Which Tascam DAT Deck?

Oh, that's interesting. They managed to patch it. I always thought it was a hard limit because the device drivers assumed kernelspace started from 512MB...

I believe you are right...it WAS a hard limit but I believe it was addressed in win98se...the 512mb ceiling was an issue with the 1st edition of win98.

I got it running fine with 2gb but dos utilities running within windows weren't happy, and that is critical to the dat2wav software so I pulled the second 1gb stick out. I jockeyed things around in the PCI slots to get the video, sata raid and one of the usb busses on separate irq's...had to do some fooling in the bios but they're all separate. I'm going to be monitoring the results of the transfers using a Tascam US-224 and since that uses usb protocol I just felt better having the audio, video and hdd bussing on separate addresses.

I forgot to mention also that I'm using a 64mb 8x agp video card.

Now, I realize these specs don't sound impressive in today's world...I mean really...SINGLE core processor? Only ONE gb of ram? Video ram in the DOUBLE-digit mb range (rather than triple digit or into the gb range)? Really?? (yes I know I could be doing much worse...) But all that and a bag of chips running win98se...its just blistering fast and I think the sata raid stripe helps that too. Kinda fun to brush back up on my win98 chops.

Anyway, got the drive, cable and card from Jinn...stumbling through the whole scsi world since I was never too adept at that so I'll be sending you a pm, Don! :)

win98 had no problem pulling up a driver for the card, and the adapter is happy with the drive but windows can't find (nor can I find) a driver for the drive and I don't know if that matters or not, but my command string in dat2wav elicits a drive initialization error and I don't know if that has to do with win98 not being happy with the drive or if that is a firmware issue...

Almost there...I WILL say that the drive handles tapes just fine...I ran a cleaning tape through it a few times to make sure but the drive itself seems to be healthy!

See PM,

Also, for the benefit of the forum:

I'm going off memory here, but I'm fairly certain you *have* to use the Adaptec ASPI drivers, the default Windows drivers don't work for some reason. I can't explain it. I am pretty sure (it's been about 6 years or so since I installed this) that I had to use the Adaptec SCSI installer. In fact, the dat2wav people seem to make a point of this.

The dat2wav site has some good info on getting the drive to work. There should be an aspicheck (sp?) utility as well, which may come in handy.

My (hah Win95 box with 256mb of ram, and a whoohoo I think an AMD K5-II) is what I used for this. It isn't set up at the moment due to some home improvement that had to get done.

I checked my (Win98 actually) box. I installed the Adaptec EZ-SCSI software, but the Adaptec site has drivers for Win98. The ASPI layer is loaded via the registry.

EDIT: To clarify, Windows likely detects the SCSI card just fine and provides a driver for it, but htat is just the SCSI card, it doesn't provide the communication between the SCSI devices attached to it. That is where the ASPI layer comes in between the OS and the drive, (tape, cd, hard disk -- whathaveyou) which windows apparently doesn't provide.

Last edited:
Back