What do you hate & why

Mindset

I see that there's not many fans of record labels. IE Major or indie.

Care to tell me why? What turns minds to think this way? Popular belief? Did you get fucked over by a record label? Do you not like itunes because they don't want to stock your music? Do you hate Best Buy because you cannot get distributed into their stores? Do you hate MP3's maybe because you have not sold any? Do you dislike EMI because their artists make better music than you? Do you believe our president is horrible because he is black? :eek:

Seriously.. Share your experiences on the reasons why you hate the things in this industry that you do. lol

I don't hate record labels. I don't even dislike them. Maybe I'll be seen as a fool or a sucker but there you go. Without record labels, how would we have heard the great, varied and valuable music from all over this world of the last 120 years, let alone in the great quantities that we have ? Prior to the advent of recording companies, you either had to go and see music live, or it was passed down and preserved via the generations, meaning you'd never hear something the same way twice, at your leisure, in your space. If you had a piano in the house/shack you might get sheet music but pretty much the same applied.
It was pretty interesting that radio and records {put out by the record labels....} both came into being fairly closely to one another in history coz the one definitely fed the other.
Record labels have actually given us so much, as well as being forcing houses for so much wonderful technology - technology that is now relatively affordable to all kinds of people that wouldn't have had a chance 40 years ago to record their own stuff. What I mean by a forcing house is this; as the race to make better and more original recordings gathered momentum, various people had ideas and designed gadgets that could be used on records that the labels put out. The electric guitar and amplifier, for example, would have existed irrespective of whether people actually recorded them. But there would have been no sense in coming up with multitracking were there no recording. Ok, I suppose one could play live to already prepared stuff....but that ain't the way it went down.
Producers, tape ops, engineers and the like, not to mention all their gadgets and modus operandi {that many of us benefit from} would not have existed without record labels. And whatever people want to think, making money is not the sole purpose for their existence. I just do not believe that. Do the proprietors of labels want to make money ? Of course they do. They always did, they always will and frankly, it would be, in my opinion, stupid, no, not even stupid, steeeeeee-oppid, to expect that to not be a factor. How many of us would go into a business of our own and not want to make money ? How would we eat ?!? So often I hear people grizzle about how labels are only interested in money not art......like many artists have not been ! What do you say to a musician who says "I do this to get rich and get laid and get wasted" but who happens to make beautiful music along the way ?
But I digress.:D
I don't pretend that record labels, or more to the point, certain people within those labels, are or have been pure hearted saints and angels. I don't dispute that the doggy deeds of many of the labels have given rise to all kinds of shenanigans {ranging from shitty music to ripoffs to murder}. Of course there has been and continues to be, a whole heap of shit attached to the biz. But one could say that about pretty much anything. Government. Religion. Sport. Family. Work. Armed forces. Medical services. The list could go on. None of these things are intrinsically wrong or nasty. Loads of people and philosophies and practices within them are, however, a different story.
I prefer to balance the good that the labels have brought during their development with their negatives, rather than lopsidedly veer to the negatives. It's perhaps not the easier path to take but I just think I'd be dumb to not see the good in something that has played such a major part in my existence thus far. Ultimately, maybe they've even provided the seed that has allowed us 'home wreckers' {merci, monsiuer Glen} to actually exist and enjoy....

Let the feasting begin !:rolleyes:

I don't like the idea of a small group of corporations controlling the majority of a form of artistic expression. I suppose there was some justification for it when they were the driving force behind all the new technology and artistic development, but nowadays record label can be much more of an artistically regressive force.
Their concern is making money. When the tools for music production and distribution had limited availability, they made their money by making better music. Now that some level of production and distribution tools are everywhere, they make their money by inhibiting the art and new technology.

Also, I like to think of my taste in music as "better" and more "authentic" than the next guy, and a villified big, evil music industry really helps that goal! ("Why do you listen to that corporate crap when you could be listening to some Casanova Frankenstein and the Disco Boys over at the Homerecording forums?") :D

I don't like the idea of a small group of corporations controlling the majority of a form of artistic expression. I suppose there was some justification for it when they were the driving force behind all the new technology and artistic development, but nowadays record label can be much more of an artistically regressive force.
Their concern is making money. When the tools for music production and distribution had limited availability, they made their money by making better music. Now that some level of production and distribution tools are everywhere, they make their money by inhibiting the art and new technology

But even then, they weren't really conglomerates. Sure, you still had big companies like EMI and Columbia, but there were a lot of record labels indepedent of each other. I think EMI (and maybe CBS?) were the only "conglomerates" until the 80's. Plenty of so-called "indepedent" labels in the 60s and 70s, and I use independent loosely since they still had huge acts and huge financial backing, they just weren't joined in with anyone else at the time.

I'm not signed to a major label and I'm not famous in anyway. My biggest fans are my kids :laughings:

Most of them are scum. They just want the latest hottest thing. And although the latest hottest music also has the best recordings and sounds amazing, most of the time it's mindless garbage. I hate a lot of shit. I hate TV and I hate the American couch potato society that we live in.

I don't care what color the president is. Him being black isn't any excuse for him not doing his job, which is to serve the American people.

Why does he suck?

He campaigned on bringing our people home and ending the war, yet he's sent out more and more troops. He's destroyed our economy and the value of the US dollar buy giving away trillions so that the bankers could get fat ass bonuses. Our national debt is at an all time high for the first time in the history of the USA.

Politicians are crooks man. Look up the federal reserve fraud and you'll see why I'm so pissed off... F those crooks in the IRS too!

Do you believe our president is horrible because he is black? :eek:

Seriously.. Share your experiences on the reasons why you hate the things in this industry that you do. lol

Oops, I thought you meant the president of the Mindset Group. :o Then I read the other replies.... :p

I hate major labels for sticking to "formulas" and ruining the radio. I love indies for the notion that they are trying to break the formulas. I don't think a record label would do me any good. Would they be able to market my music without me having to hit the road and tour?? Nah, I didn't think so.

I hate piracy and the fact that the only way a person like me can get my music out there is to give it away. I hate the notion that major retail outlets won't distribute music unless it's from a major label.

I have no clue how to market or promote my music without gigging relentlessly or touring. I'm too old for that!!

Conspiracy? Every one is the entertainment industry is in on it. nepotism.

In the future, it will no longer be profitable or legal to allow anyone to distribute music not specific to national interest.

In all honesty, those who sell their music online are as guilty as the record industry. Those that give thier music (good or not) away 4 free are heros.

What pisses me off about labels/publishers is just how slowly everything gets done.
If I hear the words "Be patient" once more.......

:mad::mad:

I hate a lot of commercial music because it propels a misogynistic, materialistic philosophy of money, sex and violence to young people like a lot of contemporary media.
And yes its all a CONSPIRACY!

Good, I'd rather be a villain.

YOU ARE SUCH A TOOL :D

I checked out your douchey music and no will be turning loose any change for that S:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:.......

I agree that recording music costs money but most people assume the expense of their hobbies themselves. The public will not and should not pay for you to make douchey tunes. Grow a pair and just accept that it is fun to record but don't go on pretending that it is profitable in your case.

Oops, I thought you meant the president of the Mindset Group. :o Then I read the other replies.... :p

I hate major labels for sticking to "formulas" and ruining the radio. I love indies for the notion that they are trying to break the formulas. I don't think a record label would do me any good. Would they be able to market my music without me having to hit the road and tour?? Nah, I didn't think so.

I hate piracy and the fact that the only way a person like me can get my music out there is to give it away. I hate the notion that major retail outlets won't distribute music unless it's from a major label.

I have no clue how to market or promote my music without gigging relentlessly or touring. I'm too old for that!!

Sweet tunes bra:)

YOU ARE SUCH A TOOL :D

I checked out your douchey music and no will be turning loose any change for that S:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings:.......

I agree that recording music costs money but most people assume the expense of their hobbies themselves. The public will not and should not pay for you to make douchey tunes. Grow a pair and just accept that it is fun to record but don't go on pretending that it is profitable in your case.

That is not so nice is it now say sorry:laughings:

Actually, "Off the spring - movement 1" is a neat piece. I wasn't thrilled at the timbre of the vocalists but I dug the song overall.

Back