"Imaginative" Sequencing

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Can the running order of songs on an album actually make a difference as to how good or not so good that album is ?
What sort of thoughts go into the sequencing of albums you've recorded or are recording or intend to record ?

It can certainly make the difference between listening to the album as a whole or simply listening to a song or two...

Can the running order of songs on an album actually make a difference as to how good or not so good that album is ?
What sort of thoughts go into the sequencing of albums you've recorded or are recording or intend to record ?

Absolutely.
The amount of thought that goes into long live set lists should carry over to album set lists, in my opinion.
I mean, if you have four hard hitting rock songs together then four ballads together it might not work too well.
I like it when a record builds and falls to maintain your interest over time.

Genre dependent I think it's often effective to come in/go out with a bang.

I think song order can have an impact....but does anyone listen to entire albums in one sitting any more...? :)

I still like to, but I think the majority of people are now obsessed with their personal iPod song sequences, everyone wants to be a DJ ...:D... so whole albums don't get their due anymore.

I am a sequencing guy. I couldn't say for sure about the mastering (I would think it would factor into it), put from a presentation and if it is a concept album, most certainly.

We (Raine & Wageman, the musical partnership I have) have finished recording 14 tracks for our third CD, and are just about to go through the process of sorting out the order we want them in.

Even though tracks are often played in shuffle mode, I still think there are enough people playing CDs from start to finish to warrant giving the sequence special attention.

The first track is one that we think represents our music best. The last track is one that has the best sense of climax or finality about it.

If there are similar-sounding tracks, I separate them, putting the better ones earlier on the CD. Generally I try to mix things up so that there is variety in dynamics and moods throughout, though sometimes it makes musical sense to have similar songs follow each other.

Yes it matters to me, though I'm not sure I could name any real rules (or even rules of thumb) that I use to lay things out. It depends on so many factors that I just couldn't even start. When I have the tracks in front of me, the sequence is usually almost obvious.

I think an interesting side question to this might be to wonder how much "conventional sequencing" influences our decisions today. For example, how important is it to "front load" the album nowadays - putting the "singles" and strongest songs at the very beginning? On vinyl you sort of had to front load each side, so that it went from strong>weak until about halfway through where we'd find another strong song eventually "fizzling out" toward the end. Then there's the physics of a vinyl record that makes the inside grooves sound significantly different from the outside, and therefor demand that we put the less important or dynamic songs toward the end of a side.

How much do we even worry about "sides" at all nowadays? Even if we're not really thinking about that, does that tradition somehow influence what "feels right" to those of us who grew up listening to albums built on that format?

Another +1.. Flow is important .. although a little less so in this age of singles that we're seeing again these days. . but albums.. yes ..Also having transitions/crossfades between songs can be captivating. see Pink Floyd. Just worked on an album today with no time between songs and overlapping etc.. ..can be a little more of a pain in the assembly process.

Just worked on an album today with no time between songs and overlapping etc.. ..can be a little more of a pain in the assembly process.
Which leads to the question of how to do so such that it works in both "full album" playback and as a single in "shuffle mode". Like, where does the first song end and the next song begin? It's an issue I've struggled with for years. Maybe off topic, but any tips on that?

Which leads to the question of how to do so such that it works in both "full album" playback and as a single in "shuffle mode". Like, where does the first song end and the next song begin? It's an issue I've struggled with for years. Maybe off topic, but any tips on that?
Normally, I look for a musical que that makes rhythmical sense, ..which is not always easy. Naturally, downbeats are common or the four catching the lead in to the one, but then the cut also has to work where you're not hearing to much of the overlap and it has to lend itself to the intro. You also have to be careful to do the cut/edit at a zero crossing on the waveform so you don't here a click and you'd also need to leave enough frames for a cd player to kick in. It can get tricky, and a lot of time people will work this out ahead of time, but working on artist mix tapes and working with dj's has given me a little insight into it.

Back