How I built a large following on SoundCloud

Wow man, that must have been really cool! Do you still have the snaps?

Yeah, it's pretty incredible that people can love or hate the same guy for totally different reasons. He's covered so much ground.
I couldn't pick a favourite record but if I did it'd probably be from 70s.
Low, Diamond Dogs, Station to Station even...I love the quirky side of low/heroes/lodger.
I even got on board with Black Tie and Heathen (played Heathen to death), but Reality/Earthling/Outside didn't do a whole lot for me. There's bits and pieces I like.

I can't listen to Let's Dance/Tonight/Never Let Me Down at all. It's just not for me.

Yeah, I have the hard copy pics....somewhere. :D
It was 35 years ago.

Let's Dance isn't on of my favorites...I just ended up going to that concert 'cuz he was here, and my GF wanted to go...etc.
He was in an different phase at the time..."Fashion...move to the left"...:)
I liked some of the sounds he used on that album...Pop/Disco, but with an interesting edge.

But yeah...Station to Station, Space Oddity, Heroes... :thumbs up:

Ive seen him as David Bowie, Ive also seen him in Tin Machine...anyone remember them?...god it was a shit gig

Bowies one of my all time heroes...up to Lets Dance I love his stuff, "Width of a circle" is probably my favourite rock track outside of anything Steve Marriott has been involved in.

I don't mind Let's Dance. Besides the title track, the two others from that album that were all over the radio in 1983 were China Girl and Modern Love. Songs you hear when you're 20 stick with you I guess. Listening so many years later, I could do without the gated reverb on the snare but the songs still sound pretty good to me. Much of the music of that era doesn't age as well for me. Much as I admire Bowie's music, I think of how much more he might have accomplished if he hadn't got side tracked by drugs.

I've been a Bowie fan for a long time, but its the early stuff I like. Saw the Spiders from Mars Tour in Boston in 72. The new album - meh. Listened on Spotify last night. Somethings not right with the drums on most of the tunes, guessing they're programmed (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't like the sound of them on this album.)

Should a mod change the name of this tread?

Maybe: "How I built a... whoops! I'm banned. How great is David Bowie tho?"

Should a mod change the name of this tread?

Maybe: "How I built a... whoops! I'm banned. How great is David Bowie tho?"

To get back to the OP's original question: He paid himself $5 for a thousand clicks on Soundcloud, and kept doing it until he had built a large following of robots and had spent--and earned--$80 thousand in a year.

In a nutshell that's what he wants you to think, from a pretend purchasers perspective. You've got to admire the sneaky way of getting his website in there though with just a brief mention. Not even a hotlink. Crafty and clever.

A lot of people will buy his shit and then literally "buy his shit" from it though.

guessing they're programmed (not that there's anything wrong with that

I really REALLY doubt that. As far as I know he used the touring band on The Next Day and hired/saught out musicians for Blackstar.
I mean, it's Bowie...He's experimented with damn near everything, but the guts of the album would be live band, I'm sure.

First of all, it was never my intention to make dough off my music having already had a career but I used to do a variation on all that work. I'd set aside every Saturday morning to just listening, liking, and commenting which brought a nice group of loyal followers. You could see pretty quickly that most folks have a repost account and just send your stuff to that account which doesn't get much action.

My goals morphed into finding tunes that were exceptional which is difficult and concentrating on giving good comments to good work. The former was work and now I'm back to just enjoying listening to good original tunes knowing full well that success in the music business has "lottery ticket" odds and just enjoying the journey of making good music. I got lost in all the other.

TKeefe | Terry Keefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

First of all, it was never my intention to make dough off my music having already had a career but I used to do a variation on all that work. I'd set aside every Saturday morning to just listening, liking, and commenting which brought a nice group of loyal followers. You could see pretty quickly that most folks have a repost account and just send your stuff to that account which doesn't get much action.

My goals morphed into finding tunes that were exceptional which is difficult and concentrating on giving good comments to good work. The former was work and now I'm back to just enjoying listening to good original tunes knowing full well that success in the music business has "lottery ticket" odds and just enjoying the journey of making good music. I got lost in all the other.

TKeefe | Terry Keefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Just curious: Did you mean to post here?

Back