot who had actually asked me.

Last night, the guitarist asked me again if I was going to run sound, and I told him yes, again, and that I hoped to record the concert, if it was alright with him and the other performers. He said he was sure it would be fine.

So, I headed over there about 4 pm, and the trio is rehearsing. Producer Man is there, too, but I really didn't think too much of it- I'm there to do my job, I neither need any help nor expect any interference. Two mics have been set, run direct to the little PA system- no way to control them from the somewhat bigger board in the rear of the room. I'm bring in gear, cleaning my work area, setting a few things, and some feedback develops from the bassist's rig, an acoustic/electric bass guitar and amp. He's apparently had trouble already with that, and is wondering out loud what to do about it, and that maybe he should play his upright. I told him I can take care of that- bring the upright and we can mic it (turns out he has a pickup on it) and I can control feedback from the board. He's happy. The other two musicians are happy. Producer Man is... well, I have no idea if he's happy or not, nor am I paying much attention to his mood.

I then unplug one of the two set mics- it's way over on the other side of the dais, nobody anywhere near it- intending to run it through the big board. P-Man asks why I unplugged it, and I said because it was not being used and I need to run it through the big board, and he starts to get pissed at me. His query turns sharp, so I say, "So, plug it back in." This really pisses him off, and he starts into a diatribe about how I am complicating the whole thing, it was fine like it was, what I am doing WILL cause problems, yada yada yada. I tell him, a bit flip I guess, that I have 36 hours to fix any problems that come up, and now he gets REALLY mad. "No, you don't," he says, "You got until 9pm tonight to get ANY problems fixed," and then he says we need to talk. Outside we go, and he lights into me like flies on shit. He's pissed about what I said inside, pissed about how I said it, pissed because I am fucking everything up, pissed about the very fact that I draw breath, apparently. I realized that what I said was rather incendiary, and I start my reply by saying that I am sorry I came on strong about that, that I should have known better because somebody at the church did the same thing to me just a few days ago, and I should have expected that my reaction (which was almost, word for word, the same as hers was, then) would have resulted in the same results, etc. He didn't even HEAR me, nevermind LISTEN. I try to tell him the live rig will be set first, and I will only set the recording rig as time permits, but he's not listening to a damn word I say- and then we are off to the races. He's saying he doesn't trust me (WTF??), how we had problems every time I ever did anything with sound there (to which I remind him of just SOME of the times everything went smooth as silk- and he says "A fucking bluegrass band, so fuckin' what?") and demanding that I get the live-sound ready to go, and if I don't, he's gonna rip it all out and they will go all acoustic. I try my best to tell him I will get it done, in plenty of time, but he's just not listening to a single, damn word I am saying- he just repeats his demands. Finally, I have enough verbal abuse, and I tell him I am WELL going to do it the way it needs to be done, and if he does not like it, I will stand back and let him do whatever the fuck he wants to with it.

Now, I am pissed, too. I walk to my car to get whatever it was I came outside to get, and when I get there I realize I didn't need ANYTHING out of my car- I came outside to receive the honor of him ragging on me.

As I am headed back to the door, the minister is standing nearby, and he has heard the whole thing. I am so frustrated I vent in his direction, throwing a "fuck" AND a "God Damn" in, just for good measure. The minister ask me if I would be okay with meeting with him and P-Man to try to come to some resolution, and I say yes.

That meeting actually goes rather well. I get my apology spoken (although I frankly don't think he listened any better,) and P-man and I come to some sort of understanding- basically that he wants the live sound to be ready on time, and I tell him I will do that. (DUH!) Oh, when he says he wants the rig to need no hands-on re-sets during the show, I tell him that's no problem, that I will set an extra mic so that IF anything goes wrong with the two, there is an extra. For some stupid-ass reason (not his idea, I guess) he fucking HATES that idea. Yeah, right, whatever.

So, I did my job, got the live sound rig set and adjusted, set the recording rig, etc. It's a thing of beauty in it's direct, simple effectiveness, if I may say so, myself- nothing out of the ordinary, almost everyone here would not even notice. Just what I would have done if I had not had to put up with his outrageous bull shit.

I haven't decided if I will A) mix a CD for the members of the band, and say fuck his god-damn fund raising committee- if he makes copies of the CD he can expect a HUGE bill from me, or B) present him with a master CD, telling him he is welcome to make copies to sell- spoken with honey fucking dripping from my voice.

I am getting fed up with the crap that goes on there, anyway- P-man was on the leadership development committee that allowed the previous treasurer to serve way past the term limit prescribed in the by-laws, and then huranged my GF into taking the post (it's driven her crazy, she put the LDC on notice that she will NOT be serving another term.) Oh, term limits apply to the LDC, too, but the same egos that fucked that up royally are still there. Committee chairs hand-pick who they want on their committee, giving lip-service to the open-committee policy and then find back-door ways to drive others out. I send an email to the vice-president of the board, requesting an AV committee be developed, complete with full justification and core staff- AND a clear statement that others are welcome to help, and it took a full MONTH and three reminders before she got back to me.

Like I said, I almost said "Fuck It," tonight.

So is this church politics? Sounds like a dysfunctional hellhole if it is. If the experience isn't uplifting, why do you go there?

OK Steve. I did read it all and a volunteer position like that should never take any poop from whom ever. Seems to me that you should talk it over with your girl friend and find a new place of worship and a place that will really appreciate your skilled ability!

You should have left P-man to his own devices and let him fall flat on his face.

Seems to me that you should talk it over with your girl friend and find a new place of worship and a place that will really appreciate your skilled ability!

Indeed. I once visited a church where some guy in a leadership position got up and chewed the congregation out for not filling volunteer positions. An awkward, stony silence ensued. I never went there again.

I have installed about a dozen if not more sound systems in churches around my area and every single one of them want me to attend and run the system for them for it's always a volunteer who with great intentions runs the system but it's always a work in progress for them.
I always have to say that I attend my own church services and can't make it but will teach on off nights whoever wants to learn.
Even at my church I don't run the sound I leave it up to a volunteer who can make it every week for a lot of times I myself am out on the road. Believe me though there are many times I feel like getting up to make adjustments but I let it go. We don't even have a praise band! Just piano, organ ,choir, and pulpit mic.

I would call the Dr. Phil show or Jerry Springer. :D

When you get that much drama from a studio/band/audio gig...you walk away from it and find a new gig.

But it's really funny how much drama occurs with church gigs (where there's no $$$ involved).
I've heard this kind of shit from other guys about their church gigs...and all the little BS and politics that go on. :laughings:

I would call the Dr. Phil show or Jerry Springer. :D

When you get that much drama from a studio/band/audio gig...you walk away from it and find a new gig.

But it's really funny how much drama occurs with church gigs (where there's no $$$ involved).
I've heard this kind of shit from other guys about their church gigs...and all the little BS and politics that go on. :laughings:

God always loved you best Miro

It's pretty common in churches. Not just with musical gigs, but in general. In every church there are a handful of people who, given a position of petty authority, get an inflated sense of their own importance and become insufferable assholes.

It's pretty common in churches. Not just with musical gigs, but in general. In every church there are a handful of people who, given a position of petty authority, get an inflated sense of their own importance and become insufferable assholes.

Demigods!!

I'm still struggling with the concept that churches have sound systems and musicians and bands and stuff...

Such a different world over there..

I'm still struggling with the concept that churches have sound systems and musicians and bands and stuff...

Such a different world over there..

My church is very bible oriented so we are lucky to have a piano and an organ to sing hymns to.
But a lot of churches have praise bands that requires a console no smaller than 32 inputs and at times that isn't even enough!

Now, I am pissed, too. I walk to my car to get whatever it was I came outside to get, and when I get there I realize I didn't need ANYTHING out of my car- I came outside to receive the honor of him ragging on me.

Yep, I've been there before too. At my church (I've been running sound there since I was 12 lol...long story) the choir director likes to butt heads with me a lot! He recently decided to install a separate pair of stage monitors connected to a toggle switch (that he controls), so that only one pair (old or new) can be on at a time. He likes to flick this switch about 3-4 times every service, and thanks to his horrible positioning skills, it's an easy feedback trap to fall into it.

This man speaks the truth! I find it a lot in "older" churches, but even some churches geared towards people my age contain stuff like this too, though not as commonly.

A lot of churches have this problem because most of the people that do the sound are self taught. I've seen people with degrees in audio technology come into my church and some of our "sound technicians" (self appointed, mind you) tell the guy he's doing things wrong. Then they show him what to do and it sounds awful. If I were you (especially as a volunteer, which it sounds like you're doing) I'd tell them to do whatever they wanted, and that I was heading out to a new church. Despite my faith, I fully agree churches are terrible places and it gives the pastors and other people in leadership positions a sense of superiority.

Lol @ bloated Church. Didnt JC say to pray on your bedroom floor ?

Yeah, basically! He said to go into your room and shut the door! Kudos!

The thing is that the church of today is so different than the church of the New Testament. It has evolved in many ways, and not all of them are good. One of the bad ones being that some that hold important positions in the church sometimes forget about their true purpose and why they do what they do. Instead, they become control freaks!

Yeah, basically! He said to go into your room and shut the door! Kudos!

The thing is that the church of today is so different than the church of the New Testament. It has evolved in many ways, and not all of them are good. One of the bad ones being that some that hold important positions in the church sometimes forget about their true purpose and why they do what they do. Instead, they become control freaks!

I sometimes think it's why they wanted that position in the first place.

Holy crap dude. Summary please.
someone was a dick to steve and he let them get away with it.
I can say flat out that I would have told him to suck my dick and would have immediately carted all my shit out of there.

I sometimes think it's why they wanted that position in the first place.

Well, I've seen both ways! People who grew corrupt and people like you describe!

Someone should start a topic about church soundmen so we can find out who each other are and maybe form a support group :laughings:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back