Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions about Mastering

Now I am asking for service I need a mastering engr for my mixes. I need prices per song, album ect. completion duration

I have to disagree with this statement,
bad mix can not and should not be addressed at mastering stage,
simply if mix is bad, it should be re-mixed,
even if it's great mastering guy, 'cockup' made during mixing can't be re-done during mastering
although someone with great skills could try to minimize problems within the mix, but this is reanimation process, not mastering
Bad mix good mastering can fix, but I have seen cases where bad mixing/recording and the mastering engr couldnt work with it. Im with Tom all the way "IF YOUR SERIOUS BOUT YOUR MUSIC GET A PRO INVOLVED" best ignored advice on the planet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just bought Wavelab Elements and need somewhere to start, there being no manual. I imagine this will come in handy. =D

Steinberg didn't make one for Wavelab 7! Check out their forums; there's alot of fuss about it. I bet they won't do that again! :mad:

One question I've been wondering that doesn't really come up (or didn't at a quick glance); how "hot' should a mix be when it's sent in for mastering? Obviously you don't want it clipping, and I've been told it's a good idea to leave at least 6db or so of unused headroom for the ME to work with, but given the preference where would you mastering guys want a mix to peak? -6db? -12? Does it even really matter, as long as it's below 0?

I like to see files at -3db, if it's a highly compressed mix, -6db can be better sometimes. So long as it's not clipping and above say -12, everything is good to go.

New to this: i.e., forums... Not new to music. Just built a studio to accomidate our group's need for more space... now I am mastering our CD. Using a Mackie 1640/w firewire. Question: Can I use my rack mounted effects in mixing? or am I stuck with these VST plug-in's???

PS: I just transitioned over from tape a few years ago so my learning curve is a sheer vertical wall.

De Essing Vital

To confirm what has already been said about de essing - it is one of the things that is left untouched in the mixes we receive. Not enough artists use low / hi pass filters or the built in de esser plugins. Proper de ssing is vital for the song mastering.

Your website needs some attention... when I found the article, it was down under the right hand menu... and presumably that right hand menu should be on the left and the arrows whould have things opening up when you hover over them and perhaps some of the actual links should work...

Hope you're not using that site as the basis for your business...

IE8.

Capture.PNG

Back