What sort of analogue to get this sort of sound?

Will25

Sort of sixties garage sound a la...

sort of like early Who/early Stones like the needles in the red, that sort of thing. What would I need? Ideally looking at something with 8 tracks as it's only me and a drummer recording the instruments and vocals for like a demo album. Thanks

You could probably get away with a Tascam 38 or similar. Going by the year, the Stairs could have used anything from a 38, Otari 5050-8 to a 24-track Otari. However, if they didn't have much budget it is very likely they used a Fostex E16 which was all the rage in budget studios of that era.

This is simply a bad copy of the audio. It could have been done at Abbey Road for all we know. There are clearer versions of the same recording on youtube. One way to get this sound is to take the original audio and bounce it back and forth between two cassette decks until it's this muddy and awful sounding. ;)

For the Stairs, see my earlier reply. It was almost certainly analogue and quite possibly a prosumer machine like the Fostex E16 depending on their budget. If you actually have a copy of the EP or album, I'd be very interested to know what studio it was recorded at, it usually says.

For Edgar Jones and the Joneses, no idea. It's likely digital, but I really couldn't say.

Thanks jp, probably a bit out of my budget though and theyre not common...is there a cheaper alternative? I've got this tascam digital portastudio and its sounds crap. im hoping to mock up some demos to put together a demo album that i can distribute.

Thanks jp, probably a bit out of my budget though and theyre not common...is there a cheaper alternative? I've got this tascam digital portastudio and its sounds crap. im hoping to mock up some demos to put together a demo album that i can distribute.

Not really... at the time it was the cheap alternative. The 8-track version was the R8, which uses 1/4" tape. They're fairly common. Other alternatives are the Tascam 38 or TSR-8 (1/2" 8-track), or the Tascam 388 - another 1/4" 8-track, but with built-in mixer like a giant portastudio.
But there isn't really a cheaper way to get 16 tracks on tape. Oh, there is also the B16, but I'm not sure how reliable those would be these days. You'd probably make up the difference getting it serviced.

What model is the digital portastudio thing, out of interest? Is it that weird 5-track portable one? I have a feeling those recorded to MP3 format, so it wouldn't surprise me if they sounded poor...

Hmmm I think I'll have a look on ebay again, could probably pick something up with a bit of patience. Its a Dp01 which I have, it's alright but theres this constant background hiss and I just think the overall sound of digital recordings is often 'cold', if that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

while i'm fairly certain that the equipment used imparts some kind of character on any recording, the only similarites i hear in the two clips you posted are totally stylistic w/ regard to the music itself.

that is to say, you can probably get in the ball park with the digital portastudio that you have. one hallmark of '60s-type music is that most of the sound happens at the source. if the band playing sounds like that in a room, most of the variables are going to come from amp settings, drum tunings, mic placement, etc. ... and of course the most important thing, the players. certain tape machines impart subtle characteristics, that, yes indeed, can sometimes contribute to the magic. but i'm not sure that's what we're hearing in these examples.

i don't record digitally at all, or appreciate much about it, and i do feel that my own music depends on tape. but it doesn't depend on budget. i was working with cassette 4-track for many years (and would do so again if i had to choose between cassette or digital), so i would recommend getting a cassette 4-track if you don't like your current rig. getting a 1/4" 4-track or 1/2" 8-track reel deck is about as affordable as you can get in open reel. A teac 3340 would suit your needs really well.

a tascam cassette 4-track can be had for really cheap. I personally like the Tascam Porta 5 (I got one on eBay for about $35) or the 414 model (a bit more, but not much).

good luck and let us know what it sounds like when you get something together.

donny

Back