Where to buy Quantegy 456 tape???

MartyMcFly

I wanted to start a thread where people can list place you can still get Quantegy 456 tape. Specifically 1/4 and 1/2. I see Musicians Friend still has some. But maybe we could compile a list of all of these places...internet stores...and anywhere else so people can still get a feel for whats left out there...

actually; MF has the availablity listed as "Due 6-01" which is odd....did quantegy start back up again?? the "sale price" is $80.

Many distributors bought up the remaining stock, so vendors like MF are still placing orders. Production has stopped but product will be available indefinitely.

Here’s the rub (besides the ridiculous price)… now we have to ask sellers the date for brand new tape because the most recent lots since the new Quantegy took over are some of the worst runs in history. If it’s made late 2005 and later I wouldn’t buy it any more than I would if it was made 1994 and older.

So, now we have a window between last quarter of 1994 to early 2005 that the tape has the best chance of being usable. 1994 and before will have sticky-shed. Late 2005 and later is hit or miss, but expect terrible slitting and inconsistent coating.

No matter… the only thing I would send to MF at that price is a jar of Vasciline and instructions on where they can put the 11” x 11” box.

As for the good AMPEX/Quantegy that’s still out there, just be patient because it will eventually start showing up at about half the price people paid for it during the closeout.

eBay is the best source for new-old-stock that I know of. It’s already starting to come down in price because the anticipated tape panic didn’t happen… and as I said back then when Quantegy was trying to create a rush on tape at any price, it never will happen.

Once the people that snatched it up to make a killing in another tape crisis realize the Great Pumpkin isn’t coming, they will start unloading it at reasonable prices. But again, ask about the manufacture date and shop wisely.

:)

Attachments

• linus.jpg
    linus.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 3,284
How can production be stopped but product will be available indefinatley?
I have a bunch of new 1/4" Quantegy 456 that I want to trade into 1/2" Im new to the Reel to Reel market and really have NO idea what I should pay for RTR tape. I just know that as of right now I want Quantegy 456. Is there a way I can look at the grey box that holds my tape and tell the date of Manufacture off that?
Anyone???I have 14 rolls of New Quantegy 456 grand master 2500ft. That I would trade for say 6 1/2" Quantegy Grand Master 2500ft...Anyone wanna trade?

MartyMcFly said:
How can production be stopped but product will be available indefinatley?

Fewer tape users; plenty of new-old-stock tape of every kind going back many years. Sealed, 10-year-old AMPEX/Quantegy is as good as new (maybe better).

Is there a way I can look at the grey box that holds my tape and tell the date of Manufacture off that?

White label on edge of box and/or back flage of reel.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=149714

Beck said:
Late 2005 and later is hit or miss, but expect terrible slitting and inconsistent coating.

I can testify to that. The Quantegy 480 that I have from 2006, which is supposedly "approved by Nagra" for its better attention to quality, is terrible with occassional dropouts and more oxide on tape guides that I'd like to see. My 407, on the other hand, which was made 2002, is great. No problems.

I see RMGI fulfilling my future tape needs but I'm up for the occassional eBay Quantegy deals. ;)

Beck said:
Many distributors bought up the remaining stock, so vendors like MF are still placing orders. Production has stopped but product will be available indefinitely.

Here’s the rub (besides the ridiculous price)… now we have to ask sellers the date for brand new tape because the most recent lots since the new Quantegy took over are some of the worst runs in history. If it’s made late 2005 and later I wouldn’t buy it any more than I would if it was made 1994 and older.

So, now we have a window between last quarter of 1994 to early 2005 that the tape has the best chance of being usable. 1994 and before will have sticky-shed. Late 2005 and later is hit or miss, but expect terrible slitting and inconsistent coating.

No matter… the only thing I would send to MF at that price is a jar of Vasciline and instructions on where they can put the 11” x 11” box.

As for the good AMPEX/Quantegy that’s still out there, just be patient because it will eventually start showing up at about half the price people paid for it during the closeout.

eBay is the best source for new-old-stock that I know of. It’s already starting to come down in price because the anticipated tape panic didn’t happen… and as I said back then when Quantegy was trying to create a rush on tape at any price, it never will happen.

Once the people that snatched it up to make a killing in another tape crisis realize the Great Pumpkin isn’t coming, they will start unloading it at reasonable prices. But again, ask about the manufacture date and shop wisely.

I bought 4 reels of Quantatgy 1/2" tape in Feb 07. I just tested all 4 reels as well as all my reels of RMG 1/2" tape. I have no problems at all. Am I just lucky or are people's tape machines sick?

I clean and align/maintain my machines religiously.

cool that meant I have 14 rolls of Quantegy 1/4" Grand Master 2500 ft. with a sticker of 2000144 and 2001348. Most of it is the 2000144. Thanks for the info...
Beck...when you say be patient...that it'll start showing up for 1/2 price how long are you talking???

Be patient means at least this time next year... but I'm talking about big purchases. This isn’t the time to buy a case of anything. In the mean time look for deals. eBay is one of the best sources for one or two tapes at a time. You have to know what to look for and what to avoid. That info is all here in this forum.

I believe Protape only sells by the case.

Try these guys instead: (But call and ask about the date of manufacture)

http://www.malelo.com/halfinch.html

Again for the record I won’t buy RMGI tape at these outrageous prices. I don’t want to beat a dead horse as everyone knows how I feel about it, but the current prices were set by the criminals at Quantegy and RMGI followed their lead. They lost my respect in the process. Prices went up nearly $15.00 a reel (for ½”) overnight at the sites that had the best deals. This by order of Der Fuhrer at RMGI.

So right now for me it’s new-old-stock or nothing, and RMGI doesn’t exist.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=237300

Last edited:
That quarter inch stuff I have seems to be good then? I just wish it were 1/2 so I could use it for 8 track.
Beck where is a good place to buy reels? Would it be a good idea to buy say the crappiest quality tape on ebay say in 1/2 and just buy it for the reel. Then buy pancakes and transfer it over? Or are the reels bad too? Also how do I fix a slightly lop-sided reel?

Hey Beck...
At that maleo place. I see they have 1/2 quantegy 456 for about 55.-- 56.00 per roll. What does CBD mean? I dont see it anywhere?

Reels are one good reason to buy old tape, if the price is right and shipping isn't too much. Some of the reels can be in pretty bad shape though, so be careful. New empty reels have also gone through the roof in price

If the 456 at Malelo is made 2004 or earlier that’s about as good a price as you will find for a case of 7 (about half price of what people were paying in the final days of Quantegy… as I predicted would happen then). ;) Buy a case and you’re set. If it’s made 2005 or later buy a reel or two and see.

CBD = cardboard box

Straightening a reel can be tricky. A perfectly flat surface and a rubber mallet have worked for me a time or two.

Well I think one or two of my reels are wobbly the other way. While its spinning. Or it may be my hubs. I dunno...thanks fo the advice...Does 1/2" tape fit in a 1/4 Tape Care Box? Thats my next question...And what is LIB then? I guess I wanna know if that Maleo place will sell the 1/2" with the tape care box. I really like those...

Scratch that…

3M originally called the plastic case a “Library box.” (LIB) Some vendors call it the “Tapecare box.” I’ve also seen vendors describe the cardboard box as a “Tape care box.”

Some people use the terms differently, so it's best to ask. Some call the cardboard a "Setup box."

This is one of those standards with no standard. Why they don't just say plastic case and cardboard box, I don't know. :)

I guess it would take some of the fun out of it. :confused:

1/2" won't fit in 1/4" box... unless you jump up and down on it.

Last edited:
Beck,
I just talked to Allen at Maleo and he said he's waiting...hoping that he will get some Quantegy in tomorrow (june 1st). He tried to talk me into buying some RMG or some Quantegy 499 or GP9. He said that he recieved a letter from/about quantegy stating that they are done but may try to come back. He doesnt understand how they could be shipping him more of the 1/2 inch 456 when they said they were out and done. I dont think he was totally up on the situation. That sucks. I was hoping I found some of this tape at a good price...

If you check back on the 1st, keep us posted. I don't really need any more tape, but I may call him next week for an update. :)

You should also consider that not everyone here or on other forums will be giving away their sources if they find a steal. If I find a place with good prices I’ll be posting it here, but I can’t speak for everyone.

Keep your chin up, Calvin. There is tons of tape out there. When the people hoarding it get tired of waiting for the next tape “Emergency” we'll be swimming in it. Up with hope, down with nope. :D

FALKEN said:
actually; MF has the availablity listed as "Due 6-01" which is odd....did quantegy start back up again?? the "sale price" is $80.

so I went and checked it out; now it is listed as "Due 6-15"

Back