There is a mystery "switch" in my other TASCAM 244 .. What is it ??

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hi,

I just bought another MINT 244. I got this one locally which is pretty rare - not on eBay this time ;) . Anyway, I found what looks like a "switch" which is not present on my other 244. It's located on the far left, just by the power supply (photos attached). First I thought that it might be a voltage switch but then checked the manual and if it is that then it's located a bit farther than the manual shows. I'm not sure what it is ... All I know is it looks like you slide a white thing up or down ... Anyone know ?

Thanks!

Daniel

Attachments

• tn_DSC00007.JPG
    tn_DSC00007.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 220
Hi,

Anyway, I found what looks like a "switch" which is not present on my other 244. It's located on the far left, just by the power supply.... First I thought that it might be a voltage switch but then checked the manual and if it is that then it's located a bit farther than the manual shows. I'm not sure what it is ... All I know is it looks like you slide a white thing up or down ... Anyone know ?

Thanks!

Daniel

My not so MINT 244 has the same switch??? Would not have noticed it had I not see your post.

Geer

It's been 6 years since that post and I'm still waiting for an answer. The mystery deepens..:eek::D

Maybe it's not a switch at all, but a mechanical lock for two parts of the machine to keep them from separating under use.

Only way to get started is to tace the wires out to where the go...never seen anything like it (nor am I all that familiar with the 244) and I can't imagine what it would be... :confused:

Thanks guys!:) Next time I'm inside the 244 I'll trace the wires and look into it more. Don't think it's a mechanical lock 'cause my other 244 didn't have that "switch" and it kinda looks like a box with some wires coming out of it, at least that's the way I remember it.

That box is the on/off switch for the Tascam. I just swapped out the non-polarized plug that attaches to it, for a polarized cord.

You'll find the power cord attaches to it in 2 spots, as well as 2 wires going to the transtormer.

The set up is:

A - Wire from power cord and wire from transfomer together. This is the Neutral.
B - Wire from power cord. This is the HOT.
C - Wire from transformer. This connects to HOT when the power switch is in the ON position.

If you want to change out your cord to a polarized cord, you would take out the old one, and wire it so the wire with the wide blade connects A. The wide blade on the plug is Neutral, and on the left when plugging it into the outlet. The smaller blade is the HOT, and is the one you always want to have switched. That one would connect to where the old wire is by itself on the switch. C, the wire from the transformer, remains where it is.

If you want to instead, add a 3 prong cord, you'd do the same, but the 3rd wire (green on the cord) would be soldered somewhere to the chassis (metal frame/body) of the Tascam.

Generally the color code would be:

White - Neutral
Black - Hot
Green - Ground

On the Tascam 244 (at least mine), the two colors are brown and white. In the manual, page 52 says the colors are blue (neutral) and brown (live, aka HOT). Blue connects to the terminal marked N or is colored black. Brown is connected to L or the one colored red.

I think for Blue and Brown, they are refering to the color on the power cord, as there is no blue wire inside the unit. Instead, I think they were brown and white.

Back