Tascam 388 motor troubles?

alexq

Hi -- this group looks like the right place to post this.

I have a Tascam 388, which I used a lot a few years ago but since then has been sitting not doing much (I occasionally used it as a mixer but not as a tape device).

I recently dug out my old tapes to remaster them, and I loaded up the 388 as best as I remembered (and confirmed according to the manual), but when I push play/rewind/anything, the motors don't do anything, and the light above the button I pushed is simply solid...

I seem to remember this happening before but I can't remember if it really did, and what to do about it - or do you think the capstan motor is in trouble? When I wind the tape, or even lift those things up that you wind it through, I don't hear a motor starting up....

Thanks for any help!!

-Alex

Tascam had some problems with belts that would get sticky like glue and attach them selves to the capstan pulley and the motor shaft.
They will lock up the whole thing and can burn your motor up.
Check and see if you can turn the capstan stub with you finger and see if it turns if not then your belt is messed up. But I would still pull the bottom off of the machine and check the belt that way also.
And like Jeff said check the fuse. If the fuse is blown take the bottom off and check the belt before you just change the fuse and turn it back on.

Whoops- well, I didn't get a chance to do what you suggested first before I changed the fuse - but here's what I did:

I checked the fuse - indeed, the fuse was blown. In fact, I think two were. I replaced them, and now it rewinds and fast forwards - and if I listen closely, I can hear the motor start up when I load the tape.

However, when I press play, everything clicks into place, but nothing moves.

When I try and manually spin the capstan, it does move - but it's got a heavy motion to it - hard to start up, rolls for a while.

I suppose this all points to the belt?

Thanks again!

alexq said:
When I try and manually spin the capstan, it does move - but it's got a heavy motion to it - hard to start up, rolls for a while.

I suppose this all points to the belt?

I don't know these machines, but assuming they're like the TSR, Model 32 and Fostex A8, the capstan is actually a large, heavy flywheel. It is driven by a small motor next to it using a belt that generally goes around the rim of the flywheel.

I'd check the belt to make sure it hasn't snapped or come off or something, and if possible, try to start the machine with the front cover off and the belt removed so you can establish whether the capstan drive motor is turning or not. I don't know how easy that would be on a 388 given that it has a lid and all.

Its a peice of cake to check and change the belt on a 388. The worst part is taking all of the screws out of the bottom.

Yes! It is the belt! It's, as they say, as loose as a goose...

I'm guessing a hardware store might be the place to get a new one? Or does someone have another suggestion?

Thanks for the help!

hi all - i'm back (and hoping this thread is still getting read)

the replacement belt seems to work alright.. but there's still something fishy going on...

when i press play, everything is wobbly - the speed is not constant, it's variable and slower than it should be. the two things on either side that move up and down and spin with the tape bounce up and down a lot...

i _think_ it's a tension problem... in fact, if i manually spin the right reel myself to pick up the slack, everything plays fine....

it doesn't quite make sense to me though - any suggestions?

Make sure the tape you're using is brand new and free of sticky shed. Any uneven drag on the tape path might cause this. Also clean the heads and tape guides very well, until they're spotless.

The worst case of this issue might be related to unstable servos, due possibly to maladjustment of the servo section, or worse yet, a reel motor drive transistor that's gone flakey (oscillating) & may be on the verge of failing.

You have to verify the tape and clean the tape heads/path before suspecting any other internal malfunction. ;)

OK, i tried that.. but i think i've figured out the issue...
but i may not have - that's where you guys come in..

the capstan seems to be three pieces. the big one that's attached with the drive belt to the motor, a long metal stick that's what comes in contact with the tape itself, and a washer thing in on that (rubber one side, metal on the other? or it could be black plastic).

the long metal stick is NOT tight in the big circle piece.. in fact, it's very loose. and once you hit PLAY, the big piece keeps spinning, but the long metal stick is completely still.

there seem to be two black circles on the big circle piece that MIGHT have something to do with tightening around the metal stick, but i'm not sure..

suggestions .... .. please? :)

Could it be the belt?

Hey Newbie,

Going through the same problem with my 388. I've had issues in the past where fixing the fuses remedied the problem, but this time think I need to underneath to take a look at either the belt, or motor..

Thinking the belt you may have gotten as a replacement would explain the wow and flutter (or warble). Just a hunch.

Here's to hoping we can both conquer our issues with these beasts. They sound fantastic, and I'd still prefer to be recording and even mastering to my 388 than my LE Pro Fools rig.

Best!
~ MJ

Im having problems with my 388. ffw/rew work fine. when I press play the pinch roller engages but the tape does not advance. The capstan roller does not move at all. I followed the advice from several other forums by checking fuses and belt and all check ok. the belt and pulleys move freely. when I took the bottom panel off I did notice below the right take up motor a little device that looks like some thermal overload with a resistor soldered the connectors. the resistor looks fried and the two yellow wire leads were blackened like it took on some heat. any have an idea what that might be in addiotion to my play back problems? thanks.

Back