What is Mastering?

kay_e

As far as Mastering, is that just finishing touches? is it needed? do u master just the vocals or is it all done at once? Is there a Mastering software i can use?

What is google? What is the search function?

Are they just tools to explore what's out there? are they helpful? do u google a broad topic and then try to refine the search? Is there a website that will do this searching for me?

people should stop answering stupid stuff, seriously the kid needs help about mastering, and if he's asking on a specific website such as homerecording it's probably because google wasn't helpful enough.

Seriously though let me Google that for you..

When you've read a few of those, come back and ask again. Don't expect people to type it all out for you.

If you don't like the response, then 'fess up to being a newbie and post in the Newbie forum...

people should stop answering stupid stuff, seriously the kid needs help about mastering, and if he's asking on a specific website such as homerecording it's probably because google wasn't helpful enough.

Seriously?

Okay. I type google.com into my browser and type mastering in google search box and press enter.

Lo and behold, the first listing that came up for me is Audio mastering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the OP has read that, and has a more refined question about mastering, I would be glad to take it seriously and try to help.

There is a search box on homerecording.com on the top right of the web page. There is a wealth of information on this site...there are gold nuggets out there.

Go find them for your situation.

They are out there.

But you have to spend 5, or 10, or 60 minutes of your own time, doing your own research....that would be the polite thing....instead of wanting to be spoon fed.

What is it with this new entitlement generation? :p

I am trying to teach self reliance, in addition to home recording. :laughings:

Anyways....Kay....read the wiki....let us know if you have any more detailed questions after that.

:)

kthxbai

Mastering is the creation of the production master. It's where the "last process in the production stage" and the "first process of the replication stage" come together.

And I have a feeling this is going to be a long thread...

It always rains in London.
But not always at the same time ! :p

By the way~ee, kay_e, some of the links given and the information that came up under Armistice's "Google" magic are absolutely fantastic, it's like a crash course in understanding mastering.
There is, however, only one true master.

Hey, I'm glad the OP came here to ask that question. So many people get it wrong and at least he had the notion to know he didn't understand it. How many times have we seen people ask, "How do I master my vocals before mixing them to my beats?" or "Yo, what microphone is best to master my vocals for under $50?"

Mastering is the phase of music production where you assemble your songs into one album, make them sound cohesive, then get the album ready for mass production.

My basic definition...

1)Listening for obvious sonic defects (clicks, pops, hums, glitches, bad edits)
2)Make pre master disk/files with tasteful fades, level balances and making it error free.
3)Use eq and dynamics to allow the music to scale/translate to all repro systems as well as possible.
4)Listen and implement clients taste requirements into the final product whilst following the above.
5)Use eq and dynamics to enhance musical message.

cheers

Barry Gardner

co-ckheads

this is for the hillarious ass holes that took the piss out of he girl askin this question n yeah u prob know who u r (answered with stuff like er wot is google wot wot is the weather like tomorro) what a set of f uckin a holes u really are u say stupid sh-it like do u expect us to type it all up for u? no jus a few tips would of sufficed is that not the purpose of a forum u cocks u say u dont wanna spend the time typing the answer no but u will spend ya time talkin the piss u cockheads

oh in i bet ya music is wank lmao :D

You can bet our music is wank but we know your English is. I'll bet if another braincell died you'd lack the mental capacity to continue breathing. Do you think you are the only troll to ever come up with the idea of making a new account to blast people so that your other account don't get banned?

Back