What interfaces have audio, MIDI, AND onboard SMPTE/MTC sync capability?

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Hey all...trying to assist an acquaintance of mine. He is looking for an audio/MIDI interface with at least 8 channels of line level I/O, MIDI I/O, and also the ability to generate SMPTE timecode to stripe to his 388, and timecode input so it can read the striped track, convert to MIDI timecode, and slave his DAW to the incoming MIDI timecode.

I'm aware, and I have advised him, he could get any 8-channel interface and also find a JL Cooper PPS-100 (or something like that), but he would prefer to have it all in one box.

What are his options?

Yeh his problem with trying to do it with just one box, is that he's trying to combine technologies that were separated by about ten years or more. The interfaces that supported MTC to stripe and read from tape, didn't have audio inputs / outputs. their job was to merely sync a midi setup, with an analogue tape system. The introduction of computer and an audio interface I think means it will require what you suggested, two separate boxes.

As Altruistica says, this would be a bit of an anachronism. I would not be surprised if there was an 8-way MIDI box with sync capabilities, but it won't have an 8-way audio interface. And it would likely want to talk to the computer via serial, parallel or a proprietary ISA interface. Not USB.

Oh: I tell a lie. The MOTU MIDI Express XT does do MIDI and Sync over USB. But not audio.

EDIT:
Actually, as Strryder says, the MOTU 828x comes really close, but it does only give you 1x1 MIDI ports. If there was a beast that could do everything you needed, it would have to be 2U simple because of the surface area required by all the ports.

All the above...

The Line I?O and MIDI I/O is pretty standard fare...my old Echo Layla24 boxes have both, plus WC...

...but the SMPTE/MTC and conversion stuff is really at the application side...OR...another external box.
Never heard of a converter interface that also converts SMPTE/MTC.
If he wants to feed SMPTE directly (no MTC)...again, the application needs to support that...some do, some need to see MTC.

Back