Almost Said F-it Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've seen both ways! People who grew corrupt and people like you describe!

Someone should start a topic about church soundmen so we can find out who each other are and maybe form a support group :laughings:

Not a laughing matter ... well maybe the support group part, but I've known of at least a half a bakers dozen here at HR.
Wouldn't hurt to exchange ideas in that aspect!

I agree. Power does NOT corrupt it just amplifies any pre-existing trait. The corrupt are drawn to positions of power.

Armistice said he is unfamiliar with praise bands in church in OZ have you experienced any in your part of OZ?

Seems like that is an untapped resource then.
I remember when it started here and I thought now this is a strange thing to be going on in a church, then the next thing one knew it turns into a multi gazillion dollar enterprise.

Not a laughing matter ... well maybe the support group part, but I've known of at least a half a bakers dozen here at HR.
Wouldn't hurt to exchange ideas in that aspect!

Somehow I think the only thing we'd end up doing is swapping stories like stevieb's!! :)

Seems like that is an untapped resource then.
I remember when it started here and I thought now this is a strange thing to be going on in a church, then the next thing one knew it turns into a multi gazillion dollar enterprise.

Good luck man, we are not as stupid as you lot. :)

I taught the post was, almost said fit tonight and I was confused and curious :S but hell interesting story :) and this is post number 50 for me :D

An extension of my thread https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ting-opinions-mic-placement-jazz-trio-319869/... I am so frustrated I vent in his direction, throwing a "fuck" AND a "God Damn" in, just for good measure... .
The music ministry is the devil's workshop. The devil works the hardist on those closest to the altar, his biggest challenges. To survive this you need to stop judging these people. When you compare someone to God, we all fall short (cept for maybe Glen);).

Just work your way around the showstoppers. It's never going to be easy but that's why they call it sacrifice.

Glen, J/K buddy where'd ya go? Change your meds or sumptin and get back here. We miss ya!

I can relate to this since I am currently the worship leader at my church, so I sorta feel obligated to chime in.
stevieb - you get props from me for continuing in your task after being treated that way. however, if i were the minister of that church, both of you guys would have been removed from that project because of language and attitude.
church politics/power struggles are just a fact of life unfortunately. and it's not limited to churches. any group/club/organization is the exact same way.
our sound guy is very technical/detail-oriented, he's got the owner's manuals for our equipment memorized, but he doesn't have a musical ear. he tends to run the sound system strictly based on meters and numbers. but he actually does a really great job considering the fact that he's not a musician and the poor placement of our sound board. and i appreciate the fact that he's willing to listen to my advice and suggestions.
our small church has both choir/piano/hymns and also a praise band. we try to work both styles in together to provide a well-rounded feel for both younger and older folks.
for those of you from Australia, i am very surprised to see only one of you mention Hillsong Ministries. (By the way, "television church" has a certain negative connotation for Americans, not sure if it's the same way in Aus.) But Hillsong is a massive, worldwide music ministry. They are wildly popular right now and growing. They have released music in Spanish and there is a Hillsong London now and I believe others, as well.

anyway, stevieb, i would recommend that you just give a master copy to the "producer" and let him do what he wants with it and then not work with him again in the future, unless he can agree to play nicely.

Interesting summation, Lt. Bob.

Thanks for the support, everyone. Yes, I am a volunteer, and yes, I am largely self-taught. But I am certainly not going to push back on a seasoned pro- we have a new member who is a sound tech for Turner Broadcasting, and I asked him to serve on the AV committee precisely because of his skill and experience. If he says there is a better way to do something, you can bet we will listen.

Thanks, again. Seeing 32 responses in the last ten hours was heartening, for sure.

I like to boil things down to the basics.
:D

I can guarantee you that, had it been me, he'd have been following me to the truck apologizing all the way.

Bob, [no stupid the OP was Steve!]

Stevie - it seems to me that this guy is going to be a thorn in your side no matter what happens. If it were me, I would wait until all the dust settles and there are are no music demands on the immediate horizon with the church, and then have a talk with the minister. Do not waste time talking with this controller dude.

I'd tell the minister something like this: "As much as I enjoy donating my time, equipment and expertise to the church and view it as part of my own personal ministry, I really do not have time or patience to be subjected to interference or personal abuse from anyone. Life is too short to waste it enabling needy behavior. So after some thought and with respect, I've concluded that it would be better for me to take a hiatus from these projects for the time being. Perhaps I can be available in the future, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it."

And let them bloody well hang and dangle for six months. You can do it with a smile and you've left open the door to come back on your terms. The others will fry this dude in engine oil and you need not utter a single cross word.

Last edited:
Yeah Steve...Props to you for not blasting that dude in the head.
I'd have packed my stuff back up and left him to deal with it. Dude sounds like ego run amok.
Hope ya get it worked out in whatever way is best for you. ;)

yes I bet thats what would happen lol

nice one

Yeah, we're trying to have a big boy conversation here, so go back to the Cave. :)

Just work your way around the showstoppers. It's never going to be easy but that's why they call it sacrifice.

+1 and an amen to that.

church politics/power struggles are just a fact of life unfortunately. and it's not limited to churches. any group/club/organization is the exact same way.

Yes, that's true. I think why a lot of us struggle with it though is because you don't expect to see things like that go on in church, so when it does keep occurring, it becomes frustrating very quickly (more so than usual).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back