TASCAM MX-80 (have some questions, of course ;) )

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Ok, I know this must be a cool piece of TASCAM vintage gear BUT ... can anyone please explain to me how and for what it is used ? I see it has XLR's on the back and also send/receive. Are the XLR's all mic "ins" ? What about the send/receive ? Are these for returning the signal to your recorder and/or to patch in compressors etc .. ? But then I can't see how it would work with something like a TASCAM 244 or 34B ? Will it, for example, enable me to use a compressor with the 34B ? Does anyone have any good and clear front and back picts of this unit ?

Thanks for the help,

Daniel

The MX80 is an 8x2 mic/line mixer with access send/receive ports to allow for insertion of external compressors or other signal processing gear.

The balanced xlr inputs can handle anything from line to microphone inputs by using the trim control to dial up to mic levels and dial down to work with line levels.

There are switching facilities on each input for phantom power but, there is no phantom power built into the mixer. You must use an external supply for that function. With your SM57 microphones, that won't be an issue for you.

I do have a data sheet on the mixer with good quality pictures on it but it wont fit into the picture size restrictions of this website.

PM me your e-mail address and I can send it to you.

Cheers! :)

I attached a pic but this was as large as I could make it and get it to fit into the file size size restriction.

E-mail option is still available.

The Ghost of FM said:
I attached a pic but this was as large as I could make it and get it to fit into the file size size restriction.

E-mail option is still available.

Man! Thanks GHOST!! :) . I just sent you a PM. Please check it :)

Daniel

Wow, GFM saved me all that typing! Thanx!

Anyway, I had a previous post, but it got glitched.

In brief, I'm sure you know there are several products in that rackmount family. Of course you do, you have the catalog. I've even seen a rare GA-40 on ebay, but unfortunately slept through that one.;)

I don't have to explain much further, 'cept to say the Tascam rackmount units were made to be a system approach, with ultimate patching capability.

Pictured:

MX-80
PE-40
M-1B
M-40

I have more, f/i, the graphic eq GE-20, plus duplicates of the above.;)

Attachments

• im003664a.jpg
    im003664a.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 589
Back in the 80's, I used to be a Teac authorized dealer and when the sales rep from Teac would come around, I would grab the color glossy brochures off of him so, I have an excellent collection of all that stuff from 84 through 93.

I should put it all onto the computer but, time and laziness prevent me from getting around to it.

If I ever get enough time, I will put them all into high res., .pdf files.

Re: Wow, GFM saved me all that typing! Thanx!

A Reel Person said:
Anyway, I had a previous post, but it got glitched.

In brief, I'm sure you know there are several products in that rackmount family. Of course you do, you have the catalog. I've even seen a rare GA-40 on ebay, but unfortunately slept through that one.;)

I don't have to explain much further, 'cept to say the Tascam rackmount units were made to be a system approach, with ultimate patching capability.

Pictured:

MX-80
PE-40
M-1B
M-40

I have more, f/i, the graphic eq GE-20, plus duplicates of the above.;)

Ahh .. the gear .. :cool: Photo looks familiar .. There is a pict of John Lennon behind playing the piano I believe. :)

Daniel

I have more, f/i, the graphic eq GE-20, plus duplicates of the above

That is an understatement. Dave has the only Tascam showroom in existance. Ha!
And then there is the garage. And the tech room. And the storage cases. Hmmm, I bet the attic is full too.:D How bout it Dave, got a secret stash in the attic?

fitZ:p

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
That is an understatement. Dave has the only Tascam showroom in existance. Ha!
And then there is the garage. And the tech room. And the storage cases. Hmmm, I bet the attic is full too.:D How bout it Dave, got a secret stash in the attic?

fitZ:p

Yeah and you're forgetting the gear he didn't show you! ;) Dave has so much gear, he sometimes forgets! Right Dave ? ;) :D

Daniel

You're right about that!

There was definitely some gear I forgot to show FITZ.

When you have as much gear as I do, it's easy to forget!;)

Back