Tascam M 208 mixer problem

Ok so heres the problem.
The monitor knob needs to be pushed down in order to keep the signal going.
in other words to listen through the headphones I need to hold down the knob.
How can I fix this?

[video=youtube;<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/GgG8G0jrDUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/GgG8G0jrDUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>]video[/video]

OK, first off, I hope that wasn't a MONO jack that you plugged into the headphone input? :confused::eek: That's a no-no and will mess up your board, if it hasn't already...

What you are experiencing with the VOL control knob sounds just like a board I bought years ago that was damaged in shipping. Outside was fine but inside a bunch of things were broken, including a circuit board with the volume potentiometer (which was almost hanging by a thread and only responded to twisting, pushing and bending).

You can open 'er up and see what's up but doesn't seem to me like an easy fix.

Seriously, don't do the eBay / shipping again. I'm beggin' you man!

AllenM

I aint gonna lie AllenM... i like you. Yer a good guy i can tell.

I say definitely return that mixer. It is the worst condition m208 i have ever seen. It is worth maybe 50 bucks looking and functioning like that. I used to own an m208 but ill be honest with you, if you can find a good condition m30 you will be much happier in my opinion. Not that its better sound-wise, or that an m208 wont work well for you, im just giving you my opinion from my own experiences with that same equipment.

My honest advice would be to return that mixer, save your money while looking through craigslist etc and find a good condition Tascam M30. Dont buy one with flaws and broken stuff. Just wait for a good one. Then go meet the guy and make sure all channels work etc. Its an awesome mixer, especially if you are new to recording. I got mine off ebay a few years ago for like 130 bucks, clean as a whistle, never had 1 problem with it and i still use it. In fact sometimes i think about getting another one when i see them in good shape.

For where you are at right now, you need something that works, that is a springboard for you to learn not only what types of sounds you can get from your equipment, but more importantly "how" you like to use your equipment to get those sounds. You dont want a wonky mixer during that process.

It looks like something impacted on that volume control and pushed the shaft in to such a degree that it forced the pot apart inside so the pot needs to be changed. The part itself isn't expensive...maybe 4 or 5 bucks but will take some effort to open up the mixer enough to get to it to unsolder it from the board and put in the new one.

IF, that's the only thing wrong with the board, it would be a shame to return it for just that problem. Then again, there may be a slew of busted pots in there and you may discover more as you use more of the board.

Chalk up another one for flea-bay! :rolleyes:

Cheers! :)

Ok I opened up the mixer and I messed with the monitor pot.
I got it to work now. But im afriad in time (like next week) it will mess up.
What do you all think

What do you all think
I think you need to test the entire mixer to see if there are other issues in play and then you can make a wiser decision about getting it fixed or returning it.

Ok well everything on the mixer works. I think I might just keep it.
I need some more RCA cables though. Do I have to buy older ones or can I just go buy new ones from radio shack. Im still new to this analog thing. So this is what i understand so far

I use a RCA cable to go from the mixers PGM 1 to Line in L 1 on the deck.
Then I would connect another RCA cable from Output L 1 to 'TAPE in' on the mixers 1st channel.
Then I could assign 4 tracks to record on L 1 by pressing the 1-2, 1-2 button on the channels.
Then I go to the deck hit play&rec and ta da im finished.

So I record track one. after I rewind the tape. the I go to the deck move the switch from track 1s SOURCE to TAPE then I switch SIMUL SYNC and I prepare to record the 1nd track.

Then lets say the 2nd track I would connect ANOTHER rca cable from PGM 2 to line in R 3 on the deck. The output from R 3 would go into Channel 2 'tape in' on the mixer. Is this correct?

Is this correct?

29co3u8.jpg

Yes, your pictograph is correct.

You can also use the other mixer channels 5-8 for your microphones so that you don't have to keep switching the input switches on the mixer. This will also give you a chance to test out the other channels to make sure all of the other knobs and switches are working.

Tascam m-208 monitor not working

What do you all think

I actually have both a tascam m-208 and a m-216 and both have this same problem...where the monitor volume does not work. On one...if you hold or push down on the volume pot...it works but if you take the pressure off...it stops.

I opened up the back but couldn't figure out how to do anything to fix the problem. sounds like you may have found a way to attack it and was wondering what you did to fix the problem.

The pot looks as if it's attached to a card or something. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you hold or push down on the volume pot...it works but if you take the pressure off...it stops.
Sounds like the wiper has lost it's tension, and is not making good contact with the Trace. Once it loses it's spring tension, it's trash time.
Follow the advice of the Ghost. Replace it.

Back