Is FireWire the way to go?

What a load of twaddle.

Arguably the two best manufacturers of interfaces are RME and MOTU. Both of them do USB interfaces up to the point where channel count dictates the need for the bandwidth of Firewire. I don't think there are many home studios that need to record 32 or 56 simultaneous tracks.

Your "buy a $30 card" advice may work for the time being with desktop work stations but many people now want the convenience and portability of a laptop. Go to a shop and try to find a laptop with built in Firewire or a PC Express slot for an adaptor. They're scarce as hen's teeth.

I repeat: there is no QUALITY difference between Firewire and USB2/3. The differences are in data throughput and CPU use. At the number of tracks used in most home studios, there is no problem whatsoever using USB2. If you need the number of tracks that dictate Firewire, chances are you may wish to work differently anyway--perhaps a digital mixer an Audinate system for example.

When spending somebody else's money, I always want to be careful to point out the downsides--and Firewire has definite downsides these days. If, after thinking about all the issues, somebody still wants to go that route, that's great. As I say, I still use Firewire myself but am actively researching alternatives for my next computer upgrade.

Uninformed and inaccurate twaddle like "good quality interfaces use Firewire" are no help at all.

Yeah, go make some music--but don't waste money on a system that will be difficult to support next year.

Im not hear to get into a pissing contest. "Bobbsy" I apologize for slamming on USB, but it is the inferior connection. Like mentioned above, Sony Betamax was a far superior video format, but the inferior VHS planted roots. The better thing sometimes falls to the way side. But like YOU mentioned at a certain track count Firewire takes over, so, its the better of the two. And when the ability of the interface (and price point) goes up, then the quality of components (AD/DA) converters usually go up too. Hence the the better RME800 or 400 Firewire units. Now do the 800 and 400's sound better than the lower end RME USB/Firewire units ? Who knows, but I would bet they do. But really we both loose, pci and pcie are the better way to go. Sincerely yours, "The Twaddler" :)

Last edited:
Firewire vs. USB2: Pepsi vs. Coke, Burger King vs. McDonalds, Oranges, vs. Apples...
Basically, its all about personal preference. Although some manufacturers, such as MOTU, use Firewire cables for their proprietary PCI AD/DA systems. These systems can offer less latency than traditional Firewire and USB2.

Im not hear to get into a pissing contest. "Bobbsy" I apologize for slamming on USB, but it is the inferior connection.

I don't want a pissing contest either but USB is only inferior IF YOU NEED TO USE THE DATA THROUGHPUT. If you're talking about a 2 input interface then there is no production advantage to Firewire--and a number of practical advantages for USB. As Ethan Winer points out, Firewire can be fussy about things like switch on order (if I don't go mixer-interface-boot computer my interface isn't detected) and gear also comes with big warnings against hot plugging).

It's a bit like saying a Ford Focus is inferior than a Kenworth 18 wheeler. Yes, the Kenworth can carry more--but if you're only driving down to the supermarket to buy some milk, the Ford does the job and is probably easier to park too. Just like the Kenworth, Firewire has had it's place (as I keep saying, I use it) but it's future is very uncertain and it's likely not the time to invest in Firewire with USB3 and Thunderbolt both on the horizon. Despite being a user myself, I couldn't in good conscience suggest that somebody else invests their hard earned money at this point.

I don't want a pissing contest either but USB is only inferior IF YOU NEED TO USE THE DATA THROUGHPUT. If you're talking about a 2 input interface then there is no production advantage to Firewire--and a number of practical advantages for USB. As Ethan Winer points out, Firewire can be fussy about things like switch on order (if I don't go mixer-interface-boot computer my interface isn't detected) and gear also comes with big warnings against hot plugging).

It's a bit like saying a Ford Focus is inferior than a Kenworth 18 wheeler. Yes, the Kenworth can carry more--but if you're only driving down to the supermarket to buy some milk, the Ford does the job and is probably easier to park too. Just like the Kenworth, Firewire has had it's place (as I keep saying, I use it) but it's future is very uncertain and it's likely not the time to invest in Firewire with USB3 and Thunderbolt both on the horizon. Despite being a user myself, I couldn't in good conscience suggest that somebody else invests their hard earned money at this point.

Its all good.

Back