Do i need permission to do a cover song (non profit!!) on youtube?

kratos

With just the lyrics changed and the instrumental stays the same.

Im just wondering because apparently i heard most of the covers on youtube are illegal or something. Just want to clarify this thanks.

It is illegal yes, but it's unrealistic to think you'd ever have a problem unless it became super huge and you made tons of money off of it, at which time the song's owners would contact you and you'd have to give them a cut.

It's like people smoking joints at a a reggae concert - yes it's illegal but so many people are doing it so the cops look the other way.

Technically it's illegal for this site to allow YouTube videos to be posted here. How is not illegal to post this here?

That's stealing from the Beatles, no way around it. Unfortunately the internet happened so fast that that happened and now the cat's out of the bag it's too late. It's like if everyone started doing heroin in public tomorrow, heroin would be legal, either that or they'd have to bust everyone.

That bad part of it is that it's taken the money out of recording.

It is illegal yes, but it's unrealistic to think you'd ever have a problem unless it became super huge and you made tons of money off of it, at which time the song's owners would contact you and you'd have to give them a cut.

It's like people smoking joints at a a reggae concert - yes it's illegal but so many people are doing it so the cops look the other way.

Technically it's illegal for this site to allow YouTube videos to be posted here. How is not illegal to post this here?

That's stealing from the Beatles, no way around it. Unfortunately the internet happened so fast that that happened and now the cat's out of the bag it's too late. It's like if everyone started doing heroin in public tomorrow, heroin would be legal, either that or they'd have to bust everyone.

That bad part of it is that it's taken the money out of recording.

ok so do you suggest i just do the cover coz contacting the artist to ask for permission will take weeks if not months!
I m just doing the cover just for non profit exposure.

Just do it. If you contact them they will probably not answer your request. If it were a serious money making adventure I'd call Harry Fox Agency, they can sell you a license to use most songs.

But for what you're asking, I would just go for it and not worry.

Downunder, performing a piece AND changing even some of the lyrics also requires the owner's permission - technically.

Just as long as you pay mechanical license fees for the product or hobby idea, its not much of a problem. Remember a composer cannot deny a mechanical license to anyone. They can say when the first original recording will be released, but your doing a cover of an original released track already.. so your in the loop ;)

Just as long as you pay mechanical license fees for the product or hobby idea, its not much of a problem. Remember a composer cannot deny a mechanical license to anyone. They can say when the first original recording will be released, but your doing a cover of an original released track already.. so your in the loop ;)

Actually, a song that is derivative (lyrics changed, etc.) is not covered by a mechanical license. Technically, it requires written permission from the copyright holder, and they *don't* have to give it to you.-Richie

yh but i know the artist and the label but dont know how exactly to ask them for permission.
Im guessing it could take weeks or months!
How come 99% of youtube users just post there covers even when they get like millions of hits they dont get muted or warned?
Justin biebers a prime example.....lol

yh but i know the artist and the label but dont know how exactly to ask them for permission.
Im guessing it could take weeks or months!...

It would take less than 1/2 hr, all you do is go here and give them money:
http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp
Really, if you put out a CD and are going to make some $, you need to do that. HFA has most songs, and also http://www.ascap.com/licensing/license_request.html

... How come 99% of youtube users just post there covers even when they get like millions of hits they dont get muted or warned?
Justin biebers a prime example.....lol

The same reason you go on the freeway and everyone is speeding. If too many people do something illegal it gets to a point where they can't enforce the law, and it becomes normal.

It would be abnormal to get a license for what you are asking. Legal? Yes, but it's like asking if it's legal to go over the speed limit on the freeway.

Exactly how its done. visit the harry fox agency. or contact the copyright owners.

Websites like YouTube however, states & warns in their terms that uploading illegal material is prohibited by law. It is up to the individual to oblige by it.

Really, if you put out a CD and are going to make some $, you need to do that. HFA has most songs, and also http://www.ascap.com/licensing/license_request.html

The same reason you go on the freeway and everyone is speeding. If too many people do something illegal it gets to a point where they can't enforce the law, and it becomes normal.

It would be abnormal to get a license for what you are asking. Legal? Yes, but it's like asking if it's legal to go over the speed limit on the freeway.

Last edited:

in the harry fox website is it under the section "limited quantity licenses" ---> songfile registration?
I intend to use the same melody but change the lyrics.

Last edited:
Back